1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Another GREAT Pre review, this time in a 4 way comparison.

Enjoy the the read.

Take care, Jay

Want a computer in your pocket? We're just about there
    Business Casual, By Trent Moore, June 17, 2010, The Cullman Times, CullmanTimes.com, Cullman, Alabama

Want a computer in your pocket? We're just about there Ľ CullmanTimes.com, Cullman, Alabama

CULLMAN ó To be such a technophile, I came around to the smartphone bandwagon pretty late ó just a month or so ago, actually.

For the uninitiated, smartphones are about the hottest cellular phone sub-market out now. They normally feature e-mail capabilities, fully-functional Internet browsers and numerous applications that can put it on par with an average desktop computer. Most also double as video and MP3 players.

I recently made the leap to a smartphone ó the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon, to be exact ó and must say I couldnít be happier.

It really dawned on me the other night, when I wanted to check my Facebook, reply to an e-mail, watch a new video on Youtube and read a story Iíd heard about in the New York Times. Instead of grabbing my laptop off the desk in the den, I just pulled out my phone and finished all four tasks in about 10 minutes. In a lot of ways, the smartphone has replaced my computer when it comes to basic tasks.

If youíre looking for a way to stay more connected than ever, smartphones could be a brave new option for most of us.

But, just like with computers, there are literally a wealth of options out there to choose from.

For now, lets take a look at four: The Apple iPhone, Googleís Android, the RIM Blackberry and the Palm Pre Plus.

Most people have probably heard of at least two of these (the iPhone and Blackberry, Iíd imagine), and if you watch a lot of TV, you may have already seen commercials for all four.

If youíre a micro-manager with work, the Blackberry is probably your best bet. Itís become almost the de facto choice for business people, and handles e-mail and documents very well. Blackberry phones are also available on virtually all major wireless carriers, so if thatís what youíre looking for, it should be easy to find.

If you can handle the limitations of AT&Tís coverage around Cullman County (and their recently announced limits on data plans), the Apple iPhone is an excellent option. These phones handle e-mail well, have a great web browser and hundreds of thousands of applications are available. Plus, itís from Apple, so you know it works well.

Google Android phones are fairly new to the market, and are available on most major carriers. Their capabilities are similar to the iPhone, but there are numerous phones running the Android operating system available ó so you can pick and choose what fits you best.

The last (but not least) option Iíll note is the Palm Pre Plus, which is also available on most major carriers. It has the smallest market share of any phone mentioned above, but it is still an excellent option. The operating system is fast and elegant, and it has a burgeoning application market that is slowly showing signs of life. I love it, but what can I say, Iíve always been a fan of the underdog.

So, which one should you get?

Well, thatís up to you. It really depends on your preference, and I honestly recommend you go to the local Verizon/AT&T store and spend some time with whichever phone youíre interested in before buying. It may sound silly to put that much effort into picking a cellphone, but youíll be spending a lot of time with it over that next year ó so itís important to make the right call.

Trent Moore can be reached by e-mail at trentm@cullmantimes.com, or by telephone at 734-2131, ext. 225.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    That was a refreshing read
  3.    #3  
    HI, Thank you. If we think it was great read, wait until Palm starts selling a new Pre! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group