1.    #1  
    So I was working on my car real early, had to change my bushings in my lower control arm and it was taking forever. I had my phone in my car and the sun came up directly on it. SERIOUSLY when I found my phone it was soooooo hot the blackness really screwed me. I was at my dads and had to drive 20 mins back to my house and my palm was only saying palm. I was going through what I had to do. Try battery pull,webos doctor, and a final resort at&t. I had it on my touchstone the ride back to my house and I guess my DEAD BATTERY SAVED MY PHONE FROM FRYING. HOLY I WaS NEVER SO HAPPY TO HAVE A DEAD BATTERY.

So I'm also wondering if at a certain temp while on it will shutdown?
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    do you have the battery temp alarm patch? It does that, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    So I was working on my car real early, had to change my bushings in my lower control arm and it was taking forever. I had my phone in my car and the sun came up directly on it. SERIOUSLY when I found my phone it was soooooo hot the blackness really screwed me. I was at my dads and had to drive 20 mins back to my house and my palm was only saying palm. I was going through what I had to do. Try battery pull,webos doctor, and a final resort at&t. I had it on my touchstone the ride back to my house and I guess my DEAD BATTERY SAVED MY PHONE FROM FRYING. HOLY I WaS NEVER SO HAPPY TO HAVE A DEAD BATTERY.

So I'm also wondering if at a certain temp while on it will shutdown?
    I have a patch which allows me to see the temp of the phone, and I believe it says that 40C and 45C are the highest you ever want to see with it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    I have a patch which allows me to see the temp of the phone, and I believe it says that 40C and 45C are the highest you ever want to see with it.
    yeah the patch checks every 5 mins and I wasn't around my phone to see if it was overheating.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    My Pre is usually around 55C when I take it off the touchstone...is that not good??
    Overheating isn't as big of an issue as some might expect; the OMAP3430 in our phones is classified with an operating range of -40 - +105 so unless your skin stuck to your phone while picking it up, your processor has been safe the entire time.

An issue bigger than frying your processor (which is what most people are afraid of in overheating scenarios) is actually your battery blowing up - despite the processor being fine up to boiling temperatures, batteries are volatile things and can explode given the right circumstances. Sustained high temperatures are certainly a right circumstance. I don't have any idea how hot a Pre battery would actually have to get before detonating. If I was a millionaire, I think I'd go take one for the team (that's the science team if you're wondering) and put mine into an oven and slowly raise the temperature to see what happens when.
    Overheating isn't as big of an issue as some might expect; the OMAP3430 in our phones is classified with an operating range of -40 - +70 so your processor has most likely been safe the entire time. OMAP 3530s are classified -40 - +105, so ours are possibly safe even beyond the 70 - TI just won't guarantee it.

An issue bigger than frying your processor (which is what most people are afraid of in overheating scenarios) is actually your battery blowing up - despite the processor being fine up to boiling temperatures, batteries are volatile things and can explode given the right circumstances. Sustained high temperatures are certainly a right circumstance. I don't have any idea how hot a Pre battery would actually have to get before detonating. If I was a millionaire, I think I'd go take one for the team (that's the science team if you're wondering) and put mine into an oven and slowly raise the temperature to see what happens when.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 06/24/2010 at 03:54 AM.