webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Speculation Given by Palm Rep.
Speculation Given by Palm Rep.

Old 06/17/2010, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am on that AT&T developer webinar right now, and someone asked about a new Palm device. All the guy would really say was that we are going to find the next year "very exciting". Good sign
Old 06/17/2010, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hopefully the next years starts today and not January
solarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is someone recording that seminar? This is a good sign...considering that AT&T just got webOS.
Old 06/17/2010, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

"Next Year" W T F....by that time...the ones that r left would have jumped on WinMobile (wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) seriously Palm???
darkzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm thinking since its an AT&T webinar next year is for them to get the next device. not other carriers.
Old 06/17/2010, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
I'm thinking since its an AT&T webinar next year is for them to get the next device. not other carriers.
My thought exactly.
sinime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Exactly.
Old 06/17/2010, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
"Next Year" W T F....by that time...the ones that r left would have jumped on WinMobile (wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) seriously Palm???
He said the next year is going to be very exciting (in English practice, this means the WITHIN next 365 days). Not "next year will be an exciting year". You really think they know less about business sense than we do? Talk about trying to be pessimistic.
Old 06/17/2010, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
This makes more sense =)
darkzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
1) This is another overreaction to a simple statement. He did NOT say "you will have to wait a year to see something exciting".

2) You do know that the EXISTING webOS users are not the entire smartphone universe, right? There will be new users moving into smartphones and changing platforms from this day forward (until they finally plant the processors and radios directly into our brains...ha). No one would WANT to "lose" the current users. But, these are not the totallity of the users ever able to buy new devices.

3) As we have clearly seen, loyalty (by this i just mean sticking with a phone, not some grand fidelity issue; it's just a phone) survives just about 2 months past "early update time". The same users jumping off can, and will, jump back on if a great device is made available in the future.
rlee2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by cmilette, johncc, wynand32
Old 06/17/2010, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

the next year means ,within the next year . Like starting now .
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

I did my best folks, but I couldn't get everything exactly word for word. The static I'm hearing is preventing some of it. I transcribed the three interesting questions relevant to future devices and HP.

--------

Question: Are there plans to release any new devices this year?

Answer: I'm not allowed to talk about future roadmaps, especially because we're in the process of being acquired by HP, so I can't say. But yes we have a road map. We are working on future devices. And... new version of the OS. So I think, you're going to find the next year very exciting.

Q: [I can't hear this clearly on my recording.] ...on the Pre and Pixi, how will apps be handled on those devices?

A: Yes we have more devices in the works. I can't talk about form factors, but we have said that the Pixi will be the smallest screen size that we ever create in terms of pixels. For the most part, you don't need to do anything to adapt to different hardware. Same OS, with roughly the same capabilities. Just speed and memory are different. And screen sizes are different, but that's pretty easy to handle, it's no different than a desktop web application that the user can resize his browser.

Q: What about HP and homebrew, are they going to be supported going forward as Palm [I can't hear this last word!]?

A: There's not much I can say right now. But I can say that everyone at Palm is really excited to work with HP. They really get what we're trying to do. And they have a lot of resources that they're going to pour into it. So I think, once the acquisition is finalized, and you see what we're working on over the [Can't hear word!... sigh] You'll be very happy.

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
Gerorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is very, very exciting stuff. And yes, the next year will be very exciting for those who are willing to wait A WHOLE TWO MONTHS* (or less) until the HP acquisition is final. If people can make it THAT LONG, then I think they'll be glad they did.

I mean, I know it's ALL THE WAY until the end of July. But still, if you can hold out, I suggest you do so.

*All caps entirely for effect.
Old 06/17/2010, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
...and you see what we're working on over the [Can't hear word!... sigh] You'll be very happy.
Bummer! What a spot to have crappy audio: just where the speaker mentions a time frame! Ugh!

Thanks for the transcipt. That's some really interesting stuff.
ronlongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

+1
parityone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 02:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
Bummer! What a spot to have crappy audio: just where the speaker mentions a time frame! Ugh!

Thanks for the transcipt. That's some really interesting stuff.
Hopefully someone else has the entire transcript to fill in the blanks.

Quote:
the smallest screen size that we ever create in terms of pixels
Does this mean that they plan on creating a phone that has a higher pixel density, but similar screen size?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 02:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Excuse me if i'm wrong, but wasn't 2009 and 2010 supposed to be "very exciting"?
dbdoinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 02:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd View Post
Excuse me if i'm wrong, but wasn't 2009 and 2010 supposed to be "very exciting"?
Didnt you get the Pixi, Pre +, Video recording & editing, and a buyout...?
Old 06/17/2010, 02:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
Didnt you get the Pixi, Pre +, Video recording & editing, and a buyout...?
Yeah, heh heh. Wow.
dbdoinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2010, 02:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Just think about going back to 1.0.3..... *shudders*

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: BMIC50

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0