1.    #1  
    Since I borked my phone by writing an incorrect IMEI to it using CDMA WS, the phone not only shows "off line" in the home screen, but I have noticed that even though the battery icon shows "Charging" the battery level just keeps dropping! Even having the battery completely discharged, and bootie screen showing the charging battery icon when plugged into my OEM Palm Pre charger, it can sit like that all day and still not charge up!

Is the routing of the charging current somehow controlled by a tty or dev that is not working now that the modem isn't alive? I noticed that when I Putty in and try and run any PmModemFactory or any other PmModem type command from within Linux, I get an error to the effect of "I can't even find ttyS" or something similar.

I am begining to suspect that all the problems I have had with this phone may be releated to a faulty Linux file system all along. Perhaps my internal SD card needs a complete wipe and reformat? WebOSDR can flash any update as far as writing the file system, and then at 64% (flashing the modem I learned from the Wiki) it hangs. Do I just have bad NVRAM that has finally called it quits, or could all of this be solved with a "full flash" ROM solution (as opposed to a WebOSDr solution)??
    Palm Pre
    Modded by myself to run on Cricket
    I know the Touchstone uses the comm subsystem of the modem. I wouldnt be surprised if a hosed modem borked all of the charging polling.
    Live free or DIE!
    Even though the radio is not functioning, it may be running at full power trying to make a connection anyway. This could possibly use power at a rate faster than the charger can replace. Try turning on airplane mode and charge.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveChelios View Post
    Even though the radio is not functioning, it may be running at full power trying to make a connection anyway. This could possibly use power at a rate faster than the charger can replace. Try turning on airplane mode and charge.
    I agree. Try airplane mode and let us know.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I had the exact same problem. my phone just suddenly went into 'phone offline' and the battery would not charge. did a quick test and gave me an error on modem. did a full erase and it did nothing. i went ahead and doctored my phone and it worked for about 4 hours(txting,calls,emails)then it went back to 'phone offline'. i honestly dont know if theres a fix for this. my only solution was to go my nearest repair center and swap it out for a refurb.
    If you bork the modem, the kernel will continue to try and poll it unsuccessfully, and will suck the life out of your battery.

Basically, it's toast now unless you can fix the modem, and no-one knows how to do that as far as I know.

I got a broken GSM Pre exhibiting the same symptoms, and diagnosed it down to this level. Basically the USB enumeration of the modem by the kernel fails repeatedly. You can see it in /var/log/messages ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals