Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    So I've had a Pre since last august, and I love and respect palm and everything they've done with this phone. Form factor, OS, community, everything is great, but I'm ready to give android a shot because I love the tech-y feel of it. I can get an Evo on august 1st, but anticipation has caused me to think about ways to make that day come around sooner..

I bought the insurance plan at radio shack when I got my phone because I had heard the pre had some hardware issues. Mine has had some problems from the start. The power button doesn't work, the keyboard stops working from time to time, random crashes here and there, and the screen will turn on from lock if you just press on it :/. I've called radio shack about these things, but they've always dragged me in circles taking me from department to department and promising me a new phone or check for price of phone in the mail SEVERAL times, each time with no result. I just decided to live with it until my contract was up because I was tired of putting up with them.

Since then I've overclocked my pre, which I know voids the warranty...but does that mean I couldn't enact my insurance policy and try to get cash value for my phone back? I don't know if warranty has anything to do with the insurance plan I bought... Anything that gets an evo in my hands faster is a plus to me I just don't want to try calling them again if it's a hopeless endeavor.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    just webOS doctor your phone back to its original factory shape and you should be fine. there shouldn't be any trace of anything you did to your phone if i'm correct.
    Don't know how you would think you could get cash value for the phone anyway, the insurance just gets you a replacement.

Even easier than doctoring is just uninstalling the overclocked kernel. They are not going to do some forensic analysis on your phone.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Don't know how you would think you could get cash value for the phone anyway, the insurance just gets you a replacement.

I would think that because radio shack offered me that last time I called them. After throwing me around to different customer service reps for an hour, they finally said, "we're not currently replacing palm pre's with new or refurbished phones, so we'll send you cash value for your phone so you can buy a new one. The check will go out in the mail today. We're terribly sorry for the trouble you've been having"

It never came though :/
    Shadnic, do you have the Sprint insurance? If you do then take it to a repair center. The reason why people have had 8 replacements is because the refurbs sucked. Palm got a bad rap because Sprint was giving old phones back! Now they are giving new phones. I just had mine replaced and it is new and awesome. You can tell a new phone because it has battery pulling instructions under the back cover. Don't be dealing with Radio Shack on this issue!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.