Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Can people use the WebOS like card view, while not paying Palm?

I saw the new iPhone4 multitasking and it looked an awful lot like WebOS card view, but in the notification area.

Can they do that?

Also is WebOS the only phone that does the non interrupt notifications? Android seem to do it non interrupt , but I am not sure. There is no video of a call coming in while they are doing something else.

Just trying to piece together how companies are able to sneakily take from WebOS
    Last edited by Vkitty; 06/20/2010 at 10:43 AM.
    That's how business works, companies "borrow" ideas from other companies and change them slightly to make their product better. Been going on for ages.

Also, Android had non-intrusive notifications before WebOS was even created so if anything, you could argue WebOS stole from Android
    This signature for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    That's how business works, companies "borrow" ideas from other companies and change them slightly to make their product better. Been going on for ages.

Also, Android had non-intrusive notifications before WebOS was even created so if anything, you could argue WebOS stole from Android
    Thats right. And while it may definately seem like some sneaky theft, and may be trouble for whoever originated and depends on the idea, it isn't as bad as you think.

What would you do if the GUI from the early versions of Windows weren't "theived" from Apple? What if Mapquest were the only ones able to show sattelite maps on a web browser?

It may be a downside for a developer, but its competition thats in favor of the consumer. Palm started with the idea, Apple tweaked it a lil, and now Palm/HP has to do it better. Which means better for us....

*Off to look at the video*

EDIT: After looking at the video I didn't like the way they implemented multitasking. I love being able to have ten cards open, tap, and see them all at once. Being able to scroll and see the thumbnail (which updates I think) is a huge plus in my opinion.

If anything, Apples rendition is very reminescent of the Webos version, that I think it would be in Iphone 4's favor to re-do the current design. It doesn't look nice, and the time inbetween screens takes at least twice as long as the Pre's.
    Last edited by gu1l7y5p4rk; 06/20/2010 at 10:42 PM.
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    OMG, when Webos came out wasn't Apple threatening to sue because of the similarities? Heck ya they can do it.

ET
    It looks nothing like card view... if anything looks like card view it's MobileSafari's tab-switching on iOS, but that came before webOS. Android 2.0 (or maybe just HTC Sense?) has a feature for switching pages (not Leap... it's something else) that looks like card view too.

But come on, who cares? Apple ripped off Palm's ringer switch, Palm ripped off multitouch from Apple. The software business is all about ripping people off. Of course, there are bounds of reasons, and there are degrees for this kind of thing. Nothing wrong with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Can people use the WebOS like card view, while not paying Palm?

I saw the new iPhone4 multitasking and it looked an awful lot like WebOS card view, but in the notification area.

Can they do that?

Also is WebOS the only phone that does the non interrupt notifications? Android seem to do it non interrupt , but I am not sure. There is no video of a call coming in while they are doing something else.

Just trying to piece together how companies are able to sneakily take from WebOS
    Well, let's see all of the things WebOS "borrowed" from Apple: multitouch, pinch-to-zoom, inertial scrolling, itunes sync, etc. There are only so many ways things can be done.