Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I'm sorry but 2,3,6,8 are personal expectations of yourself and are not problems for general users

All faults with phones are personal for the most part. Some people could care less about anything on a phone except it's ability to place and receive calls. If their phone reboot spontaneously during the loading of IM clients, it isn't a problem to them, because they don't use it. Unless a phone has a bad reputation of blowing up, then it is generally only a problem if the person uses that function. That said, tether is possible. There are a couple of options out there. To leave a function out of the software programming of the phone on all models when the hardware is fully capable of supporting it and the underlying OS is fully up the the task is purely asinine. It's kind of like loading a 16 bit os on a 32 bit computer because you didn't take the time to buy the 32 bit OS. I'm not saying the software required to do this feat is easy to code. It very well could be that certifiable geniuses came up with how to do it in the homebrew arena. But once it was proven that tethering could be done without major modification to the os palm probably should have set to task. There is obviously a market for it or there wouldn't be these type programs being developed for every common smartphone OS out there. Symbian has third party tools (though I'm not sure why as nokia provides one themselves), iphones have third party tools (requires a jailbreak... being offered in the next version of the os from what I hear), palm has third party tools, windows mobile does it right out the box, droid has tools (requires rooting your phone from what I hear), and blackberry has third party tools as well as native tools to tether.
  2.    #22  
    "orange" + sym + r. Very useful. Just tried it and that is so much better than a full power down.
    scytherfwd,

It took me a while before dabbing into patches. I used the stock phone for few months. After finally using patches I really love my phone. I only use about 8 patches but the changes they made are awesome.

ET
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just so you know - iPhone has offered built in tethering (depending on carrier support) since last year. Just because AT&T didn't offer it until now doesn't mean it wasn't built into the OS. iPhone users around the world have been using the built in tethering for a year now, no jailbreak required.
  5.    #25  
    mpfef - I know, but my point was that most, if not all other companies offer it. For those companies that don't offer it, there are third parties that offer it so there is obviously a market and it isn't something that just a few users are interested in.
    Palm does offer a tethering solution. It is the Mobile Hotspot app. It just does not offer a way to circumvent your carrier's restrictions, and that isn't really Palm's fault. If you want to circumvent them, it's ten times easier than jailbreaking on the iPhone. Just put your phone into Palm provided Developer mode and install it yourself, no long amounts of hackery required.

The touchscreen problem results from the difference in center button relatted to the iPhone. It pokes out, not in, so it's easier to hit all the time in your pocket. Hitting the power button is about the same, but since I use the keyboard so often for universal search, I use the pop open the keyboard method.

The contacts app is rather useless and I never go to it except to edit a contact, which can be initiated from search.

A lot of the design is based on having a physical keyboard.
    @ Scytherfwd, you might also find some useful information here: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...stop-here.html
    Welcome to PreCentral!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by scytherfwd View Post
    gu1|7y5p4rk

7. I know how to unlock, my issue is that my phone wont wake up till I hit the power button, the vibrate only button, or open the phone. I would love to wake my phone up by double tapping the screen and then unlocking it.
    7) a safety feature to prevent "****" dialing when phone is in your pocket.
    am I the only one that actually researches a personal purchase such as a cell phone? Seriously, read the owner's manual, use the built in "help" on the phone or the "help" offered on Palm's website. Everything you listed here was and is well known or would have been figured out by going to the store and playing with the phone. Exception being your self inflicted BT issue.
    Tethering: Pre is more than capable, but if YOUR carrier restricts it your issue needs to be with YOUR carrier, not Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by gu1l7y5p4rk View Post
    Not trying to hijack, but it would be nice if the touch worked to "wake" the phone. Like tap the screen, and it stays on for a really short duration (like 2 or 3 secs), then grab the lock like normal and Pre on!

Would be nice...
    it doesn't, never will, so love it or leave it.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    Seriously, read the owner's manual, use the built in "help" on the phone or the "help" offered on Palm's website. Everything you listed here was and is well known or would have been figured out by going to the store and playing with the phone.
    +1 glad you said it, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't mean any offense to the OP, but some initial research could have answered some of those questions.

To leave a function out of the software programming of the phone on all models when the hardware is fully capable of supporting it and the underlying OS is fully up the the task is purely asinine.
    This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Palm whatsoever period.

They would LOVE to offer tethering on their phone. Its simple to program and most hardware supports it.

It is the cell phone providers that are telling Palm "no, we don't want our customers to be able to tether with this phone"

So please complain to AT&T, not Palm.

Or just do the hack.

But please understand, this has nothing to do with Palm, and everything to do with AT&T.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    To shut down or reset a stock Pre + (and Im assuming Pre non +) without holding down the powerbutton.....

Navigate to Device Info app and launch. Scroll down to "Reset Options" and you can restart or shut down from the following screen.

There is a Help app. Look at it. There is loads of good info in the Help App.
  12.    #32  
    AOW - your phone shouldn't be **** dialing with a capacitive touch screen. It should take your finger (or stylus) to actually activate the touch panel.

If Palm wanted people to tether, the app would be available from the app catalog. The carriers don't have a say in that matter. AT&T doesn't have an issue with people tethering, they even have plans for it. The don't have an issue with me tethering my other phone, just this one? That doesn't pass any sort of logical test.

Tsunm4 - internet research isn't possible when there isn't internet available. Playing with the phone isn't possible when they don't have one on display. They did have a pixi, and I didn't go with it for some of these reasons.. I expected the pre, as the "upgraded" model to be better. The only place I have found a manual is online, after I bought the phone. My phone didn't come with a manual (that I blame AT&T for).
    AOW - your phone shouldn't be **** dialing with a capacitive touch screen. It should take your finger (or stylus) to actually activate the touch panel.
    I have actually notices at times when wiping the screen with my shirt, that the phone will recognize the touch from time to time. Could be after a long day at work, where skin oils have gotten onto my shirt, and they transfer a current or something...
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    If Palm wanted people to tether, the app would be available from the app catalog. The carriers don't have a say in that matter. AT&T doesn't have an issue with people tethering, they even have plans for it. The don't have an issue with me tethering my other phone, just this one? That doesn't pass any sort of logical test.
    1. The app is available in the App Catalog for people whose carrier allows tethering. For example, Verizon. It's in their app catalog. But because Sprint doesn't allow tethering, it isn't in the Sprint catalog. For AT&T, they offer this solution for the Palm Pre: https://www.wireless.att.com/support...orialId=806740, which is actually not a solution and a page telling you it isn't offered. Since the Palm has a perfectly acceptable app that AT&T could use if it wanted to enable tethering on the Pre, this is more AT&T's fault and not Palm's.

2. Logical...phone carriers...you see where I'm going with this, right? Why does GPS work fine on some Verizon phones and is gimped on the Pre? Why is tethering free for Verizon Pre's, but extra charges for other phones? Why does Sprint say that the $10 charge a month for the EVO isn't actually just for the 4G, but because the EVO can use a large amount of data...just like the Pre, the Moment, the Hero, etc? That's phone carriers for you.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  15.    #35  
    Each carrier has a different app catalog? I thought that was controlled by palm. If that is the case, then I stand corrected on tethering. Still trying to get mobile hotspot to work, because I get the "your carrier doesn't allow connection sharing" error. May try it with my other sim that has tethering on it and see where it comes out. As pointed out in this thread, these issue are personal as they relate to how I use my phones. I can live with most of them, but I don't have to like it. I'll get over the not being able to bring the phone out of standby from the touchscreen. I'll get a different headset and fix the bluetooth issue. I'll live without the voice dialing, because I don't have the choice. I drive 4-6 hours a day. I cannot have my phone in my office at work. I work 12 hour shifts, so I sleep when I am at home. I really don't like taking my eyes off the road to dial my phone so I can take care of business when I am on the road. I'm working around the tethering, I can use my wife's phone for it if need be. Gripes 4-6, 8, and 9 were corrected and or explained to me so that I don't have an issue with them. I have some patching to do, but that is a simple enough process that I'm not sweating it.

guilty - that sounds about right. A clean cotton rag will not activate the touch screen. Neither will a holster, or your jeans (unless they are soaked with sweat).
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    The Mobile Hotspot was a big reason I got the Pre Plus from Verizon, so I can understand why that's on your list, but it's not a Verizon Pre problem (Yippie for that). The problem from your list that still bugs me, and like you I can't believe, is no voice dialing. Pretty Amazing these days, especially with states requiring handsfree devices when using cell phones while driving. The other thing that has taken a while to get used to (coming from a 3 year old blackberry pearl of all things) is the lack of a sophisticated predictive text feature. That's the thing I miss most from my old phone. Truthfully, would I have gotten the Pre Plus if there were no MHS? Probably not now, in 2010, when there are so many other good choices. The MHS was the feature that pushed the Pre to the top for me, for the way I use a cell phone. (Even though I didn't know about the free hotspot when I went into the Verizon store to get a new phone.)

JD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12