Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. stanis3k's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #1  
    alright so this is a growing problem thats irking me & people keep complaining about.

    before i got the palm pre i used to have a blackberry 8330 and i used to get great reception with it and never really had any dropped calls or fading signals and i always used to have @ least 3 bars with the blackberry

    now i have the pre, reception is spotty at best but it seems to have gotten worse over the past 2 months, i constantly get dropped calls every time, and when i do make calls ppl always complain that they can barely hear me, and also i barely have 1 bar on the pre

    this never happened with the blackberry so i know for a fact that its not sprint but rather the weak azz radio in the pre.

    i still have my blackberry as my back up phone, now my question is is there a way to activate it just to use it for voice calls here at home cuz this pre is not cutting it plus im stuck with the pre till december when i eligible for my yearly upgrade

    what are my options

    also are there any things i can do to improve the reception for the pre?
  2. #2  
    different phones have different reception fingerprint/characteristics. Maybe the Pre just sucks in your location...maybe your particular Pre has a reception issue (hardware). Try a PRL update.
  3. #3  
    My experience, on all 5 of the pre's that I've owned, is that there's something wrong with the Pre's radio or the firmware that controls it. Because I've had several other sprint phones - including a Pixi (my son's) - that simply don't have the radio problems that I have w/my pre.

    If you want to see what I'm talking about, take a look at this . At the 4:15 mark, the Pre's signal strength goes from 5 bars to 1. Then at 4:25 mark it jumps back up to 5 bars.

    This happens to me all the time. I've even seen this happen when my phone is w/in 3 feet of an airave. I keep hoping that the next firmware release will fix it. I haven't noticed it on any of the 5 other sprint phones that I've owned, including the Pixi.

    It's very irritating and it causes further problems in that it sucks battery life while trying to search for signal.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  4. #4  
    have you called sprint to ask about it? They have been working on towers every like crazy testing and replacing repeaters
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    My experience, on all 5 of the pre's that I've owned, is that there's something wrong with the Pre's radio or the firmware that controls it. Because I've had several other sprint phones - including a Pixi (my son's) - that simply don't have the radio problems that I have w/my pre.

    If you want to see what I'm talking about, take a look at this . At the 4:15 mark, the Pre's signal strength goes from 5 bars to 1. Then at 4:25 mark it jumps back up to 5 bars.

    This happens to me all the time. I've even seen this happen when my phone is w/in 3 feet of an airave. I keep hoping that the next firmware release will fix it. I haven't noticed it on any of the 5 other sprint phones that I've owned, including the Pixi.

    It's very irritating and it causes further problems in that it sucks battery life while trying to search for signal.
    Same. I think there is something in the OS that's interfering with it as well and Palm surely knows about it, but think they can explain it away with "bad coverage." Whatever. The wifi on the phone is weak as hell, too. I wish they would do something to fix it, but seriously, the closer my upgrade in September gets here, the better getting a new device, webOS or not, looks.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stanis3k View Post
    alright so this is a growing problem thats irking me & people keep complaining about.

    before i got the palm pre i used to have a blackberry 8330 and i used to get great reception with it and never really had any dropped calls or fading signals and i always used to have @ least 3 bars with the blackberry

    now i have the pre, reception is spotty at best but it seems to have gotten worse over the past 2 months, i constantly get dropped calls every time, and when i do make calls ppl always complain that they can barely hear me, and also i barely have 1 bar on the pre

    this never happened with the blackberry so i know for a fact that its not sprint but rather the weak azz radio in the pre.

    i still have my blackberry as my back up phone, now my question is is there a way to activate it just to use it for voice calls here at home cuz this pre is not cutting it plus im stuck with the pre till december when i eligible for my yearly upgrade

    what are my options

    also are there any things i can do to improve the reception for the pre?
    For you to have five phones with the same issue seems odd, does this issue occur in other locations or just when you are at home?

    The Pre and Pixi both meet industry standards for cellular radios, so although there may always be some slight discrepancy from one device to another it should almost be unnoticeable.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    For you to have five phones with the same issue seems odd, does this issue occur in other locations or just when you are at home?
    I assume you were actually responding to me, since the OP didn't mention having 5 phones and I did.

    In any case, what I experience happens everywhere. Even when very near a tower or an airave. But it only happens on the Pre. On all my other sprint phones (including pixi & centro) this doesn't happen.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  8. stanis3k's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #8  
    ^^^yup same with me, only happens with the pre
  9. #9  
    Actually my Pre has better reception than my BB did where I live (in the foothills).
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    My experience, on all 5 of the pre's that I've owned, is that there's something wrong with the Pre's radio or the firmware that controls it. Because I've had several other sprint phones - including a Pixi (my son's) - that simply don't have the radio problems that I have w/my pre.

    If you want to see what I'm talking about, take a look at this At the 4:15 mark, the Pre's signal strength goes from 5 bars to 1. Then at 4:25 mark it jumps back up to 5 bars.

    This happens to me all the time. I've even seen this happen when my phone is w/in 3 feet of an airave. I keep hoping that the next firmware release will fix it. I haven't noticed it on any of the 5 other sprint phones that I've owned, including the Pixi.

    It's very irritating and it causes further problems in that it sucks battery life while trying to search for signal.
    I have had 2 Pre's over the last year and both do the same thing. It happens at home or at work, I didnt have a problem with my last phone before the Pre. I can watch the bars going up then 5 minutes later down with out ever moving my phone.

    Now all the sudden in the last 2 weeks it drops all the way down in to roaming. While it drains my battery, went into sprint and they said everything looks fine. There only suggestion is to do a hard reboot.

    As far as I can tell there is no way to move my txt & Sms messages. I was told I would lose all of that info, Also my tasks. I keep a lot of customer messages as well as I have project pictures that have been sent to me that way. Theres way to many to try & forward.

    Any one have any suggestions how to move them off of there. This is my first time posting so sorry for any mistakes if i did this wrong
  11. stanis3k's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #11  
    ^^how do you do a hard reboot?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by stanis3k View Post
    ^^how do you do a hard reboot?
    Hard reboot = full erase. Go to Device Info > Reset Options > Full Erase.

    I'm actually on the phone with Sprint about reception issues right now. I'll see how it turns out. They're all, "Your phones in a good area, don't know why it isn't working...".

    ETA: Oh, and now I'm getting transferred to Technical Support for real! I guess pressing the number 3 for Tech Support is just for fun.

    ETA2: Well, they are sending me Pre number 3. They had be update the PRL while I was with them and they said for some reason that my phone is not connecting to the nearest tower. So, they are sending me a replacement and they also advised me to get a number local to the area because the number I have is out of state. I don't have a lot of people with my number, so not a big deal, although I'm going to miss my old college number...sniffles.
    Last edited by malpha; 06/23/2010 at 08:17 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  13. stanis3k's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #13  
    so from what they said, its a problem with a particular pre?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by stanis3k View Post
    so from what they said, its a problem with a particular pre?
    The lady I talked to said that the device should be roaming above zero or one bar based on my area (seriously, in my house it goes from zero/one bar on Sprint to Roaming, it's all over the place, I should videotape it one day) and since it isn't, it sounds like a problem with the phone. Now whether it's my particular phone or the phone model, she didn't say and I can't say except to say that Pre #1 didn't do much better, but that...had a giant plastic piece missing off the side where I'd dropped it, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for that. So she was sending me a new phone and said that I should also change my number to a local area to see if that helps the tower connection issue (but also she said that even if the phone number wasn't local, the reception shouldn't be as bad as it is, except that it may roam more...but it should roam better than it is roaming).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM

Posting Permissions