View Poll Results: Do you think Palm will be out of cellphone business ?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, give them time, new devices(phones+ tablets) on the way.

37 44.05%
  • Nope, they are hatching a bigger plan connecting everything from printers to phones.

27 32.14%
  • Yes, HP is slow to react, Apple and Google will crush them.

16 19.05%
  • Yes, HP will focus on other things but not cellphones.

4 4.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The first two poll answers are not mutually exclusive. I could vote for either one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Here is the summary of the latest earning form both.
    Apple made a profit of 3 billion from 13 billion sales
    HP made a profit of 2 billion from 30 billion sales.

You are correct on the Printing business helping HP.

But the margins are no way near the Apple (12 % Vs 23 %). Besides Printing is includes corporate + consumers.

UPDATE 4-Hewlett-Packard beats Street view, raises outlook | Reuters

* Q2 revenue $30.8 billion vs Street view $29.8 billion

HP reported on Tuesday an 8 percent jump in fiscal second-quarter revenue from its printing division, double the growth in the first quarter. The division accounts for about one-fifth of HP's revenue but a third of operating profit.

HP reported a net profit of $2.2 billion, or 91 cents a share, in the fiscal second quarter ended April 30, up from $1.7 billion, or 71 cents a share, a year ago.

Apple Reports Second Quarter Results

Not to go back and forth, but in coming year we will know that Apple is making a nice 2-4 billion extra revenue on Tablets per quarter. They sold a million of those in like two weeks.

I am not arguing about printer business not making money, I am saying the future of the mobile business (which includes the Tablet) will make more money than the printing. Besides folks buy phones and tablets more than they buy printers.
    think about this....

HP has there hands in many cookie jars... medical equipment included..they are a true Global Citizen

HP's PC division has MANY others in competition with them so mark up is not huge. They have to compete with ever other pc manufacturer out there.

Apple has NO ONE to compete with that sells OSX systems and their systems tend to cost more. They have a Apple fan base that is willing to buy anything they put out. Apple has itunes which is almost pure profit. Hardware Dev's pay Apple to make devices for ipod's and iphones.

many other thing also
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    They did , but not to the look and feel. They need a glass screen that is atleast 3.5 inch to begin with. And BTW the keyboard should be replaced. Moto is talking abouta 2Gig Hz phone with 4.4 inch screen , and here we are stuck with a plastic piece that has a wobbly slider.
    I'm nitpicking here, but a change is a change. They got rid of the silver button

I am not justifying the incrimental changes that they have made, but I am also debunking the claims that Palm has not made hardware improvements. Apple has gotten away with it until recently, and HTC hasnt really changed the game until the Nexus One and EVO. Honestly, I dont care if the look and feel arent changed. I want the quality and user experience to improve. Of course, I wouldnt shun a 3.7" screen with a portrait sliding keyboard...
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    The first two poll answers are not mutually exclusive. I could vote for either one.
    I will change it, what I mean is
    First option is "Only phones+tablets".
    Second is "Everything from Printers to Phones"
    I am not arguing about printer business not making money, I am saying the future of the mobile business (which includes the Tablet) will make more money than the printing. Besides folks buy phones and tablets more than they buy printers.
    Fine.... but first you have to have viable competitor products for the iPad/iPhone 4 if you want to blow that horn and the acquisition of Palm isn't done and they can't really do anything with WebOS and tablets/pads/smartphones until then.

Second "folks" may buy phones every 6 to 24 months based on use and finances available to them but "COMPANIES" Spend millions on HP printing solutions. So in order to develop the golden egg laying goose they need to keep the profit rolling in from the printing business.

Lastly, whether phones and tablets outpace corporate printing over the long haul in profitability is yet to be seen. When the martket in the tech world gets competitive profit margins drop dramatically. Back in the early 90's I could custom build a 486 66MHz machine with 8MB of Ram and a 500MB HDD for under $600 with monitor/keyboard/mouse and sell it for $2k all day long. But when the competition got serious the profit margin went away. I could buy a pre-built white box for less than I could build one myself. The same will apply if anyone ever really steps up and competes on the same level as Apple in this industry.

The bottom line is that HP has a plenty big bankroll from what they have traditionally done best. They don't need to outdo Apple right away to continue to be successful or profitable.
    I will change it, what I mean is
    First option is "Only phones+tablets".
    Second is "Everything from Printers to Phones"
    Oops. Then I want my vote changed.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post

Second "folks" may buy phones every 6 to 24 months based on use and finances available to them but "COMPANIES" Spend millions on HP printing solutions. So in order to develop the golden egg laying goose they need to keep the profit rolling in from the printing business.
    I agree with you , developing a golden egg laying goose is a good idea. It will be a killer one , which forces competition to re think. Imagine printing from your Pc/Phone/ Tablet .
    They should get in the mobile game too. A Tablet is a must.
    I agree with you , developing a golden egg laying goose is a good idea. It will be a killer one , which forces competition to re think. Imagine printing from your Pc/Phone/ Tablet .
    They should get in the mobile game too. A Tablet is a must.
    AGREED!!!

And I think they will, it'll just take some time.
    I voted #1 - and I hope that's what we see eventually.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Palm can't release anything right now. They are in the middle of an acquistion. They can't anything they planned unless it's exactly what HP wants, because they don't want to mess up the deal. That can't let HP take over yet, because they don't own it yet. We are going to be in phone purgatory until the deal is closed.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Palm can't release anything right now. They are in the middle of an acquistion. They can't anything they planned unless it's exactly what HP wants, because they don't want to mess up the deal. That can't let HP take over yet, because they don't own it yet. We are going to be in phone purgatory until the deal is closed.
    Wow, the timing of the thread and your post couldn't be better. Precentral has a post about new devices !!!.

I am hoping they release something by December. I remember Jon Ruby talking about "working fast and furious on new devices" back in March. My guess is they are ready with the prototype device. The final testing and manufacturing will take six months. If HP is clever they throw more money at both the device and marketing.
    Wow, the timing of the thread and your post couldn't be better. Precentral has a post about new devices !!!.

I am hoping they release something by December. I remember Jon Ruby talking about "working fast and furious on new devices" back in March. My guess is they are ready with the prototype device. The final testing and manufacturing will take six months. If HP is clever they throw more money at both the device and marketing.
    I'm almost positive we'll see something at least announced by December, and released shortly after they announce it.

My suspicion is that Palm will announce a new device (or devices) when they announce the HP deal is closed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12