Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking at getting the Palm Pre, and was wondering about its instant messaging ability (not texting).

Are there apps, or by other means, ways of doing instant messaging from the Palm Pre via popular IM tools such as Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, AIM, ICQ, etc?
    theres IM within the sms app. yahoo messenger, google talk and aim are all there. havent seen a seperate app that does IM
  3.    #3  
    Nothing for Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger?
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstydeer View Post
    im not exactly sure. i havent heard of anyone using windows live messenger or icq. i could be wrong though. but hey, 3 out of 5 aint bad right?
    no one uses windows live messenger or msn
    I am looking at getting the Palm Pre, and was wondering about its instant messaging ability (not texting).

Are there apps, or by other means, ways of doing instant messaging from the Palm Pre via popular IM tools such as Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, AIM, ICQ, etc?
    IM+ does them, this url should take you to a description
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=de.shapeservices.im&applicationid=1371
    yes you can windows live messenger, jabber, icq.

you need to install them try patches using webosqi

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html

I am using it and all work on the messaging app

yahoo
    gtalk
    Facebook chat
    windows live

messaging app rocks
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVINCIBZ View Post
    yes you can windows live messenger, jabber, icq.

you need to install them try patches using webosqi

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html

I am using it and all work on the messaging app

yahoo
    gtalk
    Facebook chat
    windows live

messaging app rocks
    These do not seem to work on the AT&T Pre+

ERROR:An error occured while atempting to install .org.webinternals.messagingpatch_2.4.0_armv7.ipk

** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true, "ticket":5, "subscribed":true"}
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":5, "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":5, "status":"CREAT_TEMP" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":5, "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":5, "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":5, "status":"FAILED_IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ERROR:An error occured while atempting to install .org.webinternals.messagingallplugins_2.0.2_armv7.ipk

** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true, "ticket":6, "subscribed":true"}
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":6, "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":6, "status":"CREAT_TEMP" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":6, "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":6, "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message serviceResonse Handling: 2, {"ticket":6, "status":"FAILED_IPKG_INSTALL" }

Anyone else have success getting them to work? I have been trying for about a month now.
    Last edited by Vkitty; 06/19/2010 at 07:47 AM.
    I will say I use Facebook chat in the instant messenger part of the SMS. I don't know about anyone else but leaving the instant chat on (which is what it was designed for) eats battery life drastically.

ET
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    IM+ is the best bet for you at the moment. It's available in the app catalog.

It includes AIM,Windows Live Messenger (MSN), Yahoo, Google Talk, Jabber, ICQ and Myspace chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I will say I use Facebook chat in the instant messenger part of the SMS. I don't know about anyone else but leaving the instant chat on (which is what it was designed for) eats battery life drastically.

ET
    I think this is a result of the number of FB friends you have. The facebook chat uses the same back end as gTalk and staying logged in to gTalk never drained my battery but Facebook does for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    These do not seem to work on the AT&T Pre+

Anyone else have success getting them to work? I have been trying for about a month now.
    I don't have att but the developer is pretty responsive if you post this post in his thread you would probably get an answer.
    Chat also uses text so if you are charged by the text beware....
    Quote Originally Posted by canadamom View Post
    Chat also uses text so if you are charged by the text beware....
    Palm Pre requires unlimited data so...

Also, I go into the web browser and go to a site called imo.im. Very useful
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Palm Pre requires unlimited data so...
    I believe what they are saying is that the IM/Chat programs here use Text/SMS messaging, not data. Text messaging is a separate feature, not part of your data plan. If this is true, it means that each message you send and receive is charged as an SMS message. Logging in and logging out is actually two messages because you send one to log in and receive a reply that you are logged in.

This is the way it works on "not smart" phones. But I tend to wonder if smartphones need to use this method. I don't use IM's on the phone so can't say for sure.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    now if they can just add facebook chat that would be great
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWilliams0609 View Post
    now if they can just add facebook chat that would be great

if you have preware installed all you need to install is Facebook chat spoof.... Then go to messaging app and add a gtalk account....

123456789@chat.facebook.com

password

...remember to use ur Facebook username not ur email....
    Quick question. Traveling to Nicaragua. Will stay in hotel with wifi. Can I use the yahoo messenger feature in the messaging screen to im my husband on his palm pre with out being charged international rates?
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for all the advice about how to get the IM apps on the Pre. Sounds like IM+ is the best bet but I can't download it because everytime I go in the apps store and click on "download" on any app, I get an error message saying apps are unavailable at this time, and to try later.

Anyone else getting that? How long do these typically last?
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    I wish this would work on the AT&T Pre+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast