1.    #1  
    Only my speaker phone or earpiece works.

I cannot put the phone to my ear and hear anyone on the line (though they can hear me perfectly). But if I plug the earpiece in, it's fine. Likewise, if I place the phone on speaker phone, I can hear the other person talk.

Is this a software or hardware issue?
  2.    #2  
    When I make or receive a phone call, I hear nothing when I place the phone up to my ear. If, however, I place the phone on speaker phone, I'm fine. Likewise, if I use the earphones, it works fine too.

Is this a hardware or software issue?

Help!
    I'm guessing it's the somewhat common hardware issue, phantom headset. I'd insert/remove a headphone jack a few times which may free it, or download 'The Ghastly Headset' which does the trick too. Or if you have insurance just take it for repair/exchange.
    When you make a call does it show headset at the lower left of the screen?
    it seems like it may be stuck in headset mode. I would plug in earphones turn some music on and stop music and throw away app then try and see if it works . Also try turning phone off then on again . Also blow out the jack with either a good stern blow lol or with a can of compressed air used for keyboard cleaning
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    You may wanna give this a shot

EDIT -- To answer if it is a hardware or software issue. This has been long debated as different people have been able to get different results through different methods.

Some say software, some say hardware... From my own experience, i believe it is purely hardware based, but i may be wrong
    this happens mostly when you pull out jack while something is playing like music or while talking . Basically if you pull out jack while it's in use , this tends to happen.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    This is a common issue. The best advice I know is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The simplest "trick" usually is the most efficient to preform. Just turn on some music on the device then insert and remove the headset jack until you start hearing music coming out of the Pre speaker. This should resolve about 90% of the cases without having to resort to sticking foreign objects into the device.
    You can also check out the official thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sound-fix.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    happened to me once. none of the tips in here worked. Verizon sent me a new one.
    I tried everything in the book and the only thing that worksfor me is cleaning the port out with a rubbing alcohol swabbed qtip. Also, there's an entire sticky thread on this. Many questions can be answered on this forum just by doing a simple search. GL.
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  11.    #11  
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Unfortunately, I am no further ahead though today I may try "The Ghastly Headset" application.

I'll let you know where I end up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    happened to me once. none of the tips in here worked. Verizon sent me a new one.
    Same problem for me. They sent me another phone.

Just got my replacement phone, but all the contacts aren't there?
  13.    #13  
    I give ...... sending phone back!

Thanks for everyone's time/input.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    thanks for the information here, this bug was driving me nuts!