Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    I'm excited for GPU accelerated CSS transforms. I made a patch that uses CSS transforms to animate the top bar icons. It looks great, but they sometimes act a little glitchy.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Umm, well: you do know it's called "webOS" for a reason, right? The entire purpose of webOS is to utilize Web standards that are both ubiquitous and the future. It's also precisely why HP bought Palm--because webOS embraces future technologies. You've heard the little spat between Apple and Adobe, and the conflict between Flash and HTML5, right?

    Yes, it's taken awhile for fundamental technologies to catch up with webOS, but they are. This is why we don't yet have a GPU accelerated UI (that's been waiting for stable CSS transforms and such), and why we don't yet have audio and camera APIs (those are just now becoming available in HTML5). Palm made the deliberate decision to implement industry standards rather than making proprietary APIs, which will serve them very well in the future.
    Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    You should try my tip I posted a few weeks ago if you haven't already, search for "setting logging minimal speeds up Pre" (without quotes). It should help with performance at stock speeds.
    I do remember reading that thread, but the catch is that with minimal logging, Palm gets virtually no updates if something crashes. I would like to give Palm all the help I can, to make WebOS more stable.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
    I've been reading on here, and the majority of people that seem to feel that their phone is "aging" are those that bought the Palm Pres on Sprint. For them, I understand. As far as I know, Palm hasn't tried to update the phone's hardware in any way (in terms of slider and oreo effects", at least), and for that, I understand why they'd want a new phone.

    Let's face it: As great as webOS is, the original Pre's were pretty shoddy. Of course, the Pre Pluses still aren't the most well-built phones (could use some glass and metal, instead of plastic...), but they're much better than the original, and they even have an update to the RAM.

    I have a Pre Plus, and I absolutely love it. I know it'll last me the two years until my next contract, and while I was sort of afraid to get hardware that was apparently "out of date", I'm happy to have something that suits me just fine. Plus, with the overclock to 800 MHz, it's almost at the GHz mark, anyways.
    I believe Apple has a patent on the glass screen as well.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    I believe Apple has a patent on the glass screen as well.
    The first Motorola Droids used a glass screen, but I think the replacements are coming out with plastic, or plastic covered screens.
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gu1l7y5p4rk View Post
    The first Motorola Droids used a glass screen, but I think the replacements are coming out with plastic, or plastic covered screens.
    The Evo screen is glass, the Moment screen is glass, the Droid Inc is glass. I don't think they have a patent on glass.
  7. #27  
    I completely disagree with most of you. Palm's main focus should be releasing a new hardware to do some damage control because of the Pre hardware poor quality. I was at the Sprint store the other day to replace my Pre (my 7th since launch) and the technician tried to get me to buy the Evo, he said that he would not touch, recommend or sell the Pre. He said the OS is fine but the phone itslef is the worst phone he has ever sold in terms of hardware quality. Then I saw another sales guy telling a potential customer after the customer asked about the Pre that if he(the customer) is ok with replacing the phone many times then he should get it. Let's face it, the Pre's reputation is crap.
  8. #28  
    yeah if you listen or read about the last developers conference, they are making big changes to WebOS, to make it easier for developers to write apps for WebOS so they can compete.

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I completely disagree with most of you. Palm's main focus should be releasing a new hardware to do some damage control because of the Pre hardware poor quality. I was at the Sprint store the other day to replace my Pre (my 7th since launch) and the technician tried to get me to buy the Evo, he said that he would not touch, recommend or sell the Pre. He said the OS is fine but the phone itslef is the worst phone he has ever sold in terms of hardware quality. Then I saw another sales guy telling a potential customer after the customer asked about the Pre that if he(the customer) is ok with replacing the phone many times then he should get it. Let's face it, the Pre's reputation is crap.
    I have a feeling that the Pre just can't handle abuse as well as other phones. I'm on my original one, bought a couple of months after launch. I've never dropped it, I slide it open and closed slowly, keep it in the oroginal pouch at all times, and just generally baby it. It has no cracks, scratches, or anything else on it. If you like to slam the phone open and closed like I've seen some people do, I'm not surprised that it breaks. The build quality is subpar, but not as bad as some people make it out to be. I feel that the slider mechanism is very poor, as I have seen much more solid sliders on much cheaper phones. But if you don't abuse it, it is fine.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The Evo screen is glass, the Moment screen is glass, the Droid Inc is glass. I don't think they have a patent on glass.
    Ok my mistake. I read online somewhere that Apple had a patent on the glass screen. In that case, there is no excuse for any multitouch smartphone to have a plastic screen.
  11. madcow706's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I completely disagree with most of you. Palm's main focus should be releasing a new hardware to do some damage control because of the Pre hardware poor quality. I was at the Sprint store the other day to replace my Pre (my 7th since launch) and the technician tried to get me to buy the Evo, he said that he would not touch, recommend or sell the Pre. He said the OS is fine but the phone itslef is the worst phone he has ever sold in terms of hardware quality. Then I saw another sales guy telling a potential customer after the customer asked about the Pre that if he(the customer) is ok with replacing the phone many times then he should get it. Let's face it, the Pre's reputation is crap.
    I agree with you. I have had to many replacement pre's to count. But when you go into the store, and the stores display unit has a broken screen, it really shows how the Pre is not a quality product.
  12. madcow706's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    I have a feeling that the Pre just can't handle abuse as well as other phones. I'm on my original one, bought a couple of months after launch. I've never dropped it, I slide it open and closed slowly, keep it in the oroginal pouch at all times, and just generally baby it. It has no cracks, scratches, or anything else on it. If you like to slam the phone open and closed like I've seen some people do, I'm not surprised that it breaks. The build quality is subpar, but not as bad as some people make it out to be. I feel that the slider mechanism is very poor, as I have seen much more solid sliders on much cheaper phones. But if you don't abuse it, it is fine.
    But what would you say is a slam(when opening or closing the phone)? Isn't that relative? I don't abuse my pre, I take care of it the same way, and I even carried it in a padded case, and 2 refurbs I received the screens cracked several days later (from normal use, and in fact Sprint is aware it is an issue and replaces the Pre under warranty). I finally got a decent working Pre, but its a pain to have to deal with obvious build quality issues in a phone. It just boggles the mind who Palm chose to manufacture this phone, since previous phones didn't have these type of issues.
  13. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #33  
    You know, they did spell out a lot of what's coming down the pike at Developer Day back in March.



    http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall

    Of note: replacing Java VM's with JavaScript services (vastly improved performance all around + devs will be able to do stuff that only homebrewers have been able to do), hardware accelerated CSS-transforms in the UI, and things like Mic/camera access and advanced networking in the SDK + hybrid PDK apps + much more goodness.
  14. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #34  
    I've heard this over and over again. I got my first Pre on launch day. Never had a problem with it, except I thought I saw some screen discoloration so I traded that one in for a new one. Turn out to be the background image used in the catalog was fooling my eyes. So I've had the same Pre for almost 12 months, no case, no screen protector, sits in my pocket a lot with my keys and change etc.,. I let the kids play with it, I've dropped in down three or four stairs, off the couch, out of the car, concrete floors, asphalt, you name it and it still works great. Tiny little cosmetic scratches, a single 1/4 but still light cosmetic scratch. No slider issues, no cracking, nada. The worst damage is that the silvery coating on the button has worn away.
    Maybe I ended up with the ONE good phone, but who wants to constantly live in worry.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Ok my mistake. I read online somewhere that Apple had a patent on the glass screen. In that case, there is no excuse for any multitouch smartphone to have a plastic screen.
    I think there was speculation of Apple obtaining a glass screen patent, but it was prolly pure speculation.

    Speaking of build quality. I wont be the first or last to say the Pre has a subpar quality of build. The Keyboard and Slider being the worst.

    But It would only take a stronger Slider construction, a better keyboard, and maybe a front-facing camera to fully satisfy me and probably many others on the next hardware release. Then Palm would be some competition... I think.
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  16. #36  
    Pre's build quality is the worst I've ever seen. Even cheapo $10 prepaid phones are built better (better keypads). Anyone who doesn't agree with this either hasn't dealt with other phones or is a ****** living in a little fantasy world.
  17. #37  
    the build quality has improved tremendously.

    my pre plus is over 5 months old, has none of the hardware issues people complain about, except for missing letter issue periodically.

    for people reading these posts, remember that those of us that don't have probs don't post.

    is there room for improvement? No doubt. But I stand behind my pre plus, hardware quality is fine.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by samecolor View Post
    Pre's build quality is the worst I've ever seen. Even cheapo $10 prepaid phones are built better (better keypads). Anyone who doesn't agree with this either hasn't dealt with other phones or is a ****** living in a little fantasy world.
    I keep hearing this but no one will answer..... what is wrong with the keyboard physically? I have had my sprint Pre since October, so has my wife..... keyboard is as good if not better than on the centro (I personaly like it a lil better than the centro but this is with the Sprint case on my Pre so the thickness is just right for me to hold onto and touch type better than on the centro), and better than some other none palm phones I have had in the past.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I've heard this over and over again. I got my first Pre on launch day. Never had a problem with it, except I thought I saw some screen discoloration so I traded that one in for a new one. Turn out to be the background image used in the catalog was fooling my eyes. So I've had the same Pre for almost 12 months, no case, no screen protector, sits in my pocket a lot with my keys and change etc.,. I let the kids play with it, I've dropped in down three or four stairs, off the couch, out of the car, concrete floors, asphalt, you name it and it still works great. Tiny little cosmetic scratches, a single 1/4 but still light cosmetic scratch. No slider issues, no cracking, nada. The worst damage is that the silvery coating on the button has worn away.
    Maybe I ended up with the ONE good phone, but who wants to constantly live in worry.
    Exactly. Vocal Minority FTW. (or FTL depending on perspective) Think about where you live...pick us a Zagat guide or similar and you will be surprised how many "highly rated" restaurants are in your area.

    On the same note, I bet you "know" where are the bad restaurants are. It's the number one rule of sales\customer service. An upset customer will tell at least 10 people of their experience, where a happy customer will keep coming back (and recommend you to others)

    ...Guess which folk roam the halls of P|C??

    Edit: 2nd Pre since last October and despite nicks all over the case from umpteen drops and falls, it works perfectly and flies speed wise because I know when I get a bad app and delete it if it affects my performance (same for patches)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions