Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    So I think I am going to do the Doctor on my pre for the first time in hopes that it speeds things up a bit. What files can I backup? I know I can get pictures and videos off of the device, but what else do I need to get off that Sprint does not store in the cloud? What about Notes, tasks and memos? Will they be restored? Will I lose all scores and progress from games? What about addesses stores in GPS? Anything else?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dentz View Post
    So I think I am going to do the Doctor on my pre for the first time in hopes that it speeds things up a bit. What files can I backup? I know I can get pictures and videos off of the device, but what else do I need to get off that Sprint does not store in the cloud? What about Notes, tasks and memos? Will they be restored? Will I lose all scores and progress from games? What about addesses stores in GPS? Anything else?
    thanks
    Are you familiar with the Save/Restore app in Preware ( http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...velopment.html )? I would check that out, and it will save a LOT of current data from the apps. However, please be aware that not all apps are currently supported. If you have any apps or games that are not supported, please post in that thread and we can try to create scripts for those apps, too. Note that if the app is a paid app, you may need to put up a bounty for that (see the first post in that thread for more info)

also, you may want to take a copy of your /var/luna/data/dbdata/palmdatabase.db3 file ... while you will not be able to directly reinstall this file, it does include a LOT of data (contacts, calendars, memos, etc) for reference in case something goes wrong with your reinstall!

also, it would be a good idea to take a complete copy of your USB drive, with the exception of the /.palm directory. no need to copy that!

let me know if you have any questions
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    if you just want to save a list of patches so you can restore the ones you are using so you can get your phone back the same as it was before doctor . You can hit the saved package list in preware and it will do that for you .
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if you just want to save a list of patches so you can restore the ones you are using so you can get your phone back the same as it was before doctor . You can hit the saved package list in preware and it will do that for you .
    That alone will not do it...you need the save/restore app to backup that "saved package list" and then restore it later
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I will look into the Save/Restore app. thanks
    And I will probably start over with the patches I have. Get rid of a few and try a few different ones.
    For now I have installed the UberKernel and Govnah to see if that helps battery life. So far today I am draining at 5.36 per Hour. Better than yesterday, but I havn't done much.
    I will look into the Save/Restore app. thanks
    And I will probably start over with the patches I have. Get rid of a few and try a few different ones.
    For now I have installed the UberKernel and Govnah to see if that helps battery life. So far today I am draining at 5.36 per Hour. Better than yesterday, but I havn't done much.
    How are you checking the drain per hour? Are you using the battery monitor app? if so, how often are you checking the battery level? The reason i ask is that it have been found that using a 1 or 5 minute interval can actually have a negative effect on the battery life. I would recommend at least 15 minutes for the interval. I noticed that it could be a difference of 10% drain/hr vs 5% drain/hr vs 3% drain when using 1 min vs 5 min vs 15 minutes, respectively

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    How are you checking the drain per hour? Are you using the battery monitor app? if so, how often are you checking the battery level? The reason i ask is that it have been found that using a 1 or 5 minute interval can actually have a negative effect on the battery life. I would recommend at least 15 minutes for the interval. I noticed that it could be a difference of 10% drain/hr vs 5% drain/hr vs 3% drain when using 1 min vs 5 min vs 15 minutes, respectively
    I have it set for 1 minute. Are you saying that the Battery Monitor may be draining the battery? I'll change the setting and see where we go from there. There is no 15 minute choice. I'll try 10.
    Thanks.
    I have it set for 1 minute. Are you saying that the Battery Monitor may be draining the battery? I'll change the setting and see where we go from there. There is no 15 minute choice. I'll try 10.
    Thanks.
    That is EXACTLY what I am saying. And yes, i see that there is no 15 minutes..i must have meant 10. but i would experiment with the 5, 10 and 30 minute options and see if you get different results. the reality is that if you are testing over a short time period (say, over 30 minutes), obviously the 1 minute option will keep better track of how things are moving than a 30 minute option, but it may take more battery..

if you are testing over a 6 hour timeframe, the 1 min or 30 minutes option should give you about the same in the end!

good luck

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ok so what do you have to do with the saved package list, before dr. Do i do a save/restore then do a back up of all the files that are in the usb drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    ok so what do you have to do with the saved package list, before dr. Do i do a save/restore then do a back up of all the files that are in the usb drive?
    here is what you need to do:

1) Load up Preware, click "saved packaged list", and then click "update"
    2) Open Up Save/Restore, click "save application data" and make sure "preware" is selected, along with any other pieces you want to save, and then click the "save selected" button
    3) back up the "saverestore" directory on your USB drive to your computer

After a doctor:

4) Put back on Preware and save/restore.
    5) Open up Save/Restore, and restore JUST the Preware feed
    6) Open up Preware, click saved packages list, and then click Install All. THIS CAN TAKE A WHILE!
    7) Once everything is installed, its a good idea to open up each app that you want to restore Data to at least once to initialize the databases/cookies for those apps
    8) Open up Save/restore, then restore all the data for all the apps
    9) Do a LUNA restart

You should be good to go! (i think)

questions?

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Does preware save remember the patches too??
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Does preware save remember the patches too??
    Yes. it remembers all homebrew apps/services and all patches.

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    The doctor visit went well. It took about an hour but now the phone isRestoring apps and syncing accounts. After that I will use Save/Restore to bring back data. And hopefully my battery life and a few other issues will be resolved.
    i gotta say, doctoring my phone earlier today definitely made my phone run a lot smoother/faster. its like a brand new phone again.