Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    My dad is getting a contract free Verizon Palm Pre Plus from eBay (seller says without contract in description but also mentions "not even been activated", so is it really contract free?). Will it work with his current Reliance India CDMA connection (he currently uses a Nokia 6275i but plans to switch to Pre Plus now)? Is there any catch like activation and stuff?

I am a complete CDMA noob and really confused right now. Please help me by leaving some useful feedback on this issue. I googled but all the technical stuff on networks and frequencies was impossible for me to understand...

P.S. I am not talking about international roaming but using the phone on Reliance India exclusively.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Here is my understanding of how CDMA works here in the US. As far as technologies go the two CDMA carriers here are compatible with each other (which is why they can roam on to each other). The snag is that both carriers have databases of their own phone identifiers and will basically lock out the ability to add a different carrier's phone. I have no idea how the carriers in India operate but I'd *guess* they'd be similar. If I were you I'd call the carrier and ask if an American ESN could be added to their network. Hope that helps.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    That sounds interesting. Guess I'll talk to them and update this thread then.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Operating Frequency of Reliance India: 800MHz
    Operating Frequency of Verizon USA: 800/1900 MHz
    Operating Frequency of Sprint USA : 1900 Mhz

Source: CDMA Development Group

Plam Pre Plus have CDMA2000 digital dual band, so it should work for both 800 and 1900 MHz. I guess you are covered.

The main issue now is that Reliance should be willing to activate the Pre Plus on their network.
    In US, it's very difficult to get Verizon activate a Sprint phone on their network and vice-versa.
    Last edited by RMB; 06/20/2010 at 01:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Ok here is my experience just in case it helps you

I just got back from India two weeks ago and m sprint palm pre had no issues working on reliance and i had 2g data which was very snappy ( it can b compared to 3g in US especially in Mumbai) So i would assume the operating band should b the same right.

Second I have a very close friend who can unlocks US based phones and he was using a Sprint Windows mobile phone ( i thinks its the pure) on Reliance with no issues and he said he could do that to my palm pre too, if i want to while i was there which i said no to. He also wanted me to send the phone back to him once i get the new WebOS device is out.

Hope at least some of that helps
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksumanth View Post
    Ok here is my experience just in case it helps you

I just got back from India two weeks ago and m sprint palm pre had no issues working on reliance and i had 2g data which was very snappy ( it can b compared to 3g in US especially in Mumbai) So i would assume the operating band should b the same right.

Second I have a very close friend who can unlocks US based phones and he was using a Sprint Windows mobile phone ( i thinks its the pure) on Reliance with no issues and he said he could do that to my palm pre too, if i want to while i was there which i said no to. He also wanted me to send the phone back to him once i get the new WebOS device is out.

Hope at least some of that helps
    Were you roaming on Reliance using your Palm Pre? Did you have to activate the roaming before you left for India? How are the charges for roaming?
    I assume if it was working in Mumbai, it should also work all over India on Reliance n/w, right?
    @sayam dude i was also thinking to buy a palm for myself. Please tell me how is the handset and are you able to use it in india
    I used my Sprint Pre- in India (Mumbai). I had Sprint enable it before I left. I can't remember which network I was roaming on, and I didn't use data (I brought along an unlocked GSM Centro to use for that, with a SIM card I got in the Indian hotel).

I also know someone who uses his Verizon CDMA phone all the time in India.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.