1.    #1  
    I'm a 1 day Pre owner, so I'm totally new at this. I will be using a Sprint Pre on another carrier.

The pre is running 1.4.1, but I'm wondering if I'll be eligible to receive OS updates since I won't be on a supported carrier.

How will I get those updates when they come?
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneboy View Post
    I'm a 1 day Pre owner, so I'm totally new at this. I will be using a Sprint Pre on another carrier.

The pre is running 1.4.1, but I'm wondering if I'll be eligible to receive OS updates since I won't be on a supported carrier.

How will I get those updates when they come?

This might very well not apply to you so see the below posts first.
    [I think your known as a row user, or something similar. Anyway I think your update will be pushed out 1-2 hours before the official carriers. There is probably some threads that have already dicussed this so you might want to do a quick search for better info.

As for getting the update, just check the update app.]

Is your unlock method a full unlock?
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/16/2010 at 11:09 AM.
    What carrier are you going to be using your Pre on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    What carrier are you going to be using your Pre on?
    That was my first thought, Sprint is CDMA and I was curious who else he is talking about...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    That was my first thought, Sprint is CDMA and I was curious who else he is talking about...?
    I'm expecting Cricket... Which would mean OP would be stuck on WebOS 1.3.1 or 1.3.5
    I'm expecting Cricket... Which would mean OP would be stuck on WebOS 1.3.1 or 1.3.5
    I discounted cricket when I saw 1.4.1 in his statement. Could he be using his cdma elsewhere?
    Is it possible just to wait until the WebOSDoctor comes out and just run that to update? Or will all of the work done to get the phone on another carrier be lost? Just some thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I discounted cricket when I saw 1.4.1 in his statement. Could he be using his cdma elsewhere?
    Well, he said its running 1.4.1 now, but he will be using it on another carrier. Therefore, it must not be flashed yet for the other carrier. It's a Sprint Pre, so I'm assuming he's in America. I could be wrong though.

If it is Cricket, OP will have to have it flashed at a Cricket store. The latest flash is 1.3.1 (possibly 1.3.5)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Is it possible just to wait until the WebOSDoctor comes out and just run that to update? Or will all of the work done to get the phone on another carrier be lost? Just some thoughts.
    No, you cannot update. That's the problem with using a Pre on unofficial carriers. You usually need someone to make a custom ROM for each WebOS update. People normally charge to flash phones to different carriers.
    No, you cannot update. That's the problem with using a Pre on unofficial carriers. You usually need someone to make a custom ROM for each WebOS update. People normally charge to flash phones to different carriers.
    Gotcha. Good to know.
    On a gsm phone, if it is fully unlocked, ie unlocked from the carrier then I'm pretty sure that you can update.
    How does flashing work on a cdma phone?
    Well, he said its running 1.4.1 now, but he will be using it on another carrier. Therefore, it must not be flashed yet for the other carrier. It's a Sprint Pre, so I'm assuming he's in America. I could be wrong though.

If it is Cricket, OP will have to have it flashed at a Cricket store. The latest flash is 1.3.1 (possibly 1.3.5)
    Yes, now I see the right context. Thought the op said they were on a different network and running 1.4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    On a gsm phone, if it is fully unlocked, ie unlocked from the carrier then I'm pretty sure that you can update.
    How does flashing work on a cdma phone?
    I'm not entirely sure lol. I just know that you need to change a bunch of network settings.

Normally, its not that difficult though. When you update a Sprint Pre on a different network, it will change most of the network settings back to Sprint.
    I'm not entirely sure lol. I just know that you need to change a bunch of network settings.

Normally, its not that difficult though. When you update a Sprint Pre on a different network, it will change most of the network settings back to Sprint.
    I think I read somewhere that you need an esn number to be in the networks database, that still count for flashing?
    So if the network settings are changed, is it possible to meta-doctor those settings back and still be able to use cricket?
    Not particularly sure about any of this, just curious.
    Yea, the ESN has to be in the new carriers system. Some less popular networks around here will add the Pre's ESN though.

You would need more than Metadoctor. You would need to use a full WebOS Doctor that has been modified for the carrier you're using your Pre on.
  16.    #16  
    I left the computer to do yardwork missed a great discussion! To answer questions:
    1. I'll be using it on Cricket, but with no data plan (I'm around wi-fi all the time so why pay for data.)
    2. I'd be fine with just a partial flash (allowing calls and SMS, but no EVDO data.)
    3. The phone actually has 1.4.1.1 right now, but it's sounding like I'll need to downgrade as part of the reprogramming process. Could I keep 1.4.1.1 for a partial flash?
    4. Cricket will allow other phones on their network, but I do need to change the ESN on my Cricket account.

What a great community! I love the Pre so far!
    If you don't need data service, then I believe you can use 1.4. A few members here upgraded from 1.3.1 and they said data no longer worked. Some had issues with calls and sms also.

After updating to 1.4, they had to dial *228 to get everything working again (or something like that). So, when they flash the Cricket ROM to your Pre, you should be on 1.3.1. Feel free to attempt to update though... Just realize there is a good chance something will get messed up.

Overall, I'm really not too familiar with using a Pre on Cricket. There are some people here who are though, so hopefully they'll chime in here with more definite answers.