1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've been trying to follow the million confusing threads about battery life extension.
    Some of the suggestions people make are quite obvious, others somewhat unexpected (I didn't realize wifi was more efficient to use if available).

People say you should turn of all gps and navigation services.
    I didn't sign up for the $10 GPS service, and my "background data collection" was already set to off (I unchecked the box when first setting up my my pre).
    But the "auto locate" is set to on. Should I turn that off? Will that help.

I don't use bluetooth, I dimmed the screen a bit, and I changed my email so it checks only every 15 minutes. I have not set up any instant messaging programs. I have the Facebook app, but I'm assuming that if I discard the app, it is no longer running in the background.

Any other proven suggestions would be great, because after having the phone for two days, it seems it can barely make it through an 10 hour day of moderate use.
    The FB app will still check for notifications unless you turn that off in preferences.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    The FB app will still check for notifications unless you turn that off in preferences.
    Thanks. I switched it to once an hour.
    I installed the uberkernel and set govnah to "screenstate" and it has drastically improved my battery life. On a normal, light to medium use day, I used to be at about 20% to 30% by 10pm, and now I'm almost always above 50%, sometimes still above 60%.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hodie View Post
    I installed the uberkernel and set govnah to "screenstate" and it has drastically improved my battery life. On a normal, light to medium use day, I used to be at about 20% to 30% by 10pm, and now I'm almost always above 50%, sometimes still above 60%.

That sounds great, though I don't understand what your saying (uberkernal, govnah).
    I too have noticed much improved battery life after installing uberkernel and govnah. 10-15% better though the course of a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    That sounds great, though I don't understand what your saying (uberkernal, govnah).
    Its all in Preware, but if you don't know what the others are then chances are you don't know what Preware is either. Search for the Preware or Webos Quick Install thread and take a peek. Put some time aside though, it might take a while. Reading the threads, not finding them.
  8.    #8  
    I took a quick look. Apparently the warranty is voided if uber-kernal is installed?
    I have my email to not check at all just to manual this is also with FB notifications... My AIM and FB chat are signed out.... I have been using my phone moderately all day web,talk,text ,pciture messages .....took my phone off the charger at 9 am and I'm am now at 36% battery life. Still on the orginial battery.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    I have my email to not check at all just to manual this is also with FB notifications... My AIM and FB chat are signed out.... I have been using my phone moderately all day web,talk,text ,pciture messages .....took my phone off the charger at 9 am and I'm am now at 36% battery life. Still on the orginial battery.
    How do I tell if I'm signed in or out of FB chat?
  11.    #11  
    Also once you have both FB and email set to manual, how do you go about checking them? I don't see an option anywhere to select for this?
    Just as an aside, if you haven't seen it there is a timely article on the main page, here is a direct link:

How-to: Tips for improving battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    How do I tell if I'm signed in or out of FB chat?
    I think the facebook chat he's referring to is a hack by the homebrew community known as Facebook chat spoof. It tricks the messaging app on the pre into thinking facebook is google chat and allows you to chat with all your facebook friends... along with that it kills battery. I have a google chat account and I generally leave it off as I can't imagine an active connection with the google serves is healthy for the battery. As for the facebook app, i just turned notifications to manual. Facebook usually sends me emails whenever I receive a notification so i saw it kinda pointless to check both facebook and email. Also the facebook app automatically refreshes whenever you open it... that's the only method i can think of.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks - I actually read the tips in the link above earlier today.

One more question: my phone syncs the contacts and calendar with my google account. This is automatic. Is there any way to set that to manual? I couldn't find an opion.