Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just recently left the Android camp. I was sick and tired of my trackball moving the screen by itself. I like the Android OS but it always felt unfinished in my opinion(everyone knows what opinions are like).

What I like about WebOS is the multitasking is a way lot better than Android. I have a Pre Plus so the gesture area is better than the touch sensitive buttons of the Droid Eris I had. I like HTC Sense UI on Android because it make Android usable. I know the hardware between the phones are similar but the fit and finish of the Pre is better, no trackball problem. I have a T-Mobile G1 and never had a problem with the trackball. I am still getting use to the keyboard of the Pre. I like the choice of software keyboards that Android has though. I just hope there is new hardware coming out soon with an integrated software keyboard (Swype maybe).

I know I could've got the bigger and better Android phones on Verizon but wanted to support a company I wish did the right things in the past. Here is hoping to a better future to HP/Palm.
    Welcome! Are you a previous Pre owner?
    welcome...its good to see newer converts...are you on at&t or verizon?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I am on Verizon. I have been reading these forums on and off for the past few months. I really 'investigate' stuff I want to get.

I was a Palm OS guy before smartphones became popular. That is the reason I love Palm also.
    welcome to the wonderful world of precentral.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    You will like your Pre. I bought an iPad but wish it had webOS on it.
    You can always install the patch "on screen virtual keyboard". You can install it from WebOSQuick Install or install preware on your phone. I highly recommend installing preware, you will find alot more, patches to make the pre alot better. Goto webos-internals_org , then search virtual keyboard.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Welcome!

I was new Pre Plus customer on Verizon, and I decided to give it the 30 day trial to "feel it out" and see if I would return it or not. Then the news came about Palm being bought out and it not succeeding as an independent company, which didn't make me feel confident in my purchase. But I was already hooked on WebOS and how smooth and elegant it is! Those 30 days came and went and I haven't looked back since.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I'm like you.. I went into Verizon expecting to get a Droid Eris.. but several of my friends have the Pre and once I tried it, I was hooked. WebOS just seemed so "put together". Now, i'm amazed daily by what this little phone will do.
    Welcome to the board! (I'm fairly new here too)
    Welcome to the world of webOS! Enjoy your new phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I started with the Pre and then went to the Hero and now I have both trying to decide which one to make my main phone.

What I love about the Pre is the interface. It was well thought out, intuitive, and unobtrusive. WebOS looks like it might have been designed by the Apple team and just works and works well. It is the best iOS competitor out there. Android and WinMo don't even come close to competing with iOS in usability and simplicity, and elegance.

What I don't like about the Pre is the limited number of apps. I'm not an app hog and believe that a smaller core of USEFUL apps is a lot better than 1000s of apps that have negligible use. I also don't like the hobbled SDK that doesn't allow for certain apps to be created. There are a few apps that I truly miss that are available on the iPhone and Android that are not available on WebOS due to the hobbled SDK. I miss Shazam and use it all the time when I'm driving. It's great to be able to tag a song you hear on the radio and then purchase it directly from the app via AmazonMP3. I miss not being able to record a phone call easily as there are tons of those apps on both the iPhone and Android, and I miss voice control. Android is superior in this area as you can pretty much voice an email, text, url, and even command the phone and the voice recognition is the best I've seen on any device including a desktop.

What I hate about the Android interface is that it's not intuitive at all. There are a lot of extra little button pushes that are required to get anything done. On the Hero I have Sense and it is much better than vanilla Android, but I still have to constantly hit the menu button to bring up frequently used options. For example, to refresh email, you have to hit the menu button and then hit the refresh. On the main screen you can sort your email and switch accounts (no all-in-one inbox on Android), but not refresh the mail. I refresh more than I switch accounts and that should be able to be done without hitting an extra button. This isn't the only example, but it's a clear one. I probably hit the menu button more than any other button on the phone because the frequently-used features of any app are hidden in the stupid menu screen.

I love widgets. I don't need tons, but I like looking at my home screen and seeing some important info in a quick snapshot. I can see the weather, the time, and my appointments all on one screen and without doing anything on the phone other than unlocking it.

I like that to customize the Pre, I don't have to root and can do it easily with Preware. I hate with the Android it has to be rooted and many times requires a complete wipe of your system.

I still haven't made my choice yet and what's truly holding me back is the shazam app and Google Navigation (this app rocks and can be completely voice controlled. It blows away the default Sprint Nav app).

So for now, I'm carrying around two phones. I'll give it another week or two and see if I can live without those other two apps and move 100% to the Pre.
    welcome aboard,the more the merrier.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Welcome! This forum is one the best reasons to have a Pre! I've learned so much from the community here.
    Welcome!...You're in the right place PreCentral will help maximize your pre experience!