1.    #1  
    I will be leaving for Switzerland and Italy in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if I will be able to use my Pre, particularly my camera, alarm clock and facebook apps. Any advice appreciated. I have Sprint service.
    camera and alarm will work fine.

you will need wifi for facebook.
    I was in Dublin and London last week and I was able to use my alarm clock, camera, and use wifi for facebook. Remember to take a converter for the difference in voltage and another one for the three prong outlet used in most European countries otherwise, a charger kit will cost you 30 Euros as I found out!!!
    make sure to put airplane mode on and then turn on wifi
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    make sure to put airplane mode on and then turn on wifi
    I understand why wifi should be turned on. Please explain why airplane mode must also be on.
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    I understand why wifi should be turned on. Please explain why airplane mode must also be on.
    unless u want your phone to be constantly be searching for a cdma tower (which im guessing u have a sprint pre) then your battery will die in a heart beat. turning on airplane mode will turn off all radios unless right after then u turn on wifi then only wifi is on
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by EllenPE View Post
    I will be leaving for Switzerland and Italy in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if I will be able to use my Pre, particularly my camera, alarm clock and facebook apps. Any advice appreciated. I have Sprint service.
    I am going to Austria next week and am bummed that our Pre's won't work on the GSM service over there.

But I will of course be using wifi, I just got my google voice account today so I hope to have access to voice mail, and if I go ahead and get a google voice number I will have SMS via the google voice web site. (if it works over there since it is only available in the U.S.).

My camera, email and alarm will be a must and thanks to activedodger for the reminder on the converter... I would have forgotten for sure.
    Warning: I was in Germany last week and for some reason (maybe low battery?) my phone wanted to reset itself and log in to my profile. Of course there was no access to Palm to log in to my profile, so the phone was useless the entire trip. Worked fine when I got back.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Warning: I was in Germany last week and for some reason (maybe low battery?) my phone wanted to reset itself and log in to my profile. Of course there was no access to Palm to log in to my profile, so the phone was useless the entire trip. Worked fine when I got back.
    Did you have it in airplane mode when this happened? Were you attempting to install or update something from the App Catalog?

The only time I have had this happen was the Saturday that the App Catalog was down... and it happened to me twice. Very frustrating and time consuming.

But since I am going to Austria next week I want to know if possible what all was taking place. I don't want to go through that again.
    The power supply on the Sprint Palm Pre is universal, so you won't need a voltage converter, only a physical plug converter.
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Did you have it in airplane mode when this happened? Were you attempting to install or update something from the App Catalog?

The only time I have had this happen was the Saturday that the App Catalog was down... and it happened to me twice. Very frustrating and time consuming.

But since I am going to Austria next week I want to know if possible what all was taking place. I don't want to go through that again.
    It was in airplane mode. I was using wifi in the hotel. The battery was very low; I had trouble charging it. My US charger with a converter did not work and I bought a German charger which also did not work. Ultimately I could only charge using the netbook (which fortunately I brought.) Was not trying to access the catalog.
    Laissez Faire