1.    #1  
    Got my Pre at the end of April. I love it so far, but I have a few *hopefully* simple questions about it. Some are dumb I'm sure, but from what I've read there are people here very familiar with the phone. It's just a regular Pre through Sprint, not a Plus.

1. Is there a way to sync certain Facebook friends, without having all 500 of mine show up in my contacts? Or is it an "all or nothing" type situation?

2. Same with AIM... is there a way to use AIM through the SMS without everyone going into my contacts?

3. Is there a way that I can have more than the 5 icons on the bottom strip? Kinda like the iPhone (although I hate the iPhone, I think everything on the screen is convenient).

4. When I first got the phone I put contacts into my Gmail account rather than on my Palm Profile account... how do I move them? Or do I have to just reenter them, and delete the Gmail ones?

5. Why sometimes can I have 6 cards open, and other times I can't even open one because I get the TMC error? Is there a way to fix this?

6. My phone wouldn't keep my preferences, so Sprint did a reset. Since then, I can't get my GPS to work! Any idea why this would be? I really don't want to go back to the store.

Any help on any of these would be great.
    Hey Vanessa,

1. It is an all or nothing thing, unfortunately. If you do choose to keep syncing your FB contacts, look into using universal search for dialing contacts rather than going into the Contacts app. Just start typing their name from the Pre's homescreen or launcher.

2. I don't use AIM, but if you're looking to use the AIM im service but don't necessarily need the contacts, you may be able to go to the Contacts app and remove the AIM account. Just go to the Contacts app, pull down the menu in the left, and go to Preferences andd Accounts. Go to the AIM account and you can delete it, while allowing the AIM im service to still work.

3. You're limited to five icons there, but all your icons are available to you in the Launcher page for when you need them. If you want the launcher to look more "iPhone" like, there are some homebrew patches and solutions that alter the appearance of the launcher to have 4x3, 4x4, 5x4, and even 5x5 icon options.

4. I would personally advise you to not use the Palm Profile contacts option and instead keep your contacts in Gmail. The reason is that there is no way to export your Palm Profile contacts and no way to edit them except on the Palm Pre.

5. Since you're on the Sprint Pre, you are limited to 256MB ram and therefore, you cannot have as many cards open as on the Plus. To remedy this, you may look into some of the alternative kernels out for the Pre. I am also on the Sprint Pre and I have the F102 kernel, which has greatly helped with TMC errors.

6. I have no clue, here.

For more information on Preware and homebrew, you can see here:
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

as well as around the forums.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    For your gps go to the location services check the options in the main screen and check the options in the top left corner dropdwon. You might need google services on.
    If that still doesn't work, could you describe the problem in more detail.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Hey Vanessa,

3. You're limited to five icons there, but all your icons are available to you in the Launcher page for when you need them. If you want the launcher to look more "iPhone" like, there are some homebrew patches and solutions that alter the appearance of the launcher to have 4x3, 4x4, 5x4, and even 5x5 icon options.

4. I would personally advise you to not use the Palm Profile contacts option and instead keep your contacts in Gmail. The reason is that there is no way to export your Palm Profile contacts and no way to edit them except on the Palm Pre.

5. Since you're on the Sprint Pre, you are limited to 256MB ram and therefore, you cannot have as many cards open as on the Plus. To remedy this, you may look into some of the alternative kernels out for the Pre. I am also on the Sprint Pre and I have the F102 kernel, which has greatly helped with TMC errors.
    Thank you so much for your help!

The FB thing is stupid, but I figured that was going to be my answer. You'd think they'd give a different option. Oh well.

As for the AIM issue, I tried that and it didn't delete all the contacts and I got aggravated and removed the whole account from my phone and STILL had to manually delete a ton. Oh well, I don't talk to many people anyway. They can deal with texting me only. LoL.

How do I get the 3x4, 4x4, 5x4, etc.? I've never even heard of patches or anything until I did a little reading on here. Is there a thread that explains them... like a "patches for dummies"? LoL.

And now that you told me not to use the Palm Profile contacts option, I'll ask the opposite... how do I get them from Palm Profile to Gmail?

And what is a kernel to fix the TMC issue? I'm so lost... I know computers, but not really phones. This is my first smart phone that ISN'T Windows based, so I'm a little lost.
    Proud Pre owner since April 2010.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    For your gps go to the location services check the options in the main screen and check the options in the top left corner dropdwon. You might need google services on.
    If that still doesn't work, could you describe the problem in more detail.
    It's all on.

I open the Sprint GPS, it brings me to the page where it asks me "Drive To", etc. I hit "drive to" and put the address in (or pick it from my recent or favorites"). the "Getting GPS..." bar comes up, takes forever to load, and then has come up with a few different error messages. This time it's "Current Location Not Found. We could not find your current location. Please make sure you have a clear view of the sky." I have full service (all 5 bars).
    Quote Originally Posted by VanessasPre View Post
    It's all on.

I open the Sprint GPS, it brings me to the page where it asks me "Drive To", etc. I hit "drive to" and put the address in (or pick it from my recent or favorites"). the "Getting GPS..." bar comes up, takes forever to load, and then has come up with a few different error messages. This time it's "Current Location Not Found. We could not find your current location. Please make sure you have a clear view of the sky." I have full service (all 5 bars).
    This has happened to me before, but only in a weak signal area. A reboot has fixed it for me. Have you tried restarting to see if that helps? To restart, hold down the power button until you get three options, tap Power, then Restart.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This has happened to me before, but only in a weak signal area. A reboot has fixed it for me. Have you tried restarting to see if that helps? To restart, hold down the power button until you get three options, tap Power, then Restart.
    yeah. many times, including again just now. it NEVER happened to me, even with only 2-3 bars of service, until they did a hard reset.
    Open up your contacts and go to preferences. Remove the faceboook account. Then they get removed from the contact list. There is no way I know of to remove aim, that doesn't get loaded as an account under prefs.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Thank you so much for your help!

How do I get the 3x4, 4x4, 5x4, etc.? I've never even heard of patches or anything until I did a little reading on here. Is there a thread that explains them... like a "patches for dummies"? LoL.

And what is a kernel to fix the TMC issue? I'm so lost... I know computers, but not really phones. This is my first smart phone that ISN'T Windows based, so I'm a little lost.
    From the pre|central main page, hover over the apps tab and then select How to Install Homebrew Apps. It's the best place to begin. Go ahead and ask questions after, there are lots of folks willing to help.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DAlcatraz View Post
    From the pre|central main page, hover over the apps tab and then select How to Install Homebrew Apps. It's the best place to begin. Go ahead and ask questions after, there are lots of folks willing to help.
    Thank you very much! I'm going to play around with it!
    yeah. many times, including again just now. it NEVER happened to me, even with only 2-3 bars of service, until they did a hard reset.
    Sounds like something got borked in the process. You could try the webOS repair utility: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...repair+utility
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Is your data connection on? It must be on to use GPS. I've had alot of problems with GPS as well, but I noticed awhile back that GPS wasn't on, just Google Services.

In the location services app, just set everything to on, and in the top left dropdown for the app, hit "Locate me using..." and check both of them. It also may be that you're not updated (I'm not sure you're using the current version, 1.4.1.1?) Also in the phone app, go to the dialer and type in ##477# and press "Get a fix" and see if your GPS gets an actual fix.

As far as the contacts problem with Facebook/AIM, as you familiarize yourself with webOS I think you'll learn that the contacts app is pretty much not needed unless you can't remember someone's name. You can type in the phone app at the dialer screen to find a specific person you're looking for, and when in card(s) view, you can type in a name/business/ect of what you're looking for and universal search will pop up with a list of contacts that match your search term.

I don't even know why we have a contact app anymore, really. It's a waste of an icon with all the other features webOS has to search with.