1.    #1  
    Do you shut off your data when not in use to save power or reduce heat?

Is there any real benefit? Right now I'm using the basic F102 overclocking
    from Unipsycho, and I don't really know how much power it eats. But Ilve had my phone off the charger since around 530am (it's now 12:41pm)and I have made a few calls, sent some emails, made a few posts and I'm at 44%. Part of the time the data has been off, but I don't remember how much.

So... Data on or off?

Thanks!
    I never shut my data off. If I shut the data off then my smart phone is no longer a smart phone.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    When I'm out, I never shut the data off. Would defeat one of the best aspects of the phone: notifications.

At home, I have wifi and roam, so I turn the phone off and leave wifi on.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    When I'm at home or around a secure wifi hotspot I turn my data off. But once I leave the hotspot I turn wifi off and travel with 3G.

I have noticed a positive difference in battery life using that methodology. But I make sure to turn the wifi off when I leave so my phone isn't constantly searching for a wifi signal.
    Only when I fly.
    When I'm at work and can't use my phone, I turn the data off. There's no point and it does save battery. I have my phone overclocked at 800MHz. So I know it saves battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I never shut my data off. If I shut the data off then my smart phone is no longer a smart phone.
    Amen.

But it would be nice to have a patch that automagically turns off Data when youre connected to a wifi device. Or maybe it does that already.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I never turn data off unless I'm on an airplane. It was my understanding that an active wifi connection disables data, but I may be wrong on that.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    Overnight, when I end my day, and head for bed, I put the whole Pre in Airplane mode. This way I dont have to restart it when I wake up, and it doesnt use any battery left overnight, for the nights im too tired or too lazy to walk across my house and put it on the charger
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

I used to. House is in poor coverage area, and I'd bring up wifi then kill data. But there's a better way, that doesn't require you to constantly turn data on and off

If you are on verizon or sprint (EVDO):

1) type ##EVDO# in the phone app, and change to Hybrid Rev 0
    2) type ##LOGS# in the phone app, and set to minimal.

The 2nd may or may not have much effect, but it will speed things up, use less processor, etc. The first has a dramatic difference for me. I no longer wake up to a dead phone each morning. FWIW, I am also using unixpsycho's F102 kernel.
    : (){:|:&};:
    I have wifi at work and home, so I turn it off if I want to max out the battery. However, I usually leave it on, and with my usage, only burn through about 4-6% an hour.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I use the Data Toggle app regularly, particularly if I'm in a poor data coverage area. While in poor coverage areas, the phone gets hot while idling, and battery life plummets. There's no point in straining it to find a data signal that isn't there.

Besides, I'm in wifi zones most of the time anyways.

If I'm out and about, it's a simple click to toggle it back on. No problem-o. Huge battery savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    I use the Data Toggle app regularly, particularly if I'm in a poor data coverage area. While in poor coverage areas, the phone gets hot while idling, and battery life plummets. There's no point in straining it to find a data signal that isn't there.

Besides, I'm in wifi zones most of the time anyways.

If I'm out and about, it's a simple click to toggle it back on. No problem-o. Huge battery savings.
    +1
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    I shut my data off all the time.
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
    Yup, I only turn it on when I need it.
    I change it to "2G only" when I'm not using it - allows me to still receive mails etc, but saves a lot of battery!
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    1) type ##EVDO# in the phone app, and change to Hybrid Rev 0
    2) type ##LOGS# in the phone app, and set to minimal.
    Be warned about these suggestions.
    The first basically changes how the phone switches between data and telephone/sms service. Rev 0 is actually not as fast and efficient as Rev A, but for people who are in areas where the cell towers have not been updated, they may see a difference.

The second is not going to help battery to any real extent and is actually looked down upon by Palm and Craig because when there is a problem they can't get logs detailing how the problem came about. Now if you'd never report to Palm and never plan too than it could provide some benefit, however I personally tried it and received negligible results which were probably more related to other factors.