Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

My ATT contract is up & I'm considering switching to a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I currently use a Blackberry Curve 8310. My Blackberry experience has been generally good, but I'm thinking of dropping it because:
    -No touch screen
    -The web browser sucks.

My main concern with the Pre is the keyboard. The tactile keyboard is unquestionably one of the best things the Blackberry has going for it. Is the Pre keyboard adequate? I do type a lot of email on my phone.

My main uses for it would be (aside from phone) email, moderate web browsing, ability to shoot semi-decent photos (and at least mediocre video) that can easily be emailed/uploaded, easy syncing with Outlook on Windows. Easily open and browse word doc and pdf attachments. And I'm a Facebook junkie.

If I could remotely connect to other computers on my home network to do really basic stuff that would be a plus.

So I'd like to hear from Pre Plus users who have had experience with Blackberries as well.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Coming from a Blackberry, my biggest issue was mail filed into folders by exchange. The BB did a stellar job of showing me all unread mail, regardless of folder. The Pre does not, no matter how you "favorite" the folder.

Also, believe it or now, I became so accustomed to the BB's notification light. I used a little utility that would blink the light different colors, based upon message type. The Pre's notification light is too small and dim.

There are certainly tradeoff's, those were my biggest two.

You will miss stuff like the BB's auto text scripts, capitalization and spell check as well.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 for work, and having used both I find myself really liking the Pre. The touchscreen is great, apps are pretty decent, and it's just easy to use. Also, I really like having wi-fi and GPS. The Pre syncs nicely with my email, calendar, ect.. i've never tried to open .doc or .pdf files with it, but I know that it will view them.

That being said, I prefer the keyboard on the Curve.. the keys are larger and nicely spaced apart. Also, the battery life on the Curve is going to be better, but that's due to the touchscreen on the Pre.

Is the keyboard adequate on the Pre.. certainly. Like anything else, it just takes time to get used to. I can still type faster on the Curve, but it's just from practice.

A final thought.. I mentioned the GPS a bit ago, but right now there is a bug/glitch/problem between Palm and Verizon, which is preventing the GPS from functioning correctly. They keep saying that there is a fix in the works, but it's impossible to say what the outcome will be. Personally, it causes my GPS fix to sometimes be a half mile off and sometimes it finds my location within 10 feet.

Good luck.. i'm not a bit disappointed with my Pre, this phone continues to amaze me. And webOS is really, really cool.
    Last edited by Keldog; 06/17/2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Yes the keyboard is adequate. If you start making common mistakes with certain words that aren't in the auto-correct dictionary, it's very very easy to edit the auto correct dictionary.

I do pretty much all of those things and more and I have no problem with it, in fact I love it because I can do all of it at once . My camera is broken but before that I used video/pictures all the time.

There's an app that allows you to sync to Windows and control it but I'm not sure how good it is, as there is 0 star reviews to 5 star reviews so thats up to you.

I'm a Sprint Pre user, so non plus.

I've used my friends blackberry and I can personally say that the Pre does everything it does, but actually does it good.

The ONLY thing that the Blackberry has better than the Palm Pre, is the Opera Mini browser that can be downloaded for use.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Well I personally think you will enjoy the Pre+. The phone will do all of the above very, very well out the box. Get it homebrewed with a kernal and you're set. Only issue you will have is battery life. You can fix that with a 1400mah (not a huge chane) or get a 2600mah (makes the phone thicker) and play as you wish. Was on AT&T for a bit (hated the plans, on Sprint now) and used a BB for a min. I truly didn't use the phone to it's fullest but it was nice. So the comparison is that BB didn't keep my interest like the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    Hi,

My ATT contract is up & I'm considering switching to a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I currently use a Blackberry Curve 8310. My Blackberry experience has been generally good, but I'm thinking of dropping it because:
    -No touch screen
    -The web browser sucks.

My main concern with the Pre is the keyboard. The tactile keyboard is unquestionably one of the best things the Blackberry has going for it. Is the Pre keyboard adequate? I do type a lot of email on my phone.

My main uses for it would be (aside from phone) email, moderate web browsing, ability to shoot semi-decent photos (and at least mediocre video) that can easily be emailed/uploaded, easy syncing with Outlook on Windows. Easily open and browse word doc and pdf attachments. And I'm a Facebook junkie.

If I could remotely connect to other computers on my home network to do really basic stuff that would be a plus.

So I'd like to hear from Pre Plus users who have had experience with Blackberries as well.
    Do it. I came from a curve. You won't miss much from that device, especially once you have preware and patches running.

The only drawback to any phone over the blackberry is lack of true push email, and PIN messaging. But you'll have that with any phone. Blackberries do, indeed, excel at the messaging thing. I miss my multi-color LED and sound profile control too (being addressed on WebOS with mode switcher). You may not like the keyboard much at first (the curve's is quite nice), but once you get used to it, it works really well.

Google Maps on WebOS sucks, even compared to the curve though. You'll be disappointed there if you currently rely on google maps a lot.

For everything you mention above, WebOS excels. It's also very easy to get to the underlying OS to make it behave the way you want (running SSH, for example)

In the meantime, install the bolt browser. It's really nice and geared towards trackball use. It makes web browsing on the curve quite tolerable, and it's fast.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Coming from a Blackberry, my biggest issue was mail filed into folders by exchange. The BB did a stellar job of showing me all unread mail, regardless of folder. The Pre does not, no matter how you "favorite" the folder.

Also, believe it or now, I became so accustomed to the BB's notification light. I used a little utility that would blink the light different colors, based upon message type. The Pre's notification light is too small and dim.

There are certainly tradeoff's, those were my biggest two.

You will miss stuff like the BB's auto text scripts, capitalization and spell check as well.
    My Sprint Pre has a nice big round notification light.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, this all sounds great. Again the keyboard was my biggest concern. It also be nice if a truly decent virtual keyboard in landscape mode existed - mainly for enrering web urls.

Verizon is offering free tethering if purchased before July 1.
    Thanks, this all sounds great. Again the keyboard was my biggest concern. It also be nice if a truly decent virtual keyboard in landscape mode existed - mainly for enrering web urls.

Verizon is offering free tethering if purchased before July 1.
    There is a keyboard that works that is virtual. I don't know if it works landscape, but I know portrait it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  10.    #10  
    I've noticed a few 3rd party keyboards. I'm hoping for one that works in landscape and integrates with other apps so I can enter web addresses into the browser without switching perspective and pulling it out the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Hi,

My ATT contract is up & I'm considering switching to a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I currently use a Blackberry Curve
    8310. My Blackberry experience has been generally good, but I'm thinking of dropping it because:
    -No touch screen
    -The web browser sucks

My main concern with the Pre is the keyboard. The tactile keyboard is unquestionably one of the b
    est things the Blackberry has going for it. Is the Pre keyboard adequate? I do type a lot of email on my phone.

My main uses for it would be (aside from phone) email, mode
    rate web browsing, ability to shoot semi-decent photos (and at least mediocre video) that can easily be emailed/uploaded, easy syncing with Outlook on Windows. Ea
    sily open and browse word doc and pdf attachments. And I'm a Facebook junkie.

I have the Pre+ on AT&T, and I believe it is the best Pre by far. My first was on Sprint, and the second was on VZ. The build and keyboard on my current Pre is SO much better than the two I had before. So why switch carriers?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have the Blackberry Tour and just got the Palm Pre Plus a couple months ago. I find I am always using my Pre. I do like my Blackberry. But the OS on this Pre is so much better to work with. The keyboard takes some getting used to but it's not been a problem for me.

I'd say get the Pre you'll love it.
    My wife had an ATT Blackberry 8310 that I upgraded to the Bold 9700. Great for her as she prefers a Blackberry and got it before the Pre even had a launch date for ATT. But the other night I borrowed her phone because she wanted me to leave my phone because she was streaming Hulu to my laptop using 3G Mobile hotspot (even though I bought PDA net for her Blackberry and her own laptop). I couldn't stand the web browser and the lack of touchscreen and the keyboard on the Pre is far better IMO. The way the Bold has the key shapes just never let me feel like I was hitting the correct keys. I think that the Curve 8520 and 8900 have better keyboards because of the space between the keys and the flat key surfaces, but I got her the Bold because of the 3G.

Also, the Pre has a dedicated period key that I find very handy. Coming from a Centro, it was easy to get used to the Pre keyboard. The only thing I had to get used to was that the 0 and @ were swapped, and inserting special symbols on the Centro was easier too.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I had a blackberry for about 3 years and I just switched to a Pre.
    You will love it so much more.
    Not to mention... Verizon is better, and has touch screen blackberries if you prefer!
    The Pre will do all you want, but does not handle email as well as the BB. For Outlook, you need to buy a third party sync program or if you are using a corporate server, you can sync over the air. Great phone that has good graphics, apps and also a very good camera.
    Im confident that you could use a Pre for over a year straight and never forget how graceful and strong WebOS is. I wish it was on my desktop, on my tv, in the bathroom, on my cars cd player, etc.

It works, and works good, just get some chargers an a bigger battery.
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    the virtual keyboard found in preware does come in landscape mode (been using it alot lately). If you do get the pre, just make sure you refer back to this site & see how to download preware & the patches & apps available will definitely have you hooked.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    You can look at these things two ways, the reason for switching to Verizon, and the reason for switching from the Blackberry to the Pre Plus. I won't touch the AT&T vs. Verizon issue here, because based on where you live, one or the other will be better.

As far as the build quality, all Palm Pre Plus phones came with WebOS 1.4.2, so are the latest version, and the quality is the best so far. Verizon versions started with WebOS 1.3 I believe, and while better than the Sprint Palm Pre, there are new Verizon versions of the Palm Pre Plus that come with 1.4 on them, and they are the same build quality as the AT&T version, so it had been improved and it is feeding back to Verizon.

With that said, if you go with Verizon, go retail and see if there is a sticker that indicates if it has 1.4 on it, or the earlier WebOS 1.3.
    I too switched from a Blackberry to WebOS. I couldn't be happier except for one thing -- I do miss the quality of the Blackberry battery. I had a Storm and was able to walk around with everything turned on (GPS, data, bluetooth, etc.) and still end the day with at least 60% battery life left. You probably had an even better experience, not having a touch screen. On the Palm Pre Plus you can't do that. You'll likely need to top off the charge at some point during the day.

Not a big deal if you sit at a desk and can plug it in (or use the Uber-cool Touchstone) or drive if your car and can put it on the 12-volt charger. But ... I thought I'd mention it.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    You can look at these things two ways, the reason for switching to Verizon, and the reason for switching from the Blackberry to the Pre Plus. I won't touch the AT&T vs. Verizon issue here, because based on where you live, one or the other will be better.

As far as the build quality, all Palm Pre Plus phones came with WebOS 1.4.2, so are the latest version, and the quality is the best so far. Verizon versions started with WebOS 1.3 I believe, and while better than the Sprint Palm Pre, there are new Verizon versions of the Palm Pre Plus that come with 1.4 on them, and they are the same build quality as the AT&T version, so it had been improved and it is feeding back to Verizon.

With that said, if you go with Verizon, go retail and see if there is a sticker that indicates if it has 1.4 on it, or the earlier WebOS 1.3.
    If the Pre Plus at the local verizon store still has the old OS, is it upgradable?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast