Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi, I would like to start this thread to get everyone's opinion. Please feel free to throw all your suggestions, comments or thoughts on the following questions.

I am a T-Mobile (US) customer for a long time. I have no plans or thoughts leaving T-Mobile as no other carrier can beat the price I'm paying with T-Mobile (not even Metro PCS or Cricket). Anyway, I don't know if T-Mobile or HPalm is cooking something in the back burner on bringing WebOS in to T-Mobile's network. It's been more than a year that i have been waiting to get a WebOS device to replace my Treo Pro and up until now we haven't heard anything from T-Mobile. I know that AT&T's Palm Pre Plus will not support T-Mobile's 3G but I'm not that concern as I am on that situation right now and it doesn't bother me.

Questions:

1. Is it worth buying a Palm Pre Plus from AT&T for 399.99 and ask them to unlock it since it wasn't subsidised or I'm just wasting my hard earned dollar?

2. For setting-up multiple push accounts on the Palm Pre Plus, is it even obvious the speed difference bettween getting connected to AT&T's 3G vs T-Mobile's Edge?

3. What limitations I would have if I use AT&T's Palm Pre Plus on T-Mobile (functionality wise)?

4. Is the Google Voice application for WebOS comparable to Android's Google Voice solution (Meaning, can I set it up so that it will automatically use Google Voice for all outgoing calls or set it to prompt me which one I wanted to use from the local WebOS Phonebook?

5. Any other warnings or comments that I should be aware of prior to making my final decision to purchase AT&T's Palm Pre Plus?

Just like I said, please feel free to throw all your comments.

Thank you,

Russell
    I'm not really going to be uself but for unlocking this may be help http://m.forums.precentral.net/gsm-p...bile-free.html
    I cant speak to using the phone "off-network". I don't know if you would run into any issues getting updates or anything else but I can speak to owning the phone without a 3G network. My carrier is Sprint and we only have EDGE where I live. The phone is still awesome. I can still stream audio, push gmail works great, the only thing that I've tried to use that is bad on EDGE is streaming video & YouTube. With the built in wifi and homebrew patches that let you download the files to play on the phone at a later time, I don't feel like I'm missing much. I question rather or not the money you'd save on your monthly plan would come close to the subsidy you give up in the purchase of the hardware--Especially when you consider insuring the phone. I'm not sure I would recommend dropping $399.00 for a phone and not being able to insure it. Today, the phone is $0.01 on Amazon.com. That is a subsidy of $16.67 per month. I don't know what you are paying per month on T-Mobile but make sure you factor in the $16.67 per month that you save by not having to pay $399.00 up front.

Also, check pricing at Sprint. I was looking at T-mobile a couple of years ago and found that Sprint's pricing was actually better on unlimitted Data plans when they rolled out their Everything Data plans. I've been happy with Sprint over the past year.
    I'm not sure what the pricing models are today, but a coworker sent me this recently:
    How much does a smartphone really cost?

It basically gives a real comparison of costs for smartphones per network in a nice chart.

According to that you can expect to pay more for a smartphone on t-mobile than sprint, and it would be much more reasonable to go with Sprint than attempting to get a Pre on T-Mobile, which very well might cause you problems. Which will allow you to get a cheaper price for the phone if you go on contract, so don't forget to factor that in as well.
    Also, you probably wouldn't come close to needing the unlimitted calling Add-on with Sprint because they give you Unlimitted calls to mobile phones on all carriers anyway. My wife and I together only used 120 anytime minutes last month as a result of most of our calls falling under mobile-to-mobile, nights/weekends, etc.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    Also, you probably wouldn't come close to needing the unlimitted calling Add-on with Sprint because they give you Unlimitted calls to mobile phones on all carriers anyway. My wife and I together only used 120 anytime minutes last month as a result of most of our calls falling under mobile-to-mobile, nights/weekends, etc.

Unfortunately, I need true unlimitted minutes as my average land line calls (Grocery Stores) is about 2500 per month. Right now I am paying $119 plus tax with a 15% Discount from where I work for on 2 Lines (Family Plan) Unlimitted Minutes, Unlimitted Text and Data. So I don't know even Sprint can beat that. I asked Sprint about 6 months ago and they said that they can provide me 15% from where I work so it's a wash on the discount part. Just you you guys know as well, I have been out of contract for at least 6 years with T-Mobile so I have a luxury (if I want to) to get a better deal by just telling them I'm leaving the company.