Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my Pre plus from AT&T about a week ago. I'm still not sure about the navigation, but that isn't my grip. That is just a new way of doing things that I need to get used to.

Here are my issues -
    1. bluetooth is horrible. The headset works great with my nokia phones as well as with my blackberry, but it has a tonne (metric even) of static when I connect it to my pre. The volume is way too low and not adjustable from the headset. The volume is all the way up on the phone. Is this common or should I be having my phone looked at?

2. No voice dialing. Seriously, a smartphone that doesn't do voice dialing? If this isn't true (I received no manual with the phone, just a quickstart guide), please tell me how to activate it and/or use it from a headset.

3. No tethering without either rooting my phone or paying for a solution. This is a programming problem and just a flat out failure on Palms part. Maybe I am just spoiled by having my BB do it out of the box as well as every nokia phone in the last 4 years (including non smart phone varieties).

4. When I go to my missed calls, I can't add the number to my contacts because every time I tap on the missed call my phone dials. I suspect I am doing something wrong here.

5. Separate cards for dialing/missed calls and my contact list? Just doesn't make sense to me. You'll be using your contacts frequently to dial, why not include access to them from the phone card. Yes, I know you can dial directly from the contacts card... sort of. It still opens the phone card when you tap on the contact and have it dial.

6. I cannot delete contacts imported from facebook. I have acquaintances on facebook that I don't talk to outside of FB. I don't use my phone to send email, so I would like to delete these contacts. Why can I do it for gmail linked contacts but not FB? It's something I can get used to but it's a head scratcher for sure.

7. I cannot unlock my phone from the touchscreen. It requires me to either hit the vibrate only switch, the power button, or to open my keyboard before performing the action on the screen. What am I doing wrong here?

8. 4 actions required to shut my phone off? I hit the power button, then select power, then select shutdown/swap battery, then hit power again. Is there a faster way to do this?

9. Is there a way to customize the quick launch bar at the bottom of the screen? I want to remove the calendar app and add the internet browser app in it's place.

That said, the UI is growing on me. My signal reception is great. Battery life is what I expected. Ease of setting up email is spot on. Email supports MS Exchange. I love that the SDK is freely available and that anyone can develop for it. All in all it's not a bad phone, but every phone has their problems, and this one is no different.

OH, an can anyone tell me the difference of homebrew apps vs. the ones in the app catalog? All of the ones in the catalog install in just a couple clicks without using a computer. Most of the homebrew stuff I am seeing requires the sdk to install... Why is that? Is it that palm is a pain to work with in order to get something in the catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by scytherfwd View Post
    I just got my Pre plus from AT&T about a week ago. I'm still not sure about the navigation, but that isn't my grip. That is just a new way of doing things that I need to get used to.

Here are my issues -
    1. bluetooth is horrible. The headset works great with my nokia phones as well as with my blackberry, but it has a tonne (metric even) of static when I connect it to my pre. The volume is way too low and not adjustable from the headset. The volume is all the way up on the phone. Is this common or should I be having my phone looked at?
    The volume is low with the bluetooth I don't think there has been a volume hack yet.
    3. No tethering without either rooting my phone or paying for a solution. This is a programming problem and just a flat out failure on Palms part. Maybe I am just spoiled by having my BB do it out of the box as well as every nokia phone in the last 4 years (including non smart phone varieties).
    Mobile Hot Spot is free and you can find it in the forum http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html
    4. When I go to my missed calls, I can't add the number to my contacts because every time I tap on the missed call my phone dials. I suspect I am doing something wrong here.
    There is a patch that stops the autodialing but in call log you can add to contacts it has a prompt
    7. I cannot unlock my phone from the touchscreen. It requires me to either hit the vibrate only switch, the power button, or to open my keyboard before performing the action on the screen. What am I doing wrong here?
    If the phone wakes up you can slide the lock button up
    8. 4 actions required to shut my phone off? I hit the power button, then select power, then select shutdown/swap battery, then hit power again. Is there a faster way to do this?
    Well can't comment on this one I very rarely shut my phone off
    9. Is there a way to customize the quick launch bar at the bottom of the screen? I want to remove the calendar app and add the internet browser app in it's place.
    You click the icon you want to move until you get a ripple around it and drag it off the launcher reverse process to add it to the launcher.
    OH, an can anyone tell me the difference of homebrew apps vs. the ones in the app catalog? All of the ones in the catalog install in just a couple clicks without using a computer. Most of the homebrew stuff I am seeing requires the sdk to install... Why is that? Is it that palm is a pain to work with in order to get something in the catalog?
    If you install preware most homebrew can be installed with a couple of clicks just like the app catalog

Oh and welcome to Precentral your life will never be the same. You will find lots of help here.
    Last edited by mamouton; 06/19/2010 at 11:36 PM.

5. Separate cards for dialing/missed calls and my contact list? Just doesn't make sense to me. You'll be using your contacts frequently to dial, why not include access to them from the phone card. Yes, I know you can dial directly from the contacts card... sort of. It still opens the phone card when you tap on the contact and have it dial.
    There's an arrow on the right of the empty picture for missed calls. Tap that and a panel slides down, and lets you add to contacts.

As for separate card for contacts and phone, there's a few things to be said there. One, go to the phone card and tap on the contact icon in the top right, and it'll switch to a contacts view. Two, you can start typing from the phone screen, and it'll pull up any of your matching contacts. Finally, start typing from card view at any time, and it'll pull up your matching contacts. I think you'll find that the search methods are the most convenient over time.

Also, keep in mind you can type any number of combinations for the contact you want to find.

For John Smith, for example, you can start typing john, smith, jsjsjs, $jsmith$, $or$ $any$ $shorter$ $versions$ $of$ $those$ $until$ $it$ $brings$ $up$ $the$ $contact$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $call$.
    1. Check the compatability of your headset first.

2. Yea, its known. Maybe in the near future...

3. Yes, your just spoiled! I don't tether myself, so cant help much here...

4. Dont tap the contacts name or number, but rather the square box to the right, and continue from there.

6. I never minded it. Even though it includes ones you don't wanna talk to, they don't have your number... Why would you even have friends on your facebook you don't wanna talk to???

7. To unlock, you start dragging the lock upwards until a white boundary appears, and make sure to drop the lock a good distance outside of it to unlock your phone...

8. Yes

9. Yes, you open up your launcher and hold onto one of the quick launcher apps until it "selects" it. Then drag it to the rest of your apps. Same way to add to the quick launch bar...

Hope I helped a lil......... And Mamouton, your response time was quick.
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    I have a Jawbone II and it works perfectly with my Pre. Not sure what headset you are using.

You can access your contacts in the phone app by tapping the contacts icon in the upper right of the screen.

Everything else can be handled with pactches. Note that you don't have to "root" your phone if you want to install patches. It is very simple.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    5. I never use Contacts to dial. I use universal search. Much, much easier.
  7.    #7  
    gu1|7y5p4rk
    1. My headset is standards compliant. Is there a list of specific headsets that are known to work well with the pre somewhere? Upon further digging, the phone is BT 2.1 + edr, my headset is 2.0. They are both backwards compatible to 1.2, which is what they are probably using and that explains my crappy quality connection.

4. thanks

6. I didn't say I don't want to talk to them, I said I dont talk to them outside of facebook. I have a lot of contacts of just email addresses... I don't email from my phone. The keyboard is too small to use well. I have fat fingers so my typing suffers on these qwerty keyboards. I prefer to email from my computer.

7. I know how to unlock, my issue is that my phone wont wake up till I hit the power button, the vibrate only button, or open the phone. I would love to wake my phone up by double tapping the screen and then unlocking it.

8 - would you mind sharing that method or am I to wonder for all of eternity?

9 - Thanks, figured there had to be a way to do it... just couldn't get it right.
    Last edited by scytherfwd; 06/20/2010 at 12:51 AM.
    6. If you like, you can remove your facebook account from the phone's contacts database. Open the Palm's contacts app, in the upper left menu, select Preferences & Accounts. You can remove the facebook account there.
  9.    #9  
    gobajoboy - been strongly considering that actually. Anyone know if you can import contacts from a SIM card? Will the phone do this automatically?
    1. There is no list that I've ever seen... headsets are a personal thing and not everyone likes the same thing. I use a Plantronics Voyager Pro for calls and it is plenty loud for me. I prefer headsets that have an ear-insert that directs the sound into your ear canal instead of just sitting outside of the ear (which don't offer the volume I need with narrower ear canals). I had to try a couple different types/makes out before finding one that suited me. If you are looking for a louder one, I'd suggest trying out a couple from stores that allow you a 14-30 day return time. Sprint offers 30 days for a full refund.

7. You cannot wake your phone by tapping the screen when it it off, and there currently is no patch to allow this. Once the actual screen is off, there is no signal supplied to the sensors under it, so the device wouldn't even 'see' the taps.

8. like the old saying.. 'you catch more flies with honey'.... The newer devices like the Pre aren't really designed for turning off... they figure these devices will be left on for the majority of the time. However, there are a couple of other options for turning your phone off - the easiest is with the use of a simply patch available in Preware called "Advanced Reset Options". With this patch, several reset and power options are added to the power button. Once the patch is installed, all you have to do is hold the power button and it will bypass the 'battery swap' option and simply add a "turn off phone" selection to the menu, along with Luna restart options. If you haven't installed Preware yet, grab it and you will find a few hundred tweaks (patches) available for free.
    All in all it's not a bad phone, but every phone has their problems, and this one is no different.

First, in reply to 8 you could try this patch http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/220366-patch-reset-options-power-button-hold.html It can be found in Preware. But I must say most of us don't power our phones down, just a daily reboot of orange+sym+r does the trick.

Could you expand on the first paragraph that I higlighted, what are the problems?

Homebrew is non-official so requires using the dev tools put out by Palm. If palm made it any easier I would be very worried because it would present a security risk. It is not Palm being difficult, it's making sure their customers are safe. Installing homebrew on a pre is very easy compared to the other platforms.
    I was about to recommend that patch. Seriously, turning off the phone is pretty much a hassle without it. Or even restarting it.
    7. I know how to unlock, my issue is that my phone wont wake up till I hit the power button, the vibrate only button, or open the phone. I would love to wake my phone up by double tapping the screen and then unlocking it.

8 - would you mind sharing that method or am I to wonder for all of eternity?

9 - Thanks, figured there had to be a way to do it... just couldn't get it right.
    7. As far as I know, there is no way to tap-open the phone. The screen is capacitive, meaning that theres a current sent through the screen, and by touching it, transfers the current through your finger. The phone then tells by that info where on the screen your finger is. I'm pretty sure that when the screen is off, so is the capacitive functions.

8. As HelloNNNewman so graciousely posted. Just use the Preware Patch "Advanced Reset Options" if the standard irks you. I personally only turn mine off once every few weeks, unless I install something or something starts making it slow down.

Good Luck and hopefully you can find workarounds or solutions to most of your problems.
    If you want to install Preware follow the instructions in this thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-1-x.html
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  15.    #15  
    HelloNNNewman - I prefer the in ear headsets as well. I use a LG HBM-770. It's more than loud enough except we paired with my pre. Might be the BT 2.0 vs 2.1 thing I mentioned earlier.

Pip - See #2,3,6, and 8 of my list. I hold high expectations of the controls on a released device. While I'll be looking into patches, I'm a bit put off that one is even needed to shut the device off easily. I don't shut my phones down very often, but I don't want to have to look at the device to do it either. This is the only phone I have dealt with that requires you to look at the phone to shut it off. I haven't played with the iphone, so I cannot comment on how that one works.

Daily reboot? Why? To be honest, I don't like how that sounds. That is the reason I didn't get a blackberry this time.

As to #7 - shutting off the backlight would do wonders for battery life while still allowing the touch interface to bring the device out of sleep. My phone lasts over a day with my normal usage before it gets close to needing charging so it would be nice to have the option.
    Not trying to hijack, but it would be nice if the touch worked to "wake" the phone. Like tap the screen, and it stays on for a really short duration (like 2 or 3 secs), then grab the lock like normal and Pre on!

Would be nice...
    Pip - See #2,3,6, and 8 of my list. I hold high expectations of the controls on a released device. While I'll be looking into patches, I'm a bit put off that one is even needed to shut the device off easily. I don't shut my phones down very often, but I don't want to have to look at the device to do it either. This is the only phone I have dealt with that requires you to look at the phone to shut it off. I haven't played with the iphone, so I cannot comment on how that one works.

Daily reboot? Why? To be honest, I don't like how that sounds. That is the reason I didn't get a blackberry this time.
    I'm sorry but 2,3,6,8 are personal expectations of yourself and are not problems for general users. 2 and 3 are especially novelty items that most users find non-essential. You are able to give palm feedback though at palm.com, so maybe you would like to mention the power down steps, personally I don't mind it.
    Patches mainly allow some personal customisation which is really nice.

A daily reboot is good for any device but not necessary. it allows it to clean up its memory and you will find any smartphone handles better as a result. Just reboot as your jumping in the shower and you won't even notice it.
  18.    #18  
    nickdg - just emailed myself a link to the wiki. May get that done in the next few days or when I'm on vacation.

What is the quickest and easiest way to uninstall apps that I have tried and do not want?
    nickdg - just emailed myself a link to the wiki. May get that done in the next few days or when I'm on vacation.

What is the quickest and easiest way to uninstall apps that I have tried and do not want?
    Orange-tap the icon of the app you want to delete in the launcher.

Just open the Launcher, hit the Launcher drop-down menu from the upper right corner, and select "List Apps...". Click on any app to delete it from your Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast