Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Just when I thought my pre was "tweaked" enough to not throw it out the window I ran into yet another lag issue that I never really noticed, at least not until I started using it.

This time it's with the camera and viewing photos. I don't really have a lot of use for the camera in general but I went on a trip recently and a camera on a phone really comes in handy.

My first problem surfaced when I actually tapped on the phone icon to start the app. It took unusually long, long to the point I thought the phone had froze. Once the app finally loaded the camera seemed to work well. This lag was consistent throughout the trip.

One incident that was outright embarrassing occurred when I planned on using the phone to take a pic of my wife and I. The waiter offered to take the pic and even suggested he use his iphone and offered to email me the photo (no doubt working on a larger tip). I told him I have a camera phone and tapped the camera icon. This time not only did the app freeze but the whole phone froze. Now I have to pull the battery, It was not a pretty sight as my pre lay in 3 pieces on the dinner table (back cover, battery, phone). What a joke!

Another problem I noticed is when viewing photos, a swipe to view the next photo for some reason blurs the photo before eventually clearing up. The lag is very similar to when the calendar used to lag when loading data for the next day. Sometimes the photo lag is long enough where it leads you to believe the photo was actually taken blurry.

I've given the pre so many chances but my patience is wearing thin.
    You were right the first time, you should of thrown that piece of junk out the window, the Pre is old buggy, laggy junk that's worth a penny.
    Are you running at 800MHz?
    Same thing happens to me and I'm running at 800MHz. Is this a known issue at 800MHz?
    just tested mines with my browser open and music remix, sprint tv at the menu, youtube, and video open and my cam takes about 2 seconds to load up. I do have the 800mhz patch. But if I try to open my photo it's says to many cards.
    This occurs with my Sprint Pre all the time, it is so bad that if I want to show someone a photo that I don't even say anything until I open the app, then swipe to the photo and have it resolve to high resolution. That process alone sometimes takes 30 - 60 seconds, it's downright embarassing. :-(
    YUP...happens to me too.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    yes, it's a original pre from sprint . Am I to assume the pre plus does not have any of the camera/photo issues?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Happens to me also even that i was installed the Upper Kernal and set my Pre to Fixed Speed MHz800!

If your running Palm Default Kernal and you taking and viewing alot of photos then you need to restart your pre every single one hour at least!! thats funny for a 400USD smartphone!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I suggest the Pre Plus.. it's such a fix. I don't have any of those problems.
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    you may have a point regarding restart. Now that I think of it I was also using the phone as a gps device all day which worked fairly well.

maybe it was just too much to ask for my little ole pre to start in camera mode without a fresh restart.

guess I'll have to remind myself to restart before "major" use of my pre.

(I told you I give my pre too many chances )
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Just when I thought my pre was "tweaked" enough to not throw it out the window I ran into yet another lag issue that I never really noticed, at least not until I started using it.

This time it's with the camera and viewing photos. I don't really have a lot of use for the camera in general but I went on a trip recently and a camera on a phone really comes in handy.

My first problem surfaced when I actually tapped on the phone icon to start the app. It took unusually long, long to the point I thought the phone had froze. Once the app finally loaded the camera seemed to work well. This lag was consistent throughout the trip.

One incident that was outright embarrassing occurred when I planned on using the phone to take a pic of my wife and I. The waiter offered to take the pic and even suggested he use his iphone and offered to email me the photo (no doubt working on a larger tip). I told him I have a camera phone and tapped the camera icon. This time not only did the app freeze but the whole phone froze. Now I have to pull the battery, It was not a pretty sight as my pre lay in 3 pieces on the dinner table (back cover, battery, phone). What a joke!

Another problem I noticed is when viewing photos, a swipe to view the next photo for some reason blurs the photo before eventually clearing up. The lag is very similar to when the calendar used to lag when loading data for the next day. Sometimes the photo lag is long enough where it leads you to believe the photo was actually taken blurry.

I've given the pre so many chances but my patience is wearing thin.
    Hi, y'all.

I'm using a sprint palm pre and I also notice a lag on opening pics, and swiping from one to the other. I believe this has to do with the photo mechanizm built in the phone. These phone takes high resolution pics,and the pre/plus does take a little time in developing these pics. Why? Good question! Answer- Anyone guess. There is a lot of issues with the pre/plus,but hopefully the C40 will correct all or most fault the Pre/Plus has. I do love my phone though,but it can be a real pain in the *** sometime. ;-)
    Last edited by rush; 06/22/2010 at 09:13 AM.
    I notice this on mine (Sprint Pre - Turned 1 year old today, with UK running 500-800MHz Screenstate) only when my battery is at 50% or lower. If my battery is over 50% or so, I don't notice any considerable lag in the camera or photo viewer.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    (update) I'm always experimenting on my phone... So I did a webos utility repair,then a batt pull hold down the ringer/mute button for three seconds. Phone feel and move snappier now,as for as the noticeable lag on the photo/video app,well.. the same but it work. :-)
    mine has never had any of the problems noted here. photos render rather quickly, camera has no lag whatsoever.. video has no lag either... i have noticed viewing photos on the web or facebook, that they render slowly when i have a poor signal..
    I have the problem when running @ 800... open Govnah, switch back to 500, and it works.
    Sprint Pre, no modifications, photos lag lag lag lag lag.
    Ive noticed it ever since the update that added the video - camera lag and freezing - Im missing shots!!! and photo lag - the blurry used to *snap clean* instantly, now it takes several seconds and moving pic to pic - the other day I was swiping 3/4 times to get the next pic (of course at an inconvenient time when I needed to be snappy about it!)

I loved the PRE Camera originally but not so much now
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This occurs with my Sprint Pre all the time, it is so bad that if I want to show someone a photo that I don't even say anything until I open the app, then swipe to the photo and have it resolve to high resolution. That process alone sometimes takes 30 - 60 seconds, it's downright embarassing. :-(
    I am completely with you. I have a Sprint Pre and the resolution lag can take up to a minute to clear up the picture you are viewing. What makes it worse is when you try to swipe through your picture roll. This lag can be so bag that I have to restart the app again causing my phone to completely freeze. I can't speak for the Pre Plus but the Sprint Pre is unbearable.

I would also like video and pictures in one roll instead of the being separate. I will be carful for what I wish for; don't want to crash the over worked processor even more.