1.    #1  
    Holy f'n hell! My phone just decided to do a COMPLETE ERASE while it was in my pocket, playing a podcast! Podcast suddenly stops and when I pull it out to look at it, the small spinning orb with a circular progress bar is up with "Do Not Remove the Battery!" at the bottom.

It erased my pictures and music, but somehow retained all my patches.

The last thing I did (besides playing a podcast) was installed P2GoogleVoice via Preware. Oh, and Preware is gone, as well as SaveRestore and Govnah.

I have occasionally pocket "dialed" things like launch apps and emails, but what would one have to do to make this happen??
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Wow. I feel for you.
    You think "slide to erase" would be a smart feature.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Contacts are still there correct? This happened to my wifes stock, launch day phone while she was listening to her music. everything on the USB side was gone, and she hadn't backed anything up in a while. What is going on? From other posts we are not the first.
    I really don't understand how you pocket dial things when the touch screen is made for fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    This is really scary -- this sounds exactly like this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...verything.html

I have heard this now quite a few times and really has me worried...
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Happened to me a few weeks ago. Sent logs to Hardbeatz and they are looking into it.

One possibility... when your phone logs out of the Palm profile you are prompted to erase or reboot (something to that effect). Since several of us who have had this problem seem to have had our phones in our pockets at the time, I wonder if our phones logged out of the palm profile (recovery from this should be more graceful!!!) and the erase button got bumped.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    My occurance:

Spontaneous Hard Reset
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I really don't understand how you pocket dial things when the touch screen is made for fingers.
    Could be his nipple while its in his shirt pocket ? lol just a thought
    Have you ever removed your Pre from the PC while it was in USB mode before ejecting it? doing so can cause data corruption the Pre See's this data and cant read it so it thinks its a problem with the media and does a reset to fix it I am not saying this is what happened to you but this happens more then you think... I called palm about this my roomies Pre has reset it self 3 times he was never ejecting the Pre before unplugging it from the computer while it was in USB mode... Once he stopped doing that it never reset its self again...
    That's a damn shame. Hope you have a backup.
    well my wife has small pockets, one time she kept it in her pocket in front of me, and bend over to pick our son, and I heard a sound from pre. Took it out and she had managed to press power on and off button with Jason's advanced patch installed asking her what she want to do, ...soft reset....hard reset.... device shutdown.... and so on.... Luckily we caught it before anything happened. On w learned from this is always turn screen off before putting the phone in pocket.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just happened to me as well. I woke up to an erased phone everything was gone usb drive, sms... everything except the patches. self restoring phone???

I tried to recover files with MANY programs, but in the end i had to start all over...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ian410 View Post
    That's a damn shame. Hope you have a backup.
    I had a backup from a few months ago, and I had gotten most of the pics off except for a bunch of inventory shots I took this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee
    I always put the screen facing in so it is against my thigh. If I'm walking and I adjust the volume, a notification comes up or anything else lights up the screen, the capacitive screen screen can be triggered through my pants. Now that Palm made the "slide to unlock" work with a simple up-swipe from the gesture area, the "lock" isn't nearly as hard to unlock.

I'm still not sure what I did to initiate a full wipe, though.

My contacts, calendar and email resync'd, but things like Speed Dials, dialing shortcuts, ringtone, sound and display prefs, wifi connection keys and bluetooth pairings were all gone. Most of the apps re-downloaded, but I lost all of the data within them. Mileage data, podcast subscriptions, passwords, texts, Amazon MP3s, all gone.

Of course, most of my homebrew had to be reloaded from WOSQI and Preware didn't think any of the patches were installed despite them ALL working as expected. The uberkernel was still in place, but Govnah wasn't.

All in all, a huge PITA. Thanks for listening to me kvetch.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    If this happens you should really visit the doctor and reinstall your patches. The information about what was installed was trashed but all of the patches (which are not kept on the USB drive) are still installed. Unfortunately, save/restore lives on the USB drive and so you have to have that backed up to another device in order for it to be of use.

Also, this is definitely not caused by unplugging the USB drive without erasing it. I almost never use the USB drive, and that particular condition should only happen immediately after unplugging the device.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    If this happens you should really visit the doctor and reinstall your patches. The information about what was installed was trashed but all of the patches (which are not kept on the USB drive) are still installed. Unfortunately, save/restore lives on the USB drive and so you have to have that backed up to another device in order for it to be of use.

Also, this is definitely not caused by unplugging the USB drive without erasing it. I almost never use the USB drive, and that particular condition should only happen immediately after unplugging the device.
    could an error in the PalmDatabase.db3 file cause this? i bet this is a rwhitby question...