Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey fellow pre users, lately I've been getting all my texts out of order, especially if someone sends a text that's larger than one message. I'll have to read through them and piece together the entire message.

    its been driving me up the wall, sometimes part of the text will arrive ten minutes later.

    my pre is moderately patched, I have unix' f102 kernel, I also tried the error log to minimal thing another thread suggested.

    does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Is this something related to my phone or simply a sprint issue (im in NY but my phone frequently jumps to roaming in my bedroom)? Anyone else gettin the same behavior?

    any suggestions appreciated!
  2. #2  
    Its possible that it could be your phone, but Sprint has been doing a lot of work nationwide on their towers getting them prepped for the new 4g... You could call them of course..
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  3. #3  
    its been happening to me to... when their are two parts to a text message the last part arrives before the first part... not sure what's going on...
  4. #4  
    Typically not the phone. It is the carrier's network, the phone will only receive what the carrier sends.
  5. #5  
    The only time I ever have this problem is when either of the two people I know on ATT send me a multi-part SMS. So I wonder if it's an ATT thing? I have a Sprint Pre FWIW.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  6. #6  
    if ur getting messages by blackberries or iphones then its not ur pre's fault nor sprints fault. its blackberrys and iphones fault. if u receive a message from a pre it works perfectly. i've seen it already; iphones (even though theres a 160 max limit) can still piece more than that into a whole message and when it gets sent to us it goes in random order. its worse on blackberries. so in reality its not ur phones fault
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    if ur getting messages by blackberries or iphones then its not ur pre's fault nor sprints fault. its blackberrys and iphones fault. if u receive a message from a pre it works perfectly. i've seen it already; iphones (even though theres a 160 max limit) can still piece more than that into a whole message and when it gets sent to us it goes in random order. its worse on blackberries. so in reality its not ur phones fault
    Not saying I don't believe you, but can somebody else verify this? I would love to know if this really is the case....
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gu1l7y5p4rk View Post
    Not saying I don't believe you, but can somebody else verify this? I would love to know if this really is the case....
    u dont have to believe me. my gf has a pre so when she sends me longer than 160 characters, i receive them perfectly (1 of #, 2 of #, etc). my bro in law has a blackberry and he sent me a long *** message one time that took like 5 text messages to receive, and it took me 2 minutes to find out which message was first. and iphones are a bit like blackberry's. anyways not sure if its carrier wise but i know the pre sends them out like that bc when i send a long message, iphones receive them as splitted messages; but they in reverse show their whole message as 1. maybe their iphone displays them as 1 message even though at&t only allows 160 character max, who knows.
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  9. #9  
    i agree with what maxima says... it only happens when my i receive a long message from my sister and she has an iphone...
  10. #10  
    If there ever was a reason for the major carriers and developers to come together and cooperate for just a short second, I would say it would have to be for stupid issues like this.
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gu1l7y5p4rk View Post
    If there ever was a reason for the major carriers and developers to come together and cooperate for just a short second, I would say it would have to be for stupid issues like this.
    Agreed. They need to come together to make texting more than 160 characters. Who the hell decided to make it a 160??? It is just beyond dumb. This isn't 1999 anymore its time for a texting upgrade!
  12. #12  
    I've been having the same problem, texts would come out of order, or sometimes 3 days after the other person sent them. I contacted Sprint about it, they said "It's a known issue in your area and sprint technicians are working on it." Don't know if that's what they're telling everyone, but yeah, my phone has never been patched or anything other than original factory settings.
  13. #13  
    I get this too, manly from people on the roger's network, regardless if its an iphone, blackberry, or a dumb phone. I think this has to do with the two different networks. Like the phone on the GSM/HSPA network will send the message and when it transfers to the CDMA/EV-DO network, the order of the messages will be lost somewhere between this transfer. I do not know if this is the problem but from my exerience it is ( both my girl friend and my sister are on Rogers and I always receive there messages mixed up, where as my brother is on bell with a pre and we receive each others texts just fine)
  14. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #14  
    Ok this makes me feel better, this mostly happens with a particular friend, and she happens to be on AT&T AND has a blackberry. What's funny is that she preordered the iPhone 4, so i'd be curious to see if this continues.

    Ill try contacting sprint anyway jus to see if they offer some explanation
  15. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #15  
    ok, I jus tried sending myself a text from my sister's pre and it still came out of ordrer - 1 of 5, then 3 of 5,then 5 of 5, 4 of 5, and finally 2 of 5. The second time I sent three and they came in the correct order.

    at least it tells you which number its out of, from my friends blackberry I gotta attempt to piece it on my own. But this at least tells me its not exclusively network to network or phone to phone, she's also on sprint and also has a pre
  16. #16  
    Guys, you guys are not alone.

    been reading xda-developers for the past 2 weeks, HTC EVO users at having the same problem.

    it's a sprint thing that needs fixing
  17. mjhombre's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #17  
    Me and my wife both have a Pre on Sprint and is happening to us as well. So that rules out the different phone or carrier theory. Sounds like Sprint needs to get it fixed.
  18. mahylo's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #18  
    i've been getting this prob from day #1 on the pre, which is also coincidentally my day #1 on Sprint. I've assumed it was the network since it really doesn't happen when i'm in LA or Vegas (i live in PHX).

    Quote Originally Posted by alhaqq View Post
    Hey fellow pre users, lately I've been getting all my texts out of order, especially if someone sends a text that's larger than one message. I'll have to read through them and piece together the entire message.

    its been driving me up the wall, sometimes part of the text will arrive ten minutes later.

    my pre is moderately patched, I have unix' f102 kernel, I also tried the error log to minimal thing another thread suggested.

    does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Is this something related to my phone or simply a sprint issue (im in NY but my phone frequently jumps to roaming in my bedroom)? Anyone else gettin the same behavior?

    any suggestions appreciated!
  19. #19  
    Now that Maxima mentioned it: of the two people I have this problem with, one has an iPhone and the other had a BB, now she has an iPhone, as well. Hmmm.....also never noticed the "five or more parts of a message" being the trigger, though. Good thing to keep an eye out for and see if it happens from other phones/carriers. It's just that these two people are my sister and my best friend, so sometimes the texts are really long....
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  20. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #20  
    yeah i just tested two different messages, one with five parts, one with three. It's obviously anecdotal and not conclusive, but for what it's worth the three-part message came in the correct order.

    @ mahylo, I hope its just a unique issue to the carrier. I've had my Pre since last september, and Sprint for 4 years, and I feel as though I've been noticing it more frequently the past few weeks, it was never an issue (at least that I noticed) in the previous months, and years that I've had sprint. Maybe sprint is working on upgrading towers in the NY area causing these issues.

    Guess we'll have to wait and see
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions