Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Hi, does anyone know what exactly the Network settings mean, specifically, data roaming 'enabled or disabled', and data usage 'on and off'. I am consistently in areas with low signal strength and looking for ways to improve battery life.

Thanks!
    so the data usage on off means just that, the phone won't try to always connect to data and will not be getting email or other updates. it can help with battery to turn it off, sometimes.

similarly data roaming on off is for just that but when you are roaming. I find that this does help me in low signal areas

If you find you are constantly going into areas where your carrier dosn't have good service, but there is a roaming carrier that the phone seems to always switch too, than i would very very strongly recommend using homebrew.

I use a patch that allows me to select a "roaming only" option. this makes it so that with the flick of a switch i can make my phone select the roaming partner only (verizon in my case) and turn off the data usage. this completely eliminates the battery loss normally associated with being in a poor primary carrier signal area where it constantly switches to roaming.

there are many patches that encorporate this feature. one amalgamation i like is the device menuq mega-mix with media volume control. it adds lots of other good functions and is always immediately accessible by a right corner swipe down.

you have been around the forums for a while, so i imagine you are familiar with homebrew. but just in case you haven't waded into those waters yet, here's a link to the primer
    http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    Last edited by windzilla; 06/22/2010 at 01:03 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I use a patch that allows me to select a "roaming only" option. this makes it so that with the flick of a switch i can make my phone select the roaming partner only (verizon in my case) and turn off the data usage. this completely eliminates the battery loss normally associated with being in a poor primary carrier signal area where it constantly switches to roaming.

]
    So generally speaking, if you turn data roaming to disabled, should that save the battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    So generally speaking, if you turn data roaming to disabled, should that save the battery?
    If you turn data roaming to OFF, then it will only allow voice signal when you roam.

If you turn data roaming to ON< then it will allow voice/data signals when you roam.

If you never roam, then this will not affect your battery or signal at all.

You should rarely be roaming anyways.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.