1.    #1  
    Hiya,

For the last couple of days my Pre has been doing things really slowly! There seems to be a lag inpretty much everything (although not all the time) - from the touch screen being not as quick to respond as it used to be to things like the messaging app and the internet taking ages to register text imput. And its been going on for a cuple of days now and is getting really annoying...

The only thing that I can think of that I have done to my Pre recently which could have caused this (although im not sure how) is putting the 'Launch Brightness Unlinked on Startup' patch on however I have since removed this patch and it still is very laggy...I don't want to be accused of blaming this or any other patch as I have no proof that it caused the lag I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or had any suggestions for getting my Pre back to normal speed?
    Well if your lag is due to software then a doctor will put it back right.
    Plus if you doctor you can then test whether the patch you named caused the lag by reinstalling it on the fresh pre and then removing it.
    Both mine and my lady's Pre's have suddenly slowed down considerably within the past few weeks. Seemed to be out of nowhere too.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I have also seen things where the launcher is really slow, but all opened apps are normal speed, weird...
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Have you rebooted lately?
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
    yeah, I did a reboot the first time I saw this and device came back fine. I noticed this after installing some apps (NewsRoom, PowerNap, AncientFrog, and Radio Hibiki)
    Also, if I click on Newsroom, with it already opened, from the launcher, the launcher does NOT go to it, just just highlights the icon and then does nothing. (Stays in launcher)

Looks like this, also I can see the app does a refresh after I press it.
    Last edited by jamhandman; 06/22/2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I've noticed with a few of the apps I've downloaded they just won't work on my device. I've tried uninstalling them and reinstalling. Some were fixed, others I just went ahead and deleted. I assume it's a glich in some the apps that are still being tweaked for the phone.
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
    Try doing this.. Remove your batt and hold down the ringer/mute switch for five seconds. This should fix the issues. If not then run a webos utility repair which will fix all system that as been modified from their original state. (Note) webos repair won't erase any patches/themes etc. I really don't think patches can slow up yor phone. Good luck. :-)
    Is that like a hard reset? What does Holding the Power button do?
    i am overclocked to 800, and i notice the opposite.... my phone is fast, responsive, and just downright awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    Is that like a hard reset? What does Holding the Power button do?
    Rod Whitby from internals had suggested doing this after removing the battery. I know the process is to make the phone operate effeciantly.
    I am running the UberKernel, and has been great up until Sunday when I started to see these slow downs.

I also notice that Govnah was having issues setting the CPU speed to 800 with the Screen State profile. Weird...but that appears to of gone away.
    I did the restart and didn't help with the newsroom issue, do you think it's a app specific issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    hold down the ringer/mute switch for five seconds.

its a switch not a pushbutton. Do you mean the volume and/or power button?
    Quote Originally Posted by icklepriest View Post
    For the last couple of days my Pre has been doing things really slowly! There seems to be a lag inpretty much everything (although not all the time) - from the touch screen being not as quick to respond as it used to be to things like the messaging app and the internet taking ages to register text imput. And its been going on for a cuple of days now and is getting really annoying...
    The first thing to try is a simple reboot (Orange-Sym-R) or a Luna restart (Luna Manager app). webOS (or some apps) seems to have some memory leaks, and over time it will degrade the performance. I tend to do a Luna restart at least once a week. I believe there's an app that allows you to schedule a reboot each night (which isn't a bad idea). You can also try a hardware reboot, which is a power down and battery pull.

If that doesn't fix it, then you should probably try to use the webOS Doctor to restore your OS to it's original state. It is possible that it's been corrupted somehow, or some combination of apps/patches is causing a problem.
    It's funny that my Pre Plus randomly paused for couple of second lately. It's really annoying. I think it's because of the half price apps deal lately. I bought like 6 apps last few days and now I am noticing the lagging. I did reboot my pre few times but that doesn't really help that much. For example, last night my daughter was dancing so I quickly took my Pre Plus out and clicked on camera, but it opened the app but doing nothing, black screen. I had to reboot but by then my daughter finished her dance and didn't want to do it again, she is only 2.