View Poll Results: Do you think Palm will be out of cellphone business ?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, give them time, new devices(phones+ tablets) on the way.

37 44.05%
  • Nope, they are hatching a bigger plan connecting everything from printers to phones.

27 32.14%
  • Yes, HP is slow to react, Apple and Google will crush them.

16 19.05%
  • Yes, HP will focus on other things but not cellphones.

4 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Lately I noticed a decreased interest in Palm, Pre, Pixi,WebOs all over the "regular media". Even the Precentral is gone silent lately. Canceled podcasts, no news about upcoming features, no news regarding new devices. I started to feel like Palm's days are numbered in the phone business. While folks on the Android side are introducing monster phones with beast of processors and bigger screens, Apple is upping the hardware game with its all new iPhone 4. Palm OTOH, is neither improving hardware nor tweaking software. Apart from the PDK, there is no significant additions to existing WebOS SDK. While we are happy with voice controls being supported on new SDK, Apple is providing Gyroscope support. I am not a fan of all these scientific things for common "regular" consumer, but it shows that the competition is working double hard on their platform.

Another irony is how HP is issuing ridiculous statements about WebOS being used in their printers. If printers were big business , Apple would jump in too. HP seems like lost in the next mobile computing thing. They did a good thing by buying Palm. But they are screwing it up with the whole Cloud printer thing and targeted ads on printer. The time is ripe for them to talk about a tablets/phones not printers.

I think they have a golden goose i.e. WebOS , they just need to make more eggs i.e. phones/tablets

Anyhow, what do you guys think? is Palm lost its way ? Can they comeback strong and fight the Android/ Apple.
    what can they really announce at this point but a new handset. Which will probly rollout not to long after the acquisition is complete. Plus think of it this way, is it really smart for Palm or HP to make any announcements while the New IPhone is barely being released. Last time Palm did that they shot themselves in the foot, that's one of the factors that put us here. I say expect an announcment after the aquisition
    I disagree (with the OP)... just because there is no immediate news doesn't mean nothing is happening.

With the buyout still pending it is good practice to not make any big announcements in the intermediate period. Once it is complete it will be really good for stock prices if they have a big product announcement that can appear to be a result of the combined effort even though it was under development already.

Now as to the printer thing... did you forget who you are talking about? This is HP... PRINTERS ARE THEIR LIFE. Of course they are going to talk about advances in printing.

Dude! Get a grip. Have you been to your local Staples or Office Max lately? Printers are HUGE business.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrcsbrooks2 View Post
    what can they really announce at this point but a new handset. Which will probly rollout not to long after the acquisition is complete. Plus think of it this way, is it really smart for Palm or HP to make any announcements while the New IPhone is barely being released. Last time Palm did that they shot themselves in the foot, that's one of the factors that put us here. I say expect an announcment after the aquisition
    I hope you are right. But again the moment HP beat or match Apple (which is the benchmark) Apple is already onto the next phone or tablet. Steve would come out and say "how beautiful" the new thing is. The cinema starts all over.
    If they announced a new phone before the acquisition, Palm's stock price will rise...increasing the cost of the buyout (or making current shareholders feel the HP buyout is unfair).

Wait until the finalization of the buyout before you hear new product news. BTW, remember how CES 2009 came out of nowhere...Palm knows how to announce. They just have to work on that 'delivering in a timely manner' part.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

Dude! Get a grip. Have you been to your local Staples or Office Max lately? Printers are HUGE business.
    Printers are a huge business compared to the phones ? Really ? like how many gets sold ?

I am talking about Printers Vs (Phones + computer ). The phone business is now the new computer business.

Besides check this news
    HP and Yahoo team up to deliver targeted ads... to printers -- Engadget

Who on earth is going to read on targeted adds on printer ?
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Speaking of which , Palm Pre is probably inferior phone out there in terms of specs and UI stability. The only thing going good for Pre is the elegant design of the WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Lately I noticed a decreased interest in Palm, Pre, Pixi,WebOs all over the "regular media". Even the Precentral is gone silent lately. Canceled podcasts, no news about upcoming features, no news regarding new devices. I started to feel like Palm's days are numbered in the phone business. While folks on the Android side are introducing monster phones with beast of processors and bigger screens, Apple is upping the hardware game with its all new iPhone 4. Palm OTOH, is neither improving hardware nor tweaking software. Apart from the PDK, there is no significant additions to existing WebOS SDK. While we are happy with voice controls being supported on new SDK, Apple is providing Gyroscope support. I am not a fan of all these scientific things for common "regular" consumer, but it shows that the competition is working double hard on their platform.

Another irony is how HP is issuing ridiculous statements about WebOS being used in their printers. If printers were big business , Apple would jump in too. HP seems like lost in the next mobile computing thing. They did a good thing by buying Palm. But they are screwing it up with the whole Cloud printer thing and targeted ads on printer. The time is ripe for them to talk about a tablets/phones not printers.

I think they have a golden goose i.e. WebOS , they just need to make more eggs i.e. phones/tablets

Anyhow, what do you guys think? is Palm lost its way ? Can they comeback strong and fight the Android/ Apple.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said here, but rest assured, we at least keep the forum active and lively.
    Do you think Palm will be out of cellphone business ?
    Given that HP purchased Palm and intends on selling NP/Palm phones loaded with webOS.....my answer is no.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Things that worry me the most is the brain behind the WebOS are leaving the company. UI guy left to Google and notification guy left to Apple. Problem is that when the big guy leaves the place, they usually take the best developers with them. We only hear the big name but I wonder how many good developers went with those two. WebOS is only 1.4.1.1, still need alot of work to be done before they actually roll out 2.0+.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Their flagship phone sells for a penny and there hasn't been a peep about a follow-up device of any kind. I guess it's hard to get excited about that.
    That is the reason for me to get excited , selling for a penny. They probably want to get rid of everything on stock. Then in six months introduce a new phone. December launch will go well with holiday season. Besides Apple announces their phones in June , which is six months away. Palm can get some limelight during that time. I am not worried about Android. Android is doing what Windows did to Mac back in the day. You keep seeing android phones from one and every manufacture. Me thinks Android will eat into Apple's lunch gradually. They are building loyal customers who would have bought iPhone in a snap.
    Actually the interest has kind of reignited in Canada... thanks to its low price. Lots of reports that it's actually starting to sell and quite a few people jumped and pick one up.

[Elect] BELL: Palm Pre $0 (3yr) @ $35/mth *OR* Unlimited Mobile Browser for $15! - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

There is an old saying, "The silence before the storm". I believe there will be a lot of news after the buyout and by CES next year.
    Imo..palm will not change their hardware...just like apple...same hardware...upgraded software...i left palm for evo...i am not a fan of android and now see the flaws...but at the same time i dont miss palm being so dam ignorant and not fixing some of the most basic functions!! Truth be told, it was HP ceo comments that pushed me over the edge. Would love to see webos on some decent hardware....it would be very competitive....i just dont see this happening with the management team in place(those who are left)...there seems to be no direction or commitment to being competitive...they seem content with what they have and being where they are in the pda market
    Last edited by Wendellp; 06/17/2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Printers are a huge business compared to the phones ? Really ? like how many gets sold ?

I am talking about Printers Vs (Phones + computer ). The phone business is now the new computer business.

Besides check this news
    HP and Yahoo team up to deliver targeted ads... to printers -- Engadget

Who on earth is going to read on targeted adds on printer ?
    Where do you think HP got all of their money... Printers are their bread and butter. Smartphones however for them so far have been the not so golden eggs, since they have been held hostage on OS licensing.

Something else to note for the OP.... Golden Geese are of little use, they just look pretty. It's the standard goose that lays Golden Eggs which is valuable. HP is trying to become that goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    Imo..palm will not change their hardware...just like apple...same hardware...upgraded software...i left palm for evo...i am not a fan of android and now see the flaws...but at the same time i dont miss palm being so dam ignorant and not fixing some of the most basic functions!! Truth be told, it was HP ceo comments that pushed me over the edge. Would love to see webos on some decent hardware....it would be very competitive....i just dont see this happening with the management team in place(those who are left)...there seems to be no direction or commitment to being competitive...they seem content with what they have and being where they are in the pda market
    But didnt they already change their hardware? Not only do they have two form-factors, but the increased the RAM and storage with the Pre+. Like it or not, but that is hardware.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    But didnt they already change their hardware? Not only do they have two form-factors, but the increased the RAM and storage with the Pre+. Like it or not, but that is hardware.
    Your correct....it most likely will have a new cpu..memory...hell maybe a sd card slot...i mean hardware like HTC puts out...and not where they make Hyundai...better build quality period.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Where do you think HP got all of their money... Printers are their bread and butter. Smartphones however for them so far have been the not so golden eggs, since they have been held hostage on OS licensing.

Something else to note for the OP.... Golden Geese are of little use, they just look pretty. It's the standard goose that lays Golden Eggs which is valuable. HP is trying to become that goose.

Here is the summary of the latest earning form both.
    Apple made a profit of 3 billion from 13 billion sales
    HP made a profit of 2 billion from 30 billion sales.

You are correct on the Printing business helping HP.

But the margins are no way near the Apple (12 % Vs 23 %). Besides Printing is includes corporate + consumers.

UPDATE 4-Hewlett-Packard beats Street view, raises outlook | Reuters

* Q2 revenue $30.8 billion vs Street view $29.8 billion

HP reported on Tuesday an 8 percent jump in fiscal second-quarter revenue from its printing division, double the growth in the first quarter. The division accounts for about one-fifth of HP's revenue but a third of operating profit.

HP reported a net profit of $2.2 billion, or 91 cents a share, in the fiscal second quarter ended April 30, up from $1.7 billion, or 71 cents a share, a year ago.

Apple Reports Second Quarter Results

Not to go back and forth, but in coming year we will know that Apple is making a nice 2-4 billion extra revenue on Tablets per quarter. They sold a million of those in like two weeks.

I am not arguing about printer business not making money, I am saying the future of the mobile business (which includes the Tablet) will make more money than the printing. Besides folks buy phones and tablets more than they buy printers.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    They did , but not to the look and feel. They need a glass screen that is atleast 3.5 inch to begin with. And BTW the keyboard should be replaced. Moto is talking abouta 2Gig Hz phone with 4.4 inch screen , and here we are stuck with a plastic piece that has a wobbly slider.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast