Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Does this mean that they plan on creating a phone that has a higher pixel density, but similar screen size?
    I don't think we can read anything into it except exactly what it says, length x width pixel counts will be no smaller than those of the Pixie. This implies nothing about pixel densities or physical size.
    fact of the matter is that the phone technology is always growing ever more intelligent everyday. Every cell phone maker will have new exciting ways to stay connected. So we can all be excited about that
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Bummer! What a spot to have crappy audio: just where the speaker mentions a time frame! Ugh!

Thanks for the transcipt. That's some really interesting stuff.
    I'm guessing the word we're looking for is "summer." As in, "the stuff we're working on over the summer." Would make the most sense, I think. And reminds us that nobody at HP or Palm are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for the deal to close.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I don't think we can read anything into it except exactly what it says, length x width pixel counts will be no smaller than those of the Pixie. This implies nothing about pixel densities or physical size.
    I read it as a hint for better pixel density, though I could be easily over analyzing it.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh, and if no one else can fill in the missing gaps. The video will be posted up on att's website (somewhere), next week.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Answer: But yes we have a road map.
    -They are working on different types of smartphones

We are working on future devices.
    -The next Pre is on the works

And... new version of the OS.
    -WebOS 2 will be on this new device.

So I think, you're going to find the next year very exciting.
    -There will be a new smartphone before the holidays this year.

A: Yes we have more devices in the works.
    -Different form factors will be out.

I can't talk about form factors, but we have said that the Pixi will be the smallest screen size that we ever create in terms of pixels.
    -They are working on smartphones with higher density than the Pre.

For the most part, you don't need to do anything to adapt to different hardware. Same OS, with roughly the same capabilities. Just speed and memory are different. And screen sizes are different, but that's pretty easy to handle, it's no different than a desktop web application that the user can resize his browser.
    -The new Pre will be bigger, faster, more memory and a new hardware design.

They really get what we're trying to do.
    -HP is letting Palm continue making smartphones.

And they have a lot of resources that they're going to pour into it. So I think, once the acquisition is finalized, and you see what we're working on over the [Can't hear word!... sigh] You'll be very happy.
    -HP is letting Palm use their money to enhanced WebOS with new technologies that they have available.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Excuse me if i'm wrong, but wasn't 2009 and 2010 supposed to be "very exciting"?
    Yeah, it was pretty exciting. Like a rollercoaster! (that keeps going down down down).
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think people are overreaching with the pixel density. I really think he was just referring to just screen size. My guess would be that it's more likely that they're making a phone with a larger screen than the Pre. Although I'm sure they're looking into density, now that the iphone 4 details are out, but that's definitely not as likely.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Answer: But yes we have a road map.
    -They are working on different types of smartphones

We are working on future devices.
    -The next Pre is on the works

And... new version of the OS.
    -WebOS 2 will be on this new device.

So I think, you're going to find the next year very exciting.
    -There will be a new smartphone before the holidays this year.

A: Yes we have more devices in the works.
    -Different form factors will be out.

I can't talk about form factors, but we have said that the Pixi will be the smallest screen size that we ever create in terms of pixels.
    -They are working on smartphones with higher density than the Pre.

For the most part, you don't need to do anything to adapt to different hardware. Same OS, with roughly the same capabilities. Just speed and memory are different. And screen sizes are different, but that's pretty easy to handle, it's no different than a desktop web application that the user can resize his browser.
    -The new Pre will be bigger, faster, more memory and a new hardware design.

They really get what we're trying to do.
    -HP is letting Palm continue making smartphones.

And they have a lot of resources that they're going to pour into it. So I think, once the acquisition is finalized, and you see what we're working on over the [Can't hear word!... sigh] You'll be very happy.
    -HP is letting Palm use their money to enhanced WebOS with new technologies that they have available.
    Your hired as the new information interpreter!
    Too bad I don't think those devices will be coming to Sprint. :-(

I think the divorce papers are drawn up and just need to be signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Just think about going back to 1.0.3..... *shudders*
    I would gladly go back to 1.3.5. That version was rock solid for me. 1.4.x, not so much. In the end all I am hoping for is a timely release of a long-awaited finished version of WebOS, that finally has GUI graphics acceleration enabled and stability problems solved. And most importantly I am hoping that it will run on our old devices (Pre or better). Until they have a finished version of WebOS, they need not release any new devices, because they will flop in the marketplace just like the old ones. The marketplace failure of Palm has a little to do with hardware quality, which has improved with time, and a lot to do with WebOS itself. It is a laggy, poorly written, and unstable OS, with more bugs than I can count. That is what killed Palm.
    Last edited by sputnik767; 06/17/2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

and i think you are very wrong!

You may be right, but I hope you are wrong. Since I moved to Sprint from ATT I haven't had one dropped call. I used to get a dozen dropped calls a day. Plus, I like the Sprint prices. They sure beat Verizon and ATT prices.
    If Palm and Sprint divorce, than Sprint better get some sweeeeeet Windows 7 devices.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    about pixel density... Pre2 is rumored to have an ips display (like iphone 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    I would gladly go back to 1.3.5. That version was rock solid for me. 1.4.x, not so much. In the end all I am hoping for is a timely release of a long-awaited finished version of WebOS, that finally has GUI graphics acceleration enabled and stability problems solved. And most importantly I am hoping that it will run on our old devices (Pre or better). Until they have a finished version of WebOS, they need not release any new devices, because they will flop in the marketplace just like the old ones. The marketplace failure of Palm has a little to do with hardware quality, which has improved with time, and a lot to do with WebOS itself. It is a laggy, poorly written, and unstable OS, with more bugs than I can count. That is what killed Palm.
    You've here taken a position that is pretty much the polar opposite of what the entire market has said. webOS has been universally recognized as Palm's strength (so much so that HP is buying Palm to get it), while hardware has been the popular culprit in their relative lack of success.

As far as the next version of webOS running on the Pre/Pixi, I think that's fairly guaranteed. And, with the upcoming changes, it will run quite well. Some features of new devices (e.g., compass, autofocus camera, etc.) may not be supported, but not much can be done about that.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

I very much doubt that this is the case. From HP/Palm's perspective, certainly, Sprint is no worse that Verizon, and Sprint will have the only meaningful 4G network for some time. From Sprint's perspective, they can hardly dismiss HP as they do Palm. There will be far too many compelling devices coming from a company with far too many resources for any carrier to treat Palm like the redheaded stepchild.
    Quote Originally Posted by djprelude View Post
    and i think you are very wrong!
    and i HOPE you are very right!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    and i HOPE you are very right!

lol me too! and hopefully we will find out at the end of next month
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

Doesn't make any sense, since the largest (BY FAR) installed base ready on Day One for a new device are the Sprint users...

Thats why u haven't seen the Pre/Pixi Plus on Sprint yet... they are gonna just drop the new Hardware...

What they will change is the 6 mnt Exclusivity...the Market is moving to fast... faster cycles.... 3 mnts is prob all they (Sprint) will get...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast