Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Hi

    I've been doing almost all of my texting through Google Voice lately, but I'm not particularly fond of the the email notifications. And of course, using the webapp means no notifications.

    Is there another way to get Google Voice SMS notifications?
  2. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    Hi

    I've been doing almost all of my texting through Google Voice lately, but I'm not particularly fond of the the email notifications. And of course, using the webapp means no notifications.

    Is there another way to get Google Voice SMS notifications?
    I'm not sure I follow....When I receive a text to my Google Voice number, I get an alert at the bottom of the screen just like any text to my Sprint number would generate, and I just click that to read the text in the Messaging App. You're saying that you don't get a text alert, but rather an incoming e-mail to notify you of the text?
  3.    #3  
    Do you have Google Voice forwarded to your normal Sprint/etc number? (It's enabled by default, so if you didn't turn it off, you're actually getting double SMS for every Google Voice text.) Sounds like you do.

    The point is to NOT use normal SMS.
  4. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    Do you have Google Voice forwarded to your normal Sprint/etc number? (It's enabled by default, so if you didn't turn it off, you're actually getting double SMS for every Google Voice text.) Sounds like you do.

    The point is to NOT use normal SMS.
    My google voice number rings my cell and office numbers during business hours, and just my cell after hours. Any text messages to the google voice number come through on the cell at any hour. I never receive any double texts - single texts if the message is sent to my google voice number, and single text if it's sent to my Sprint number. Something may be corrupted and/or improperly set on your account? I suggest checking with Google for support on this issue.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    My google voice number rings my cell and office numbers during business hours, and just my cell after hours. Any text messages to the google voice number come through on the cell at any hour. I never receive any double texts - single texts if the message is sent to my google voice number, and single text if it's sent to my Sprint number. Something may be corrupted and/or improperly set on your account? I suggest checking with Google for support on this issue.
    I think you're not understanding how Google Voice works.

    If you get a GV text, you'll get it at google.com/voice (this is the original text). You'll ALSO get one one your phone, since you have SMS forwarding enabled (this is the forward). 1 + 1 = 2.

    Also in your previous reply you said "and I just click that to read the text in the Messaging App". How are you opening Google Voice texts in the Messaging App? The only way is if it was being forwarded.
    Last edited by JohnnyRockets; 06/16/2010 at 03:43 PM.
  6. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    I think you're not understanding how Google Voice works.

    If you get a GV text, you'll get it at google.com/voice (this is the original text). You'll ALSO get one one your phone, since you have SMS forwarding enabled (this is the forward). 1 + 1 = 2.

    Also in your previous reply you said "and I just click that to read the text in the Messaging App". How are you opening Google Voice texts in the Messaging App? The only way is if it was being forwarded...
    I understand perfectly how Google Voice works. I was just trying to help. If the info I provide doesn't help, I'm sorry to have bothered you. Yes, I understand the texts I receive on my phone can also be read at google.com/voice, but that's of no consequence to me. I hardly ever even go to the website. Voicemails are emailed to me, and I can listen to them straight from the Pre by clicking the link in the notifications I receive.

    Regarding the text messages to the Google Voice number, yes they are forwarded to the cell phone, and that's how I read them in the messaging app. The fact that an extra copy resides archived on the Google Voice website is, again, of no consequence to me. The way I read your original post, it sounded like you were saying that you received two copies of each text to your Google Voice number on the phone - one copy for your Google number and the other copy for your cell phone number - that's what didn't make sense to me. If you meant that you receive one on the phone and one remains on the website (for archiving), that's perfect so far as I'm concerned. That's the functionality I actually want (and I think Google intends to provide).

    Anyway, if my info didn't help, sorry.
  7.    #7  
    The issue is that I am not using an unlimited texting plan. I use Google Voice so I can send any number of texts.

    However, without the SMS forwarding, there are no notifications. I was wondering if there was a way to do this without SMS forwarding and without email forwarding.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    The issue is that I am not using an unlimited texting plan. I use Google Voice so I can send any number of texts.

    However, without the SMS forwarding, there are no notifications. I was wondering if there was a way to do this without SMS forwarding and without email forwarding.
    Not that I know (I also do NOT have a regular texting plan). I have my GV texts forwarded to my Gmail which I have set on my Pre+ to get email as it arrives. When the text arrives in Gmail, you get the WebOS email notification...and the email is labeled (SMS) so you know its a text message. Then you just reply to that email (in Gmail) and it will text back the person. So its pretty slick as far as I'm concerned...works great. Best of all, I never have to pay for texting again.

    However, I think you would prefer an app to handle just the texting (or have the Messaging app handle it)...but as far as I know, there is no such app anywhere. That would be great if the Messaging app can integrate it.
  9. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
    The issue is that I am not using an unlimited texting plan. I use Google Voice so I can send any number of texts.

    However, without the SMS forwarding, there are no notifications. I was wondering if there was a way to do this without SMS forwarding and without email forwarding.

    You can use YouView APP with Google Voice.

    Then you do not have to send ANY sms or email message to your phone. It will be all there in the app.


    Confirmed to work (I am doing this myself)

Posting Permissions