1.    #1  
    So while we know the Pre battery life is not the greatest, I have really been ok with it and able to work around it by always being near a charger in my car or home/office.

But this just started happening a few days ago and Im wondering if its something in the Pre, or the battery is just going bad?

I have it fully charged, at 100%. Do a few things, maybe some video watching, some texting, some web, email, some calls, just normal stuff. And in like about mid day, it says like 66%. That may have been the last time I looked, maybe an hour ago, with it just sitting for that hour.

Then all of a sudden, its sitting on the desk, and I hear the tone, and its telling me its about to shut off for low battery. The battery icon now says 0%

How is it going from 66% to 0% in an hour, when not in use?
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Im glad i am not the only one experiencing this! Mine doesnt seem as bad as yours (66 to zero? WOW!) I'll go from like 26% to the low batt warning. I have 2 different batteries and they BOTH do the same thing. So, pretty sure its not the battery......although i guess it could be?
    Usually I hear this about people who have their phone go from 10% to 0% instantly. Typically, this is the result of the battery losing capacity or possibility from thermal degradation (aka when you let it heat up it up too high).

It's also possible for two batteries to succumb to the same effect. I had this happen personally and bought a second battery for 10 bucks. Fixed my issue and now I have a spare battery as well.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    So while we know the Pre battery life is not the greatest, I have really been ok with it and able to work around it by always being near a charger in my car or home/office.

But this just started happening a few days ago and Im wondering if its something in the Pre, or the battery is just going bad?

I have it fully charged, at 100%. Do a few things, maybe some video watching, some texting, some web, email, some calls, just normal stuff. And in like about mid day, it says like 66%. That may have been the last time I looked, maybe an hour ago, with it just sitting for that hour.

Then all of a sudden, its sitting on the desk, and I hear the tone, and its telling me its about to shut off for low battery. The battery icon now says 0%

How is it going from 66% to 0% in an hour, when not in use?
    Trust me it's the cells in the batt causing this issue. I was having the same problem, replace the batt and batt percent back to it's norm. These rechargable batt cells is whack, and then we blame other stuff on our device. You don't even get a year out of your batt anymore. Whenever your batt start to drop power significantly, nine times out of ten it's the cells in the batt causing this problem. I would recommend changing your batt every six months to a year, depending on often you charge your phone.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks.. I guess a new battery is in store for me..

This is the same battery that came with the Pre almost a year ago.. so maybe its just seen its time
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

i dont really think its the battery these batteries are nothing like the older one that you were supposed to let drain all the way down when you first get them. these are totally different tech. and i believe its something else getting stuck like maybe a memory leak or something like that . i would do some tests like figure out what exactly causes it . do everything you did the last time again and see if it does this again. then try again and leave something out and so on and so forth.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    The main question is can you effectively and easily reproduce the issue on a given basis. If something gets caught in the memory and is running in the background without you realizing it then you are going to get lots of battery drain.

If it's an actual problem whether it's the device or the battery you should be able to reproduce the issue every single time.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    This happened to me yesterday. I was around 40% and I went to mow my yard, 30 minutes later, the phone was really hot and was at 14%. I turned it off, let it cool down, then charged it. But, Today it was fine.
    Time to get VIRAL
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll give in and grab another battery.
    Thanks.. I guess a new battery is in store for me..

This is the same battery that came with the Pre almost a year ago.. so maybe its just seen its time
    I have the Pre + - last month I replaced a battery giving me the same kind of discharge rates - didn't upgrade, just purchased one via Amazon - Palm Pre Plus Pixi Standard Battery 3443ww - Amazon doesn't stock them, so I went to "see more buying choices" on that page and selected "Cell Depot". It arrived through priority mail, (USPS), about 5 days later. Charged it fully, then ran it down to 10% before fully charging it again. Have had NO problems since.

Battery = $12.49 - Shipping = $2.99

I wish all problems could be handled so cheap. (OBTW, the Battery arrive with Palm stamped on it, had the same numbers on the back, and I checked the physical packaging for an exact match before putting it in my phone).
    I have to agree with Shadavis08, my original battery lasts longer than my 1350Mah Seido. If you have managed to run the battery down to zero however, it won't recover. These batteries don't do very well once they've been exhausted. I would recommend getting a second battery. The Mugen 1400Mah would be a good choice, but also check all your settings and make sure a recent app you might have installed is not the culprit.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  12.    #12  
    Hmmm well there have been times, when the battery ran down to zero, like if I went to bed and forgot to either leave it on charge, or put it in airplane mode.

I have not really added any apps, that I can remember, but what settings would I want to check for any memory leaks.

I think I will go get a new battery anyway.. so, the Mugen 1400Mah would be a good choice?

Any recommended places to get that, for the best price?

I Pre

As far as settings, I meant the normal things that are recommended in the battery life saving tips threads, like turning off Location Sevices for example.
    The best place to get that battery that I know of would be here: Palm Pre Extended Replacement Batteries and Accessories
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    I have the Pre + - last month I replaced a battery giving me the same kind of discharge rates - didn't upgrade, just purchased one via Amazon - Palm Pre Plus Pixi Standard Battery 3443ww - Amazon doesn't stock them, so I went to "see more buying choices" on that page and selected "Cell Depot". It arrived through priority mail, (USPS), about 5 days later. Charged it fully, then ran it down to 10% before fully charging it again. Have had NO problems since.

Battery = $12.49 - Shipping = $2.99

I wish all problems could be handled so cheap. (OBTW, the Battery arrive with Palm stamped on it, had the same numbers on the back, and I checked the physical packaging for an exact match before putting it in my phone).
    I did a similar thing as well, but I got mine off Ebay. Just make sure you find the OEM ones for the Palm Pre. There are tons on ones that for the Centro, but you have to look at the pictures for the Pre one. I bought it for about $8 and works as well as it should. I've both two this way. (Lost the first battery)

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I think I will go get a new battery anyway.. so, the Mugen 1400Mah would be a good choice?

Any recommended places to get that, for the best price?
    I think the coupon code PIXISPECIAL will get you a discount on the Mugen. I have that battery now and so far I like it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Yeah I have had this issue for at least a month or two now. I got my phone in November a Sprint Pre. I will be using it and it will just drop to zero out of the blue. I have had to go to 0% from as high as 30%. Glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem.
    Since a couple of weeks I have the very same problem. So I looked into the logfile.
    WebOS is calculating the capacity of the battery with a formula including the age:
    Code:
    : {powerd}: CHG_LOGIC: BatteryOverchargeFault overcharge diag: raw = (582.5) > 1006f (full_mAh [1183.12] * age [49.2188] / 100) = (582.319))
    So it seems I have left 1/2 of original capacity after 1/2 year :-(
    I tried everything I've found on the web to recalibrate the battery but nothing helped.

So it's time for a new one.