1.    #1  
    I have switched from the Sprint Pre to the EVO 4G. However, I still like using the pre for things. However, when I let it sit there, it tries to connect to Sprint's network, or some services that are not available to it anymore, and it gets hot and the battery is drained rather fast.

Is there a way to remove the connection to the carrier and just use it at a wifi internet device or WebOS PDA of sorts?

And this question is for the other carriers too. Can it be done with them as well?

TS
    Doctor it...and use the cross platform bypass hack
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Basically if you are paying for service, you would just turn ON Airplane mode and then turn ON WiFi.
    If you are no longer paying for service on your Pre, then I don't think it can still be used to web browse etc. Just as a mp3 player or other non-web supported apps.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Or you can try this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Doctor it...and use the cross platform bypass hack

Didn't know that was possible thnx.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    palm should release and iPod touch-like device
    My treo has been off since I got my Pre and every so often when I turn it back on I have an indicator telling me I have a new voice mail. So I wonder if the Treo finds a signal or searches like the op is reffering to.
    Am I missing somehing or wouldnt airplane mode followed by turning on wifi get you the results your looking for?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    There is a Device menu patch that gives a specific phone radio toggle. That should disable the Sprint network while keeping GPS, bluetooth, and Wifi enabled, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWilliams0609 View Post
    palm should release and iPod touch-like device
    This is SOO true.

But I think that they should brand it an HP device.

HP is better known in the mp3 player world.

If they made it a Palm device everyone would assume its a phone.

But seriously, all these kids playing on their iPod Touch's... Guess what phone they will want to buy when they are all grown up?

Apple, the marketing genius.
    Palm has a .jar tool (bottom of linked page) that takes a Pre and basically turns it into a PDA (without App Catalog access though). You rely on Wifi for data. Read over the limitations before acting:

Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center

If you want App Catalog access as well as other goodies, then delve into the world of Meta-Doctor.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    OP, are you still logged into your profile? If so, just turn Airplane Mode on and then turn Wifi on.

I've been doing the same thing for about 8 months.
    just put it in air plane mode and connect to wifi it will leave air plane mode on
    just did this today after unexpectedly scoring an Evo at Best Buy. Turned airplane mode on just before activation of the Evo. Question is: what if you accidentally turn airplane mode off? I'd rather not delve into Metadoctor just yet.
    In the phone app, type ##633#
    This turns off the telephony radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    My treo has been off since I got my Pre and every so often when I turn it back on I have an indicator telling me I have a new voice mail. So I wonder if the Treo finds a signal or searches like the op is reffering to.

My Centro did the same thing after I got the Pre. Had it sitting in my office and got a call and voicemail that came thru on the Pre but still sent a notification to the Centro. Haven't had batteries in either Centro for a while now, so I don't know if it just happens after initial phone change or if it would still get pushed the notification from the VM now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    just did this today after unexpectedly scoring an Evo at Best Buy. Turned airplane mode on just before activation of the Evo. Question is: what if you accidentally turn airplane mode off? I'd rather not delve into Metadoctor just yet.
    Nothing will happen. Your Pre will just endlessly search for the Sprint network. The whole point of putting it into Airplane Mode is just to get better battery life.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    In the phone app, type ##633#
    This turns off the telephony radio.
    Is that just a different way of turning airplane mode on? Or is it more fool-proof?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Nothing will happen. Your Pre will just endlessly search for the Sprint network. The whole point of putting it into Airplane Mode is just to get better battery life.
    thank you! (i'll post appropriate "thanks" when I'm on a proper pc). I thougt I'd read somewhere that the Pre would just turn into a useless brick if it was deactivated, so that's why I'm asking all these questions.
  19.    #19  
    The Airplane mode + Wifi has turned out great. I've had it on for a few days now and the battery is still good. And it doesn't get blazing hot.

Thanks everyone!

TS
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    Is that just a different way of turning airplane mode on? Or is it more fool-proof?
    Sorta. To turn that radio back on you have to first turn on airplane mode then turn it back off. Something you're not likely to accidentally do.