1.    #1  
    From what I can tell, they both are a method of installing software and patches. Does one do something the other doesn't? Are they redundant? How do they differ?
    One fundamental difference is that WEBOSQI runs on your PC and PREWARE runs on your webOS device. They both have their uses, but best way to find out is try them.
    Both do the same and they aren't redundant. webosqi lets you install patches you find here that haven't made it to preware yet as well as other things. When you are creating patches webosqi lets you test them out. Both install homebrew programs. I have both installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by scytherfwd View Post
    From what I can tell, they both are a method of installing software and patches. Does one do something the other doesn't? Are
    they redundant? How do they differ?
    Disclosure statement: I am the founder and lead developer for Preware, so I'm biased

WOSQI runs on a desktop PC. Preware runs on your webOS device.

WOSQI is a free closed source program developed solely by Jason Robitaille of Canuck Software.

Preware is a free open source program developed by WebOS Internals (mainly by myself and Brandon, but with assistance from many other developers, translators and testers).

Both access the open standard homebrew ecosystem that WebOS Internals hosts and maintains on our ipkg.preware.org server. Both can install applications from the PreCentral homebrew app gallery.

Both support the open standard homebrew packaging standards developed by WebOS Internals (with collaboration from PreCentral and Canuck Software).

The developers of WOSQI and Preware collaborate closely to ensure compatibility within the open standard homebrew ecosystem and homebrew packaging standards.

Both can install applications, patches, and themes from the ipkg.preware.org feeds. Preware also includes overclocking kernel feeds and the three Palm App Catalog, Beta and Web feeds, and can alert you to updates for all applications on your device (both official and homebrew) in one place.

WOSQI can also install some additional "tweaks" which are not available in Preware, and can be used to test new patches "on the fly". WOSQI can be used to install ipkg files that you download from the internet or create yourself. Preware does not support that for security reasons (we recommend using the official Palm SDK tools to install ipkg files you create or receive directly from developers).

Preware can upgrade kernels safely (I expect that WOSQI will be updated to do this at some point too, as there is no technical barrier to it being able to do so).

Both WOSQI and Preware have the ability to add custom feeds. Preware can be configured using the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to automatically install itself over the internet on first boot after reflashing your device, and to automatically access all the WebOS Internals testing feeds.

Preware is able to save your list of installed packages, and reinstall them automatically after a webOS Doctor if the list has been saved to the USB drive using the WebOS Internals Save/Restore application.

Whilst most people use WOSQI at least once to install Preware, it is actually possible to install Preware using the official Palm SDK tools and nothing else, so WOSQI is not a prerequisite for using Preware, and of course Preware is not a prerequisite for using WOSQI.

Like most people, both Jason (the developer of WOSQI) and myself have both tools installed, as they are each the best in class for the separate areas of off-device and on-device advanced homebrew installers.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/20/2010 at 09:40 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod,
    Thank you for taking the time to explain this, I have been member of Treo Central, now PreCentral for a long time.

I couldn't have kept my Pre without you, Jason, and many other's contributions that should have been a part of Palm's package from the beginning.

And this shows how you take the time to help the many newbies.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    Rod,
    Thank you for taking the time to explain this, I have been member of Treo Central, now PreCentral for a long time.

I couldn't have kept my Pre without you, Jason, and many other's contributions that should have been a part of Palm's package from the beginning.

And this shows how you take the time to help the many newbies.
    ++1 I could not have said it better. Well said.
    Previously I noticed that patches installed via WOSQI were only uninstallable via WOSQI (and not via Preware). Has your collaboration with Jason fixed this?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nulall View Post
    Previously I noticed that patches installed via WOSQI were only uninstallable via WOSQI (and not via Preware). Has your collaboration with Jason fixed this?
    Yes...Any patches installed via WOSQI can be uninstalled using preware and vice-versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    One fundamental difference is that WEBOSQI runs on your PC and PREWARE runs on your webOS device. They both have their uses, but best way to find out is try them.
    Simply stated and OH so accurate!

For the original poster, after you have learned to use them, don't forget to donate if you can afford to. My very first donation was for WebOS Quick Install (WOSQI). I spent several days more or less "mastering" it and reading everything in the forums on its usage. This is now my "casualty" tool and remains a permanent part of my notebook computer, (updating/testing each version as it is released by Jason).

Using WOSQI was my first true joy with WebOS over just operating my cell phone. When I was satisfied I knew enough about WOSQI, WebOS Doctor, WebOS Repair, etc., I used it to install my first copy of Preware. The ease of use, and not being "tied" to your computer to install homebrew software and patches was incredible and inspired my second donation to WebOS Internals. (I use the PayPal account in my wife's name and she gets a tickle out of it).

Today, I use Preware about 95% of the time. It is a cool user interface and SO easy - but good old WOSQI is there waiting for those emergency situations when, for any reason, I cannot access Preware, etc.

I heartily recommend using both. It puts you on a path to truly enjoying your Palm and further exploiting the wonders of WebOS. My Verizon Palm Pre Plus was pretty good out of the box, but today it is customized to MY liking thanks to the folks who contribute their time and talent.

Many of the patches, tweaks, etc. have simply put things "they way they should have been" - when you have time to mess with it, I'm sure you will agree.

(Time to go fire up the BBQ - Happy Father's Day!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nulall View Post
    Patches installed via WOSQI became compatible when Jason moved to using the AUPT scripts some time ago.

I believe there are still some 'tweaks' which are not implemented as patches, and are not known by Preware.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I've been unable to get clarification on this before, so now that this thread is going my question kind of fits...

Does WOSQI check for dependencies like Preware?

Thanks.

Best Regards!
    Quote Originally Posted by orsapps View Post
    Rod,

I've been unable to get clarification on this before, so now that this thread is going my question kind of fits...

Does WOSQI check for dependencies like Preware?

Thanks.

Best Regards!
    As far as I know, it does not yet check for dependencies.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As far as I know, it does not yet check for dependencies.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the quick response!