1.    #1  
    So, Pre number 10 is here and I have two odd complaints...

1) When I took it out of the box and held it, at the same time I was holding Pre number 9, I got the strange feeling that it felt lighter and cheaper. Very odd. It wasn't the slider action, which was certainly different. It was the overall feel of the device. I'm probably just paranoid, but I swear it was immediately noticeable and I wasn't even looking for that as a potential problem.

2) It has an odd slider issue. The side-to-side play is a minimal, or close to as minimal, as I have encountered (closed or open). There is no oreo effect, and the action is clean. ****, when open, there is some front-to-back wiggle, between the gesture area and the back half of the device. Touching the gesture area or the menu bar feels like I'm tapping on a Morse code key. It's not floppy, but it is noticeable and annoying (like the moving/clicking screen on a Blackberry Storm). I do virtually all my work with the Pre with the slider open and have noticed a slight lack of responsiveness (i.e., sometimes the menu bar apps don't wake up the first couple of times that I touch them, because of the movement). Out of 10 devices, this is the first time I have experienced this.

I have had build issues before and they are bothersome, but I have generally waited (but NOT hoped) for something big and noticeable to fail before bringing the phone in, because it is a pain arguing over little things and HUGE pain swapping phones. But this is genuinely annoying because I notice the click every time I touch the screen and especially if something doesn't respond to my touch.

Anyone else deal with this? If so, did you get used to it?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  2.    #2  
    Nobody?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Time for Pre #11?
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So, Pre number 10 is here and I have two odd complaints...
    My honest opinion is that you are never going to find a phone that you are satisfied with.

10 Pre's? 10???? I would have lost patience by the 3rd one. You are searching for that elusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....you'll never find it.

I'm on my first Pre, got it launch day, was 3rd in line. The only issue I've had was with the power button recently and it's been fixed, so far so good.

I don't know what you are doing to your phones but I have a difficult time believing that you've had 10 Pre's that all had problems which justified an exchange.

If you are looking for advice, get something else.
    10 pres,,o god,,obsesive compulsive anyone?
    My 8th one was the wrong shade of black, so on to #9... ;-)
  7.    #7  
    Thank you all for your responses and for your benefit of the doubt. For the record...

Pre 1: Opening day Pre. Bricked on one of the software updates. Even got the Sprint tech to try to WebOS Doctor and it didn't save it.

Pre 2: Overheated on the USB charger and the screen fried

Pre 3: Perfect in every way until I dropped it and dented the screen. THIS one was my fault. Paid my Co-Pay.

Pre 4: Showed up from Assurion with cracks along the edge of the LCD, under the outside screen. Didn't know what they were, had Sprint look at it. They advised a swap.

Pre 5: Power button failed, AND slider short circuited. Got to watch orange and green burst of color on the screen. Very entertaining.

Pre 6: Locked up while loading music via USB . Removed/replaced battery and it came up to the Palm screen and froze there. Doctored it 4 times. Process ran successfully but came out the other end still freezing at the Palm screen. Took it to the store the next day, they said they would order one and I said I could not leave without a phone.

Pre 7: Refurb. Terrible slider (on verge of separating) terrible oreo effect, AND most importantly, very poor touch screen response. Returned same day, insisted upon brand new one.

Pre 8: Brand new and perfect until last weekend. Stress crack in USB port formed heading towards screen. Since I don't use the USB unless necessary, it should never have happened. I brought it to the Sprint store to be looked at, didn't ask or argue, and they offered to replace.

Pre 9: Just got it Friday. Refurb. Bad microphone (had to yell to be heard), cannot maintain call connection, even with 5 bars and in areas with high coverage. Heats to burning hot whenever in use (no patches, no overclocking no nothing).

Pre 10: Seems to be fine, except the cheaper feel and the Morse code tapping effect on the gesture area and launcher menu, when using while open.

So, out of 10 devices, only ONE could even remotely be considered an anal retentive issue, and it actually affects the responsiveness of the device (i.e., I touch the menu arrow 2-3 times before it responds, because the gesture area actually moves when I touch it, decreasing sensitivity).

Now that we have that out of the way (apologies for doubting, anyone?), has anyone else experienced anything like this? Have you gotten a replacement and had it feel like it was poorer made than the one you had? Have you had back-and-forth movement in the gesture area? Did you just live with it or return it?

Thanks!
    if it were me and I had the hardware issues you did I would be happy with a lil wobble and leave it as is.

seriously for only 1 in 5 devices too be good, you've had some seriously bad luck
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    if it were me and I had the hardware issues you did I would be happy with a lil wobble and leave it as is.

seriously for only 1 in 5 devices too be good, you've had some seriously bad luck
    That is some sage advice. I would be inclined to agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Thank you all for your responses and for your benefit of the doubt. For the record...

Pre 1: Opening day Pre. Bricked on one of the software updates. Even got the Sprint tech to try to WebOS Doctor and it didn't save it.

Pre 2: Overheated on the USB charger and the screen fried

Pre 3: Perfect in every way until I dropped it and dented the screen. THIS one was my fault. Paid my Co-Pay.

Pre 4: Showed up from Assurion with cracks along the edge of the LCD, under the outside screen. Didn't know what they were, had Sprint look at it. They advised a swap.

Pre 5: Power button failed, AND slider short circuited. Got to watch orange and green burst of color on the screen. Very entertaining.

Pre 6: Locked up while loading music via USB . Removed/replaced battery and it came up to the Palm screen and froze there. Doctored it 4 times. Process ran successfully but came out the other end still freezing at the Palm screen. Took it to the store the next day, they said they would order one and I said I could not leave without a phone.

Pre 7: Refurb. Terrible slider (on verge of separating) terrible oreo effect, AND most importantly, very poor touch screen response. Returned same day, insisted upon brand new one.

Pre 8: Brand new and perfect until last weekend. Stress crack in USB port formed heading towards screen. Since I don't use the USB unless necessary, it should never have happened. I brought it to the Sprint store to be looked at, didn't ask or argue, and they offered to replace.

Pre 9: Just got it Friday. Refurb. Bad microphone (had to yell to be heard), cannot maintain call connection, even with 5 bars and in areas with high coverage. Heats to burning hot whenever in use (no patches, no overclocking no nothing).

Pre 10: Seems to be fine, except the cheaper feel and the Morse code tapping effect on the gesture area and launcher menu, when using while open.

So, out of 10 devices, only ONE could even remotely be considered an anal retentive issue, and it actually affects the responsiveness of the device (i.e., I touch the menu arrow 2-3 times before it responds, because the gesture area actually moves when I touch it, decreasing sensitivity).

Now that we have that out of the way (apologies for doubting, anyone?), has anyone else experienced anything like this? Have you gotten a replacement and had it feel like it was poorer made than the one you had? Have you had back-and-forth movement in the gesture area? Did you just live with it or return it?

Thanks!
    im surprised u havent gotten the headset hardware issue
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

wow...just wow...

we have 4 VZW Pre Plus' (actually 5 counting the one my 16yr old daughter broke in half...literally...the amazing part is the battery STILL charges on the Touchstone!!) and the ONLY problem we have with any of em is (lucky me) my original one has the keystroke problem. i just haven't taken it back for an exchange cuz i dont like the fact that they replace em with a refurb, so i've been using the extra one we have and using my original one as a developer device.

but your luck sucks dude....no offense
    "I can't believe how cool this phone is..." (every iPhone user that has seen it )
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenme View Post
    wow...just wow...

we have 4 VZW Pre Plus' (actually 5 counting the one my 16yr old daughter broke in half...literally...the amazing part is the battery STILL charges on the Touchstone!!) and the ONLY problem we have with any of em is (lucky me) my original one has the keystroke problem. i just haven't taken it back for an exchange cuz i dont like the fact that they replace em with a refurb, so i've been using the extra one we have and using my original one as a developer device.

but your luck sucks dude....no offense
    None taken. To be fair, the Plus is a better made phone. I actually take stock in the fact that I am in the extreme minority. If not, there would be a massive recall. It would just be ugly.

If I could, I would buy a Pre Plus, for cheap, and activate it on Sprint (which one guy said he did. He said he got Tier 2 tech support to activate it, then he doctored it with the Sprint image). But my insurance wouldn't cover it if it failed.