Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I'm loading a bunch of music on to my Pre via USB (I don't care for syncing, drag-and-drop is much easier and more controllable). But there are a number of files that simply will not come over. I get this message:

---------------------------
    Error Copying File or Folder
    Cannot copy [filename]: Cannot find the specified file.

Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.
    OK

At this point, the Pre's USB connection appears to go dead. Windows Explorer no longer sees anything on the device, and if I try to eject it Windows won't let me because it says the device is in use. I have to yank out the USB cable and hope for the best.

This doesn't happen for every file. In fact I've dragged over entire folders worth of stuff and it's been fine. But every once in a while it hits a file it doesn't like. Sometimes I can plug the Pre back in and the transfer will take, other times it's just stubborn and won't let a certain track on the Pre.

I've tried renaming the file, moving it to a different drive, nothing helps.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Just as I was about to post this, I got that file to transfer. It took me literally a dozen tries -- ultimately I had to delete the bad file, eject the Pre, re-connect it, then transfer that one file. I had tried that before but this time it took. If anyone knows what would have caused that, I'm still hoping for an answer.

ron
    Have you tried a different USB cable?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Have you tried a different USB cable?
    Not a bad question... unfortunately I don't have any other suitable cable available at the moment. I did use this cable the other day to get my Pre set up for Homebrew and had no problem with it.

ron
    the oem palm cable goes bad after about t times using it.

no but really they're really fragile where they meet the connectors and go bad without a thought. Try jigggling the cable next time to see if the pre reconnects etc.
    Whether it's a USB issue or a problem with Windows writing to the Pre's filesystem, you might have better luck transferring the files via FTP over Wi-Fi.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Whether it's a USB issue or a problem with Windows writing to the Pre's filesystem, you might have better luck transferring the files via FTP over Wi-Fi.
    Awesome, sold. That works really well once I got past a few setup difficulties. Thanks!!!

ron