Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    So, I know that the notorious USB crake has been in several forums before. I just got my crack 3 days ago. Palm claims they know nothing about this being a known problem. One tech told me "its caused by pushing the USB cable in to hard". They have to be joking. Looking at the port with a Dr.'s light, its clear as day! The USB port isn't even connected to the cracked plastic. In fact the plastic stopper for the screen slide is the cause. Behind the plastic where the cracks occur it where the stopper hits the slides end. (this is to prevent the screen from sliding any further) So, every time we slide the screen open. The plastic its smacked and put under pressure. Then.....the notorious cracks begin! Palm techs wouldn't even comment on that fact. Said "$199." they would repair it. So when I said with the cast of the phone and the repair, I'd be out $900. He said "yup". This Pre didn't last 1 year, but apparently that isn't a factor. It starts the day I got my first Pre, not my brand new replacement! They has to be something that can be done here. This is not the way to keep/treat costumers. I have never had one bad thing to say about Palm...ever. I love my Pre, best operating system ever invented! But, this ****es me off! And I don't believe I'm alone here. If anyone knows of a way to stop the crack before it reaches my screen, please tell and thank you!
    I got the famed USB crack on mine about 8 months into the warranty. The Sprint store told me to talk to Assurion even before they looked at the phone, then wouldn't help me. I called Sprint while upset and spoke to a tech there. I told him that I am very anal with my electronics and have a screen protector on it which even adds more strength. I told him the device was less than a year old and he immediately said that it would be covered by Palm's warranty. He wrote a ticket number for it which he gave to me to give to the Sprint store. I called the Sprint store and spoke directly to the store manager telling him how upset I was with the service treatment I received and that Palm confirmed this would be covered. He had me come in right away and gave me a swap for a brand new device (better build than my old one).

I believe it may be that you simply got the wrong Palm rep when you called in (some are better than others in any company). Try calling them again... and if your device is still less than a year old, simply tell them that you shouldn't have to pay $100 to fix an issue that should be covered under warranty. Palm is a great company, but every once in a while it really depends upon who you talk to in order to get things done.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Spoke with 3 techs on 2 different days. All said the same. My next stop will be Sprint, to see if they can help. They were great with past replacements. I had the same issue though. This Pre was a brand new replacement and better then my first. So I'm scared to part with it. They may try to hand me a refurb and someone elses head ache! Thanks for your response!
    Sorry to hear that. I would definitely go right to the Store manager if the sales person doesn't help. Good luck and keep us posted!
    I had the crack on one of my previous Pre's, I personally think it is from the pressure of opening the little door thing. It fits tight and the place it is attached is where the cracks all start. I have four touchstones now so I only open the USB door when I connect to the computer for something and when I do open it, I do it VERY carefully. 5 months on this Pre and no crack.
    If you call Sprint, don't settle for the line staff that answer the phone call, make sure you ask for "Customer Retention" (or something close to that). Somewhat indirectly (then directly if necessary) imply that you are close to leaving Sprint. If necessary, get a supervisor on the phone there, too. I've had lots of success over the years that way; be patient but firm etc.

Good luck!
    also, trying going to a sprint repair center. if one says no, go to a different one. the USB crack is caused by some sort of stress, because mine just appeared out of the blue one day. i had a touchstone back since launch day and rarely ever use the USB port when it started cracking. i took mine to a sprint repair center and they got me another one w/o any questions.
    I used the usb door all the time before I got the Touchstone a month ago and I still use it to transfer files....haven't had a crack yet. Had the first Pre for seven months, have had the second Pre for going on three. Maybe it's in how you open it. I use my fingernail...slides right off.

Also, hbz said on here that the refurb Pre's have their own warranty that lasts for 60 days, I believe. They don't come with the 1 year warranty.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I went to Sprint today. They said they can't do anything until Palm acknolodges that it is a problem. That if the crack gets worse and reaches the screen, then my $100. Deductable maybe in order. I also was one of those people who believed that it must be caused by the user's. I now believe differently. I baby my Pre. Constant cleaning and a weekly spit shine. This crack appeared out of no where! My hope is that the crack stays where it is. This is the best Pre I've owned. Not a thing wrong with it (until now). How many of you who have had the "notorious USB crack" had it reach the screen? And of those who have, how long did it take to occur? Thanks everyone for your replys and support!
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    There is a 1 year manufactor warrenty from Palm. And a 90 day warrenty for out of warrant replacements. Problem is this Pre is brand new. Given to me as a replacement on 07/23/09. But, Palm states that this Pre is covered under my first Pre's warrant which was bought on 06/06/09. "A day late and a dollar short" I guess!
    I don't understand why your Sprint store is giving you such a hard time. I've gotten multiple replacements where sometimes the technician barely even looks at the phone.

As far as I know, Sprint only replaces devices that have a function defect, not cosmetic. If you want to replace the phone only because of the cosmetic crack, then you will have to pay the $100 deductible.

It is clear after reading these forums for over a year that this crack is definitely a hardware defect when it was designed. Either the plastic in that area is weak when built, or the stress is too much. Combined with the USB door, it makes the area prone to cracking just like the center button on the original Pre.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I don't understand why your Sprint store is giving you such a hard time. I've gotten multiple replacements where sometimes the technician barely even looks at the phone.

As far as I know, Sprint only replaces devices that have a function defect, not cosmetic. If you want to replace the phone only because of the cosmetic crack, then you will have to pay the $100 deductible.

It is clear after reading these forums for over a year that this crack is definitely a hardware defect when it was designed. Either the plastic in that area is weak when built, or the stress is too much. Combined with the USB door, it makes the area prone to cracking just like the center button on the original Pre.
    You are correct! I have never had a problem getting replacements from Sprint before. Palm is were the problem lies. Palm says its not a developer defect, there for Sprint won't replace it. I think by what Sprint techs said "maybe if you wait, Palm will start acknolodging the problem" Sprint knows this is an issue, but their hands are tied. I really don't won't to replace my Pre at all right now. You can hardly see the crack and it works perfect. (unlike the last 3 or 4 I had). My fear is the crack will continue to get worse and reach my screen. I wanted to cover my bases before this occurred! And to see if I still had a warranty to play with. Which Palm says I don't. So I hope it stays as is and I make it to the next Palm WebOS device!
    I have the dreaded crack too. Started a couple of weeks ago. I too am hoping that it doesn't progress to the screen, but it's hard to say whether it will or not.

Has anyone tried applying a drop of epoxy or super glue? I bet that would halt the progression, if there is any.
    I ran into much the same problem today. I noticed the crack last night. Called Sprint though, before Palm, and got the "it's not a known issue, you'll need to pay the $100". I said I'd cancel my 8+ year account before I paid a deductible for a design flaw. They switched me to retentions. Retentions said I would not need to pay, and they would note my account. I called the store near my house ahead of time, and they said there was no such notation, and I'd have to pay the $100 since it was "damage". I insisted it was not damaged, it was a defect. Finally spoke to the manager, and he said they would need to look at it, and make a determination when I got there.

Then I decided to go to the store near where I work at lunch time, instead of waiting until I got off work. I explained it to the tech, he looked at the crack, and gave me a replacement.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I ran into much the same problem today. I noticed the crack last night. Called Sprint though, before Palm, and got the "it's not a known issue, you'll need to pay the $100". I said I'd cancel my 8+ year account before I paid a deductible for a design flaw. They switched me to retentions. Retentions said I would not need to pay, and they would note my account. I called the store near my house ahead of time, and they said there was no such notation, and I'd have to pay the $100 since it was "damage". I insisted it was not damaged, it was a defect. Finally spoke to the manager, and he said they would need to look at it, and make a determination when I got there.

Then I decided to go to the store near where I work at lunch time, instead of waiting until I got off work. I explained it to the tech, he looked at the crack, and gave me a replacement.
    You're lucky. My tech said until Palm acknowledges it an issue, they can't help. What did the tech say to you about the crack?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I don't see a crack in my Pre, but the USB port seemed associated with the touch screen dying. Now I can't get any input out of the touchscreen. And, it won't turn off. Just suicides itself down to out of battery charge.

But Sprint didn't give me any problems. New phone arrived about 48 hours from phone call. Unfortunately I was already gone on vacation, so I am phoneless till next week, now.

Kind of disappointed that less than a year old and already failing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    You're lucky. My tech said until Palm acknowledges it an issue, they can't help. What did the tech say to you about the crack?
    Well you in new york i am sure every one tries to get free phones out of them so i am sure that's part of your prob. I have a bran new pre about a week old the USB door thing fell off i went to get a new one and he looked at it and just gave me a brand new pre lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    Almost as soon as I started telling the story, he smiled a little, and said "no problem". He did say he needed to talk to the manager, and as he started to leave, I said "you can tell this hasn't been dropped or mistreated in any way, it's pretty much pristine". He said "yep, I see that". I suspect that has something to do with it.

I also think it's very dependent on the tech you take it to.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Almost as soon as I started telling the story, he smiled a little, and said "no problem". He did say he needed to talk to the manager, and as he started to leave, I said "you can tell this hasn't been dropped or mistreated in any way, it's pretty much pristine". He said "yep, I see that". I suspect that has something to do with it.

I also think it's very dependent on the tech you take it to.
    Yeah, they looked at mine and said it looked brand new. "You obviously take care of this, and it hasn't been dropped" they still won't replace it!
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    This is my theory. I have delt with this Sprint store for years. For the past year they have never given me a problem with replacing my Pre. By what was said to me and the reactions of the staff. This crack issue has been addressed in the past. They are a large and busy store. Though they never said "they" know of the issue. It was evident they did. So they probably have replaced Pres with this USB crack before. Then Palm wouldn't reimburse the money for said replacements. Make the Sprint store bite the bullet for the loss. Now they won't replace Pres with said cracks until Palm acknowlogdes the issue and forks over replacement/cost to the carriers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast