1.    #1  
    I did the search and it came back with things I don't understand.

That being the case work uses Novell Groupwise and has the web verision so I can access it from any where on the internet. Well I can access the web site from my phone and write new emails but I cant open the ones in the inbox I get.

So I started looking on here for information and found to much to coprenhend and called our IT department and they are also looking into it.

Is it syncing that will tie all of this together? If so how do I do it/
    Quote Originally Posted by jvwvu View Post

That being the case work uses Novell Groupwise and has the web verision so I can access it from any where on the internet. Well I can access the web site from my phone and write new emails but I cant open the ones in the inbox I get.

So I started looking on here for information and found to much to coprenhend and called our IT department and they are also looking into it.

Having been a CNA (Certified Novell Administrator) that administered GroupWise (great product) some years ago. The simple answer is to have them (your system administrators) provide the POP or IMAP settings for you to configure in your Palm Pre.

I did a quick search over on the Novell Support Knowledgebase and found that their newest mobility solution (ActiveSync) should work with WebOS, your administrators can get a demo of it HERE. Good luck!
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 06/18/2010 at 07:41 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks,

They got me the ability to read emails now but not send.

Still don't understand why the web site doesnt work via the pre but does on the Ipod touch.
    Thanks,

They got me the ability to read emails now but not send.

Still don't understand why the web site doesnt work via the pre but does on the Ipod touch.

Did they do that with POP or IMAP? Do they not have an outgoing server address for you to use for sending or do they not want you using it?
    @OP
    If you are still accessing GW via a Web Browser, as Pastorrich said, you should try get your IT folk to configure Synergy on your Palm. By using POP or IMAP you will get to really enjoy (and be far more productive) with your Pre.

Have you tried to configure the mail "acount and preferences" on your pre, or simply going in through the browser?

russ
  6.    #6  
    They did it with pop,
    Incoming gwpop.XXX.XXX
    Incoming was not encryted using port 110

Outgoing was exsmtp.XXX.XXX
    Use Authentication was set to off
    Encryption was None
    Port 25

He said I needed to talk to pre since he had no idea. And we pay these guys bunches of money.
    So... he gave you outgoing server information but it doesn't work for outgoing mail?

If that is the case, try setting up a pc or 3rd party email address (yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc.) away from work to pull your GW email using those same POP settings. If it works, you will know the settings are good and the issue is with WebOS. If however it doesn't work (and does like your Pre) then you will know that you pay those guys too much and they don't know what they are doing.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, again will try that.

Quickly read through your posts, and here's some things:

As was suggested, the new upcoming mobility package is your long term answer. Suggest (politely, as one that works in IT support, I'll repeat, suggest politely) that your IT department look at it. It's looking pretty good, but will not be a simple add on. That said, it gives GroupWise the ability to not only sync with the Pre, but with the iPhone, and virtually any Windows Mobile device.

You could also (politely) suggest NotifyLink. It's not going to be free, but it also will give them some options they probably don't currently have (Notify Technology - Enterprise Mobility, BlackBerry ActiveSync Compatibility).

POP is the least desirable option. You are much better syncing via IMAP. However, your IT staff will have to ensure that GWIA is set up for IMAP (and/or POP), and they will need to give you the server information for both incoming and outgoing (though it's probably the same server). That said, the drawback to both IMAP and POP is that it is only email. None of your calendaring or contact information will sync up.

If you go the IMAP or POP route, and want to sync contacts and calendar events, you can use CompanionLink (that's my solution, we're way behind versions on GroupWise where I work, and won't be doing mobility any time soon).

WebAccess should work. What version of GroupWise are you folks using? What specific error are you getting?
  10.    #10  
    Program release 7.0.1 (6/13/2006) - the webaccess works on internet and ipod touch, it just won't open emails in my inbox on the pre but I can create a new message that pops up in another webaccess screen.

I tried pop and it just wont send an email and the inbox just keeps loading all of the messages that were moved in the last 3 days, so I am deleting the pop.
    Program release 7.0.1 (6/13/2006) - the webaccess works on internet and ipod touch, it just won't open emails in my inbox on the pre but I can create a new message that pops up in another webaccess screen..
    Assuming your website uses SSL, try the following (if it doesn't use SSL, drop the "s" in "https").

https://yourhost.domain.com/servlet/webacc?User.interface=simple

I know it's a lot to type, so you probably want to bookmark it. This will give you a more "plain jane" interface, until you work out the issues.

I'm suspecting a possible certificate issue.
  12.    #12  
    I changed a few things and thanks to you two got it.

I went with IMAP and had to change outing mail server to ssl.

Its just like it is at work with all my folders.

Thanks,
    Cool, glad you got it working. It took me a while too, and I'm a GW server admin!
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    I changed a few things and thanks to you two got it.

I went with IMAP and had to change outing mail server to ssl.

Its just like it is at work with all my folders.

Thanks,
    Good Job! Congrats.

I used to love GW when I used it. I felt it was so much better than outlook then (1999-2004), and hopefully still is. Probably GW 5.5 if I remember correctly.

I am having one heck of a time getting the IMAP settings from my wifes company IT folks so I can test it on a Pre and get her switched over from the Samsung Instinct using OWA. They use Exchange and act like Good Software is the only way to access their server.
    It has some newer hardware demands and is still in pre-beta, but this is the one being developed by Novell. If your company is up on their maintenance there should be no costs to get it.

Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack Technology Preview

The Pre does have a few issues that I've been reporting all over their support forums, and it is supposed to become an official public-beta next month. I do have to say despite the few Pre related shortcomings, it is very nice to have everything syncing natvely again.
    1. Is there any way to get the email set up without going through IT folks - they are not very interested in providing any support to those of us with smartphones (tried before when I first got a blackberry - was told "you're on your own")

2. Is there any freeware that will allow me to sync my groupwise calendar with my palm pre plus?

I've been searching these forums and other websites for hours now - sorry if this question is being asked for the 1000th time but I have yet to come up with recent answers.....

thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Good Job! Congrats.

I used to love GW when I used it. I felt it was so much better than outlook then (1999-2004), and hopefully still is. Probably GW 5.5 if I remember correctly.

I am having one heck of a time getting the IMAP settings from my wifes company IT folks so I can test it on a Pre and get her switched over from the Samsung Instinct using OWA. They use Exchange and act like Good Software is the only way to access their server.
    Have you tried configuring the Pre using Activesync via the OWA address?
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    My wife has GW at work and has countless problems with her Pre e-mail. Now we synch it all through GMail and most problems have been eliminated.
    Quote Originally Posted by JulSki View Post
    1. Is there any way to get the email set up without going through IT folks - they are not very interested in providing any support to those of us with smartphones (tried before when I first got a blackberry - was told "you're on your own")

2. Is there any freeware that will allow me to sync my groupwise calendar with my palm pre plus?

I've been searching these forums and other websites for hours now - sorry if this question is being asked for the 1000th time but I have yet to come up with recent answers.....

thanks !
    Unfortunately, it's really not quite as easy as "without going through IT folks". There are so many different ways that GroupWise can be set up, that it's not a simple "Here's how you do it".

Here are some basic questions you will need for your IT people to answer for you.

Do they allow IMAP or POP connections? If so, what are the servers that you need to attache to for incoming and outgoing email?

If they do not allow IMAP or POP connections, will they make an exception for you (not likely, but never hurts to ask).

If they do not and will not, do they have WebAccess available? If so, what is the URL for WebAccess?

If all of the answers above are negative, are you able to run synchronization software from behind their firewall (in my opinion, this is the LEAST desirable solution).

BTW, for what it's worth, an IT administrator that says "you're on your own with mobile phones" without at least offering a reasonable explanation as to why they don't support them is doing a disservice to their users.

It's one thing to not allow such devices for security reasons, it's another to not be willing to help.

I love it when my users have problems. If they never did, I'd be flipping hamburgers somewhere.