Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    so compcache kernel is great, but since govnah was updated for it my batter sucks. Thought I was imagining it so I did a test. Pulled it off the charger at 6am. Didn't touch the phone AT ALL. Not even to check the time. It is now about 8:20am and I have 72% and this post is the only thing I've used the phone for. Am I alone here?
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    No, you are not alone. I too have noticed significant battery drain since installing this patch.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    no good. I love how my pre is running though. I may be wrong but I didn't notice the battery drain until after govnah was updated yesterday. Hopefully the guys will have it worked out ina jiff. Thanks god for having usbs everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    no good. I love how my pre is running though. I may be wrong but I didn't notice the battery drain until after govnah was updated yesterday. Hopefully the guys will have it worked out ina jiff. Thanks god for having usbs everywhere

You are of course using the testing feed for those updates. You could always go back to the public release of UberKernel and Govnah if that worked the way you liked with battery life, although you would lose the compcache feature. You won't notice performance issue unless you are dealing with TMC.
    I believe it is due to the overwhelming amount of memory f104 takes up after using many cards or many games cards at a time.

BUT, I don't have clarification on the actual compcache thread yet. But, it seems obvious to me that this is a major problem on that kernel since like i stated there... I was completely unpatched except for the kernel being on f104. check out the main thread page 36 and follow if they reply to my issue there. Maybe we will have a fix soon. But as pastorrich1 stated, you are using testing feeds and of course issues are expected.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I know its a beta and I'm ok with that. Was just seeing if anyone else had the battery life change on them after updating govnah. Thought it might have been a settings issue or something like that. As always I appreciate the devs work and I'll just keep a charger around until the next update. Don't think its has anything to do with open apps as my test was done with nothing open and the screen off.
    someone told me the cpu scaling app works with the f102 kernal, why not uninstall govnah and try that see if it helps?
    It would be really nice if a mod could add something like "Test Feed ver." to the title of this thread, or an indicator to that effect - otherwise it could scare off some potential users of the version available in Preware for those that haven't/won't add the testing feed.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    There is no version of the compcache kernal in preware.
    I have uber and use conservative,,after update I notice better battery. Twice now today I was using phone with a full charge and twice I noticed after using phone where I know I would be in the 80's (percent),i was still in the 90's. After first time I thought it was fluke. ,,,but what the hell do I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    There is no version of the compcache kernal in preware.
    No, but the fact that there is a version of Uberkernel and Govnah (w/o compcache) in Preware and there is a version of Uberkernel and Govnah(w/ compcache) in the test feed could result in people not being sure which version is being discussed and make decisions to use or not use or configuration based on bad information, would merit the title being modified for clarity.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    YMMV, but my personal experience has been that after any major install, OS update, or kernel installation, my battery life sucks for a couple of days. After that, things start to 'even out' and I'm back where I started in terms of battery life. I don't know why this would happen, but it's happened consistently enough I personally believe there's something to it. I would recommend waiting a few days with your new kernel before uninstalling it.
    I can say the opposite for me,when it comes to compcache and batt consumption. Right now I'm using compcache f102 and my batt seems to have more charge in it than before. I have 100% since last night @ 12am,wake up this morning with 89% @ 7am,been using the phone on and off now it's 2:01 and still have 55% batt power. Loving it right now,but at some point I'll test uber-kernel + compcache and submit my result concerning batt consumption.
    I don't notice any more battery drain since using the f104 kernel. I've been using it the last 7 hours today moderately and its at 70%.
    Last edited by short bus; 06/17/2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
    @ short bus-
    I've been using the compcache kernel since I found out about it. No severe battery drained. Ajk511 don't be too quick to identify the batt drain is cause by uber-kernel +compcache.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    @ short bus-
    I've been using the compcache kernel since I found out about it. No severe battery drained. Ajk511 don't be too quick to identify the batt drain is cause by uber-kernel +compcache.
    uber-kernel is not installed. just compcache kernel and govnah. With mine there wasn't an increase in battery drain until AFTER the update for Govnuh to allow it to handle the compcache memory management. Uninstalled govnah and did a battery pull and the battery drain slowed back to normall. Waiting for my phone to get to a full charge then I'm going to uninstall compcache, reinstall it and then reinstall govnah and see what happens. Since there are a few people who posted in this thread with the same set up as me and no battery drain I'm gonna guess there was just an error when the govnah app got updated. I think I actually had govnah open and running when I updated it in preware, maybe that had something to do with it. I'll post up in a bit after its all reinstalled and it has some time to sit. Doing all my testing with no apps open and the phone being idle.
    Pre
    ppcgeeks.com ---- ajk511
    I have compcache and govnah, and coming from uberkernel, I'm noticing vastly *improved* battery life. with 500/800 screenstate, I get an average of about 3% an hour with occasional app usage and texting off and on throughout the day. With uberkernel, it was closer to 5%
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Upgrade to 0.4.6 of Govnah. I had the same issue until the update.

Ron