Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yup, simply swipe up launcher page and select Updates which looks like a gift box icon. There, you'll be able to update your OS over the air. Eventually, it'll automatically upgrade itself if you don't bother to check. I myself came from Pearl 8100 and never looked back. Had Pre since day one and never had any problem.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    If the Pre Plus at the local verizon store still has the old OS, is it upgradable?
    Yes it is.
  3.    #23  
    A couple of other things:

-Someone mentioned the email app is not particularly good. I have all my email accounts forwarded to gmail, so I only download from that one account onto my Blackberry (and on Outlook on my PC). And I don't do anything fancy in terms of syncing my email (i.e. so if I delete it on my Outlook or on my BB I don't expect it to be auto-deleted elsewhere, nor is that something I want). I just to want to be sure that emails downloaded to my Palm will still download to my Outlook later. This is the case with the Blackberry. I'm not quite sure how it works, because I was never able to get emails to download to two different MS Outlooks (i.e. on my desktop and on my laptop). So clearly gmail's doesn't "count" Blackberry's downloading of messages in the same way as it registers the Outlook download.

-Also my main need for a virtual keyboard is to enter info while browsing the web in landscape mode, so I won't have to rotate the screen and slide the keyboard out. That's why Landscape mode is key.
    I'm certain that you'll enjoy many aspects of the Pre over the BB. There is a great virtual keyboard, called My Home Keyboard It's great.

Web browsing is great. Camera is great. Keyboard... well, it will be okay. It's not bad, but it's okay.

Battery life.

Okay, Blackberries rule battery life. And it doesn't matter if you get an iPhone, or a Droid, or a Pre, they just eat up battery life. The good news is that there are extended batteries that you can get right from this website (and no I don't work for Precentral.) The bad news is that you should really get one. Just in case. If you were getting a Droid I'd tell you the same thing. And if you were getting an iPhone, I'd tell you to get one of those massive brick sized rechargers that my co-workers carry around with them.
  5.    #25  
    I don't mind charging once a day. I'm assuming the pre can charge via the computer's usb port?
    I don't mind charging once a day. I'm assuming the pre can charge via the computer's usb port?
    Yep.
    Hi,

My ATT contract is up & I'm considering switching to a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I currently use a Blackberry Curve 8310. My Blackberry experience has been generally good, but I'm thinking of dropping it because:
    -No touch screen
    -The web browser sucks.
    I assume that you are aware that there is supposed to be a new BB launched on AT&T this summer that addresses both your concerns. It even has a form factor similar to the Pre's (slide out keyboard in portrait orientation).
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I assume that you are aware that there is supposed to be a new BB launched on AT&T this summer that addresses both your concerns. It even has a form factor similar to the Pre's (slide out keyboard in portrait orientation).

Right but who knows if the first incarnation will be any good? Given that the Storm has largely been a flop...
    Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    I came from a BB 8330 and the only 2 things I don't like about my Pre Plus is the battery life and the keyboard. I find myself not typing as many emails from my phone because of the way the keyboard is set up. When typing it will miss letters a lot. I have become use to carrying a battery charger now in my laptop bag, and also just plugging in my phone when I am in the car. Other that those 2 items, I love the Pre Plus.
    If you do get the Pre I'd highly recommend the touchstone and a Mugen 1400 Mah battery. Put the touchstone on your nighttable, and just charge the phone when you go to bed. No messing with cables, just plop it on and forget about it. I used to think the touchstone was an expensive gimmick but now that I own one, I wouldn't go without one.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Mugen 1400 Mah battery.

Why a Mugen battery, and not some other brand like Seidio or Amzer?
  12.    #32  
    Well I've had the pre plus for two days. So far so good. The battery does indeed suck compared to the Blackberry, but the keyboard is much more tolerable than I expected.
    I'm still adjusting to it though.
    Well I've had the pre plus for two days. So far so good. The battery does indeed suck compared to the Blackberry, but the keyboard is much more tolerable than I expected.
    There are many ways to improve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    4 years with blackberry and i wouldnt go back to that browser EVER.
    I think I am a little late, but I must say that the Pre has changed everything for me. I was a long time blackberry user and I was very concerned about switching. Now I look at people with blackberrys, and shake my head.

Case in point this very week...I was traveling by car in Upstate New York. GPS directions working perfectly, running my Weather Chanel app to check the GPS enabled radar for incoming thunderstorm. Got a call from a client securing an appointment for the next day, after the call right back to my directions and weather app in real time.

I thought about what I would have done with my blackberry...It wouldn't have happened. Blackberry's just donít do that.

The keyboard is fine, I have no problems. The battery life is an adjustment. Touchstones at home, office, plus a car charger and youíre good to go.
    Welcome to the fold.

As for the battery, I am the "Power Users" - power user and I can get 9+ hours on a heavy day to 13+ hours on a light day, and that's with:

-6 email accounts syncing 24/7 (2 EAS, 2 Goog, Y!, Hosted)
    -4 Calendars (EAS & Goog)
    -Streaming audio on my 1+ hour commute both ways (Pandora\Slacker\DI.fm)
    -Web browsing (damn P|C site! lol)
    -And FB & texting when my boss isn't looking!

11 patches and stock everything else.
    I thought that the sticker showing webos 1.3 or 1.4.1.1 or whatever also adressed some build quality issues? Like the oreo, and the tactileness of the keyboard and such?

Might be something to look into...
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    with regards to bbm, there is a developer currently beta testing a soft of webos messager that would work the same way: only for webos users, chatrooms, always-on connectivity, etc.

my brother just made the switch from blackberry to webos and loves it so far. Ill update with his impressions as he gets more used to the device.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I know I'm a bit late to the 'party' (Sviatapolk already has a Pre), but, here's my $0.02 to throw into the ring.

I'm a longtime Palm user. What this means is that Calendar, Tasks, Contacts & Memos (+ some form of syncro. / synergy) is critical.

I am currently carrying a BB Tour (VZ) as well as a Pre+ (AT&T). Pretty much, since the day I got my Pre+, I've barely touched the BB. Here's a few more thoughts:

What I miss about the BB:
    -BB Keyboard is better in general, but Pre+ is still decent.
    -BB eMail interface is snappier, most of the time (see note below re: 'spinning clock') The flipside: BB strips out HTML eMails to text only, the Pre keeps the formatting intact.
    -Voice dialing (hopefully to be updated soon with the Pre)
    -Ehnanced Google Maps services (hopefully to be updated soon with the Pre)
    -Offline eMails: I dislike how the Pre tries to repeatedly send outbound eMails when in Airplane mode (or if data/WiFi are disabled). The BB queues silently until it gets online again.
    -BB Messenger.
    -Other IM options: Palm needs to hurry up and add to the list of native Messaging services (ie: MSN, Skype).

What I like better about the Pre:
    -I like that I can attach multiple photos to an eMail with the Pre (I was only ever able to do 1/eMail with the BB).
    -Outlook syncro (Chapura used for my non-ActiveSync Exchange account and Google Sync for my personal calendar) is MUCH better than the BB Desktop sync options. With BB Desktop sync, I had lots of problems & used lots of workarounds to get by. A few caveats:
    -- Chapura set me back $50.00
    -- If I'm on the road, I can't sync my outlook & Pre+ unless I have a 'routeable' WiFi connection (Chapura limitation only)
    -I really hated the BB spinning clock thing. I don't miss that -- prefer being able to multitask during a lag with a particular program.
    -I like how the Pre makes frequent 'symbol' keys easy to use ( @ and . keys) --> these are 'alt' keystrokes on the BB.
    -Unlike the BB, the Pre+ is VERY customizable & open. As described elsewhere in P|C -- the BB is like the Vatican: you do things their way and that's about it.

Overall: In my opinion, WebOS provides a whole smartphone experience. BB is essentially a great eMail device with some other stuff (phone, rudimentary browser, etc..) tacked-on.

P.S. GPS works great on my AT&T Pre+
    I just recently switched from the the blackberry 8530, so far I have had a good experience.You will def have to get used to the keyboard on the pre. it is a little cramped. I miss the the save email feature on the blackberry. i have my account linked to a gmail acct so i move the msgs to a folder but it is not as seamless as the blackberry.

Very nice features on the pre overall. i suggest you download the virtual keyboard so that you can utilize a keyboard while in landscape mode. That takes some getting used to if you strictly dealt with a real keayboard.

Battery life is not a s good as a blackberry, you will def need to have a charger everywhere. I used to miss days charging my bb. this is not an option for the pre.

Goodluck!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast