1.    #1  
    Seems that people have either forgotten or given up on ever getting GPS to work on the Verizon Pre Plus.
    We are just hoping it will get fix on future OS upgrade. I don't think we gave up on this yet.
    Verizon just said they were "working on a fix" so it would shut us up for a while...
    is it really that bad? I found it works ok for me if I just open VZ nav after having google maps open. I know I shouldn't have to, but it's not unusable....
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    is it really that bad? I found it works ok for me if I just open VZ nav after having google maps open. I know I shouldn't have to, but it's not unusable....
    It's a good think you have a Pre + with all of that extra RAM..
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    It's a real problem, regardless of whether the VZ Navigator fix works (it does), because so many apps need (or function better with) live GPS. It's annoying to have to remember to open VZ Navigator, and to have to slide past its card each time. The situation is puts the lie to VZW's own advertisements, which say (correctly) that the Pre Plus has GPS, without making any reference to VZ Navigator being necessary. Which it shouldn't be.

I've been escalating this with VZW corporate; I'll try to keep the community informed when (or if) I hear anything further. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I haven't forgotten, and I certainly haven't given up. Mind you the VZ Navigator trick doesn't work for me, and even the homebrew patch wasn't much better. It is certainly frustrating to try to use the GPS function, especially when you are in a city that you don't know very well, to get to where you are going. It is sometimes very close, and sometimes humorously off.

However, I am a Palm faithful, a Palm believer, and I look forward to the next update, which will hopefully bring us the navigational salvation we are all looking for.

Just because we stopped kvetching about it doesn't mean we gave up. We just pushed it to our own respective back burners and got on with our lives. Its still a kick *** phone with a kick *** OS.
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > Palm Zire 71 > Palm Treo 700P > Palm Pre Plus (and loving the heck out of it!!!)
    I haven't had any issues using Google Maps driving directions at all and I've used it at least 5 times between Waldorf, MD and Annapolis, MD. I've only seen about a 100 ft difference when getting location while sitting still. Had my Pre+ since 4/11/10 and voted that the 1.4.1 software didn't effect me and GPS has always worked. I never have and never will use VZNav either.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    .....gps works fine when you enable autonomous mode thru the QPST hack.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    I have been on the phone with Verizon for over half an hour. Tech support does not see any internal documentation that there is a GPS problem with the Pre plus, BUT can see plenty of documented issues in their forums.

They will be calling me back later.

The heat is......on.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    They didn't 'win' with me. I returned the darn thing (within my 30 day service trial period) and moved my service to another provider.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    what are you talking about?
    I think at this point it's really pointless to spend anymore time trying to troubleshoot an issue that is clearly a deeply seeded bug in the Pre Plus.

I'm sure both Verizon & Palm are aware of this problem. It's just like how they kept quiet about the keyboard problem and issued a fix.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I hope that they do fix the issue, because I have been living on the university of florida campus in gainsville.The only problem with that my phone,body,soul,house,and places of interest to me are in panama city. That wouldn't be to bad if Gainville wasn't 300 miles away.This was with and without the agps patch. Did I ever mention I miss sprint?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    Why should I have to hack my OWN phone to make it do something it's advertised to do?
    I fought the law and the law won...
    Mine does not work with google maps at all. Trapster doesn't load either. I hope VZ/Palm get it fixed quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by FozzyBear View Post
    Mine does not work with google maps at all. Trapster doesn't load either. I hope VZ/Palm get it fixed quick.
    It's a little too late for quick.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    keeping Google Services enabled allows all location-based apps to work.

Turning off Google Services and opening VZW Nav without paying for it allows Google Maps to work properly.

It's mildly inconvenient, but works just fine until they release a fix.