Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Don't even think about it. Just do it. I did. I got a Blackberry 8310 in February 2010 and was pretty disappointed with the browser. The trackball broke so I had it replaced with another. After an increasing number of lockups, I got annoyed enough to leave AT&T but they allowed me to have a PRE PLUS so I'm sticking with them. Setting it up now. I may have some questions to ask you experts, but from what I see so far, I'm pleased with my choice.
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    Right but who knows if the first incarnation will be any good? Given that the Storm has largely been a flop...
    That is certainly a legitimate concern. However, the new BB does appear to have some significant advantages over the Storm.

1) A webkit browser (this is huge, the current BB browser sucks).

2) A physical keyboard

3) Multi-touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    Don't even think about it. Just do it. I did. I got a Blackberry 8310 in February 2010 and was pretty disappointed with the browser.
    I didn't realize that AT&T still sold the 8310 in Feb 2010. In any event, anyone looking to buy a BB on AT&T should only be considering the 9700 (unless they want to wait for the 9800).
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Dude, this thing is sooooo freakin cool. Now if I could just figure out how to shut down applications that I'd like to close, when I'm done using them, and how to transfer my contacts and calendar out of outlook and onto the PRE, then I'm set. Charging and won't know what the battery is like, but I plan on getting an extended battery anyway, so it doesn't matter. Coming from Windows Mobile and the Centro before the BB, I don't expect BB style battery life. The PRE RULES!!!!
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I came from a Blackberry Pearl 8120. At least for me, Blackberry Internet Service plans are more expensive than simple data plans. So you'll save some cash there.

I've played around with a Blackberry Bold, and, IMHO, the Palm Pre keyboard can hold its own against the Bold keyboard (it beats the crap out of the Pearl keyboard, of course). The LED light on the Pre is better than the Blackberry one in my opinion, mainly because it flashes more often. Tradeoffs, for me:

Blackberry Messenger. Replacement: Google Talk (for me). Mojo Messenger is on its way too.

Auto-off function. No such thing on the Pre.

Shazam.

Push email: The Blackberry supported push hotmail. The Pre doesn't. Besides, RIM's implementation of push is much better than Palm's.

However, in the lovely Palm world, you gain lots of benefits, which in my opinion, outweighs Blackberry. Notably:

Multitouch.

Bigger better screen.

Decent browser.

Decent apps, decent games.

Synergy!!!!

Decent multitasking (Cards!!!).

I recommend that you play around on a Pre before you switch. It all boils down to which one you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    Dude, this thing is sooooo freakin cool. Now if I could just figure out how to shut down applications that I'd like to close, when I'm done using them, and how to transfer my contacts and calendar out of outlook and onto the PRE, then I'm set. Charging and won't know what the battery is like, but I plan on getting an extended battery anyway, so it doesn't matter. Coming from Windows Mobile and the Centro before the BB, I don't expect BB style battery life. The PRE RULES!!!!
    If you're still wondering how to do it, all you have to do is flick the card up and off the screen.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    When I left my BlackBerry Bold 9000 (the best BlackBerry ever to leave a factory), I was going for (any) Verizon smartphone because I hated AT&T so much that I couldn't stand it. I was attracted to the Palm because I wanted a keyboard and the Tour was a downgrade from even the Bold before it.

I miss my Bold for a couple reasons:
    - Build quality (and for this, I recommend looking at the Pixi before the Pre: solidity. I am on my fifth Pre+, but I never hear a thing about the Pixi)
    - Constantly available keyboard (I love the slider, and I hate the slider.)
    - Third-party app experience (you know that the development scene is dismal when you miss the BLACKBERRY APP CENTER. There are a few good diamonds but the rest is chaff)
    - Battery life (enough said)
    - Granularity (With all its faults, the BlackBerry OS lets you control EVERYTHING to detail.)

I don't look back for a couple reasons:
    - The entire OS (Java in 2010, RIM? Really?)
    - Simplicity (I got so tired of the OS-loading process to get the latest build with the fewest bugs.)
    - Touchscreen AND keyboard combo (This argument may be less formidable with the 9800)
    - Palm, Inc. (the company itself engages its users and developers like no other. I have been tweeted at, called, and emailed by Palm's community relations department. With RIM, you get your own PIN and that's about it.)

In short, if you've got a 83XX Curve, anything is going to be an improvement. If you are on Verizon, the CDMA BlackBerry selection is horrid. There's the underfeatured 85XXs, the bloated/insufficient Tour (won't call it a Bold) 9650, and the unBlackBerry Storm. Whatever Droid you get will be obsolete five times in five months, and then you've got, what? Palm. Go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by crobcary View Post
    I don't look back for a couple reasons:
    - The entire OS (Java in 2010, RIM? Really?)
    The Android SDK is also built around Java (a much better choice than Javascript IMHO).
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Android SDK is also built around Java (a much better choice than Javascript IMHO).
    Is it? How is it different, then? Are apps packaged as .jars as well? I thought Android was a modified Linux, so is it just that kernel controlling Java packages? The whole BlackBerry OS is written in Java, I had thought (but I can be completely wrong). If that's the case then Google is being much smarter about it and I still don't understand why RIM is clinging to such a deprecated engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by crobcary View Post
    Is it? How is it different, then? Are apps packaged as .jars as well? I thought Android was a modified Linux, so is it just that kernel controlling Java packages? The whole BlackBerry OS is written in Java, I had thought (but I can be completely wrong). If that's the case then Google is being much smarter about it and I still don't understand why RIM is clinging to such a deprecated engine.
    Android apps are written in java. The java vm runs on a Linux kernel. The blackberry os is not all written in Java, no os is. It's not Linux either though. The version of Java is certainly different and the SDKs are very different.

Unlike the new Palm, RIM probably does not want to abandon their old users. Probably very wise given how many of them they have.
  11.    #51  
    I'm 3 days in what I don't like so far:

-Battery life is terrible
    -Today I accidentally sent an email before I was done by brushing against the screen. This is clearly a problem. I was typing, picked up my coffee and the email was gone.

As for apps, I never installed much on my Blackberry.

If I would have stuck with the BB I would have gotten the 9700 Bold.

As for AT&T vs verizon I've been on both. I never had any trouble with AT&T for the two years I used them. If I could justify spending $200 on an Iphone I would.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the pre so far.
  12.    #52  
    And there is no question about it that email is a million times better on the blackberry in every respect.
    -Typing is easy & you can't accidentally send it off before finishing it
    -Message arrival is much more quick than on the Pre and checking for messages so often doesn't kill the battery so quickly
    -RIM works very well with Gmail if you want to use it as a POP account rather than an IMAP account.
    -RIM has a great email filtering system that can be customized via the web.

But alas, I want more than just an email machine, but I don't need a full-blown multimedia device, as I have a 160gb Ipod classic that is always with me.
    Multitasking on the pre is atonishing! I was also leary about the keyboard in the beginning but it is quite easy to use. I type full words when emailing and texting and never have an issue. Once flash 10.1 arrives the pre will be second to none. Good luck with whichever you choose.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    In my opinion, the merits of one OS vs another really boils down to what kind of user needs you have and then which OS/device design best meets your needs. So much of the OS posting wars (not necessarily here, but much more so on other boards beginning with the letter A...) include users who bash an OS like Blackberry, for example, who really shouldn't ever use BB since they have little use for the key features of BB. A college kid has very different phone OS/device design needs than a business traveler. It would be helpful for users considering switching devices or OS to know what type of user someone is so that you'd have some context for how they use a smartphone. If I switched to iPhone, I'd have almost zero interest in 99.9% of the app store since I use my phone for accurate business email, phone calls and mixed business/personal text. I love a good browser for sitting on a runway catching up on news, but I have no interest in playing games on my phone or using it as a music player. Blackberry is a great device for that kind of use, but so is a Pre due to the keyboard and multitasking cards. iPhone is a great device, in my opinion, but strongest for entertainment and music/media. A lot of business colleagues use iPhone and rave about all fo the "fun stuff", but they could probably use a few more business friendly features. There's a reason why every soccer mom you see has an iPhone while you see a lot of BBs in first class. People gravitate to what suits their needs. Android is a mix getting better in a hurry with Evo and Droid X. WM7 will probably be great for business use as well with the right device format. A nice keyboard and expansion slot are handy for business use where long and accurate emails are a must, as well as large document transfer with a laptop.

I'd love to see a Pre2 with a Treo 750 keyboard, an expansion slot and a little larger battery.

There is no perfect phone for most people and it's easier these days to try new ones for a short time test.
    I came from a BlackBerry Bold 9700. The thing is, I wasn't a "power" email user and wanted a phone that was more fun, but also smaller in size and with a keyboard. So I said no thanks iPhone, and got the Pre Plus.

And I love it!

I like the feel of the keyboard, it's not as roomy as BlackBerry's, but very useful. You will get used to it, trust me!

I love webOS. It's pretty, functional, very fun, and the community is excellent. I love the gestures (like swipe to delete), and deck of cards multitasking is sooo easy to get used to.

I get very good AT&T coverage in my area, so I always have solid call quality on my Pre Plus (guess I should feel lucky, considering other people's poor experience with AT&T!)

One of the things I miss about BlackBerry is Opera Mini 5, themes built into the App World, and more attention from devs in some ways (Amazon, ebay, PayPal, official Tumblr/Twitter/Wordpress apps not in App Catalog). However, there are a lot of things i love about my Pre Plus that far out weight the cons.

It's time to upgrade! And upgrade to the Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I'm glad to see you're loving the phone, minus the battery life and email.
    I'm not much on emailing so I've not really noticed it as one of my issues. I Just check mine once a day and let it go!
    On the battery life, I ordered an extended life battery and used some of the tips available on the sight to help with battery life and now.. I'm Set! Still not as good as Bberry on the battery but WAY better!
    Just always charge it, even if for a few minutes, whenever you get the chance!
    “We are stronger than we think we are. We have courage that we do not recognize until we need it. We are equal to challenges that we haven't even imagined yet.”
    Or get yourself a spare battery and charger. You can find then as cheap as $15.00 shipped on Ebay. If you let your battery run out completely before charging it, as in swapping out your battery when it's dead and charging it in the spare battery charger, you will keep the battery conditioned and not harm it's capacity. Although the Lithium Ion batteries are resistant to having memory problems.
    I was a BB Curve user for a couple of years and switched to the Pre+ in Feb.
    My thoughts:

If managing email from your phone is important stay with the BB.
    If battery life is important stay with the BB.
    If you depend on a durable phone stay with BB.
    The BB keyboard is MUCH better.

If you want a really really nice browser go with the Pre.
    If games/youtube/multimedia are important go with the Pre.
    If you want a really cool OS go with the Pre.

I'm still pretty happy with mine other than the fact that the alarm clock doesn't work all the time. I still use my BB for an alarm clock.

You can't beat the touchstone either...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    But alas, I want more than just an email machine, but I don't need a full-blown multimedia device, as I have a 160gb Ipod classic that is always with me.
    So aside from voice calls, email and other messaging (which the BB 9700 excels at), and multi-media (the iPhone's big strength), what are your looking for in your smartphone?

I think the 9800 may well close the gap between the Pre and 9700 for web browsing at least.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123