Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Well i always had the custom kernel from Caj's thread. I always had the first 800MHZ kernel. I installed SPK just for the hell of it. Basically about 2 days ago, i used SPK to uninstall the custom patch, restarted my Pre and then uninstalled SPK. Then i installed Govnah 0.4.5 through the feeds and uber kernel through the feeds. Today, i learned that there was a new version of uber kernel available, i went and downloaded it and then tried to restart as i was prompted to and the Pre went crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Well i always had the custom kernel from Caj's thread. I always had the first 800MHZ kernel. I installed SPK just for the hell of it. Basically about 2 days ago, i used SPK to uninstall the custom patch, restarted my Pre and then uninstalled SPK. Then i installed Govnah 0.4.5 through the feeds and uber kernel through the feeds. Today, i learned that there was a new version of uber kernel available, i went and downloaded it and then tried to restart as i was prompted to and the Pre went crazy.
    The key question I'm looking for the answer to is whether you accepted an OTA update with a previous overclocking solution installed (any of the ones earlier than UberKernel) ... can you confirm whether this is the case?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The key question I'm looking for the answer to is whether you accepted an OTA update with a previous overclocking solution installed (any of the ones earlier than UberKernel) ... can you confirm whether this is the case?

-- Rod
    No at first. Here's the story. Actually, i uninstalled the 800mhz patch as advised by CaJ, then after i did the OTA update to 1.4.1.1, my pre was having problems with WiFi, so i called Palm and they sent me a new phone. This was a couple of days after the OTA update, about 2 days. So my new phone came with the i.4.0 kernel and then i installed the 800mhz kernel not seeing that i have to update to 1.4.1.1, which i alter discovered and then updated with the 800 mhz installed in the Pre.

I duplicated what i did before and nothing happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    No at first. Here's the story. Actually, i uninstalled the 800mhz patch as advised by CaJ, then after i did the OTA update to 1.4.1.1, my pre was having problems with WiFi, so i called Palm and they sent me a new phone. This was a couple of days after the OTA update, about 2 days. So my new phone came with the i.4.0 kernel and then i installed the 800mhz kernel not seeing that i have to update to 1.4.1.1, which i alter discovered and then updated with the 800 mhz installed in the Pre.

I duplicated what i did before and nothing happened.
    Thanks. Through no fault of your own (you didn't realise the replacement phone was not up to date), you have been bitten by the problem of leaving a non OTA-safe SPK kernel installed when accepting an OTA update.

I expect I'm going to be cleaning up this SPK mess that I warned the SPK author (and the public) about months ago for many months to come ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Same thing happened to me. Thanks to WebOSDoctor and Save/Restore I'm back in business.
    • I had uberkernel 1.4.1.1-21 installed.
    • I uninstalled it using App Launcher.
    • I installed F104 using WebOSQuickInstall 3.14.
    • I added the feeds to get Govnah 0.4.5, and the -37 of UberKernel.
    • Installed the stock kernel from Preware. Ok.
    • Installed 37 from Preware. Rebooted into reboot cycle.
    • Doctored.

Trying to get 37 installed now and searching for the commands to run to enable compcache.
  6.    #26  
    Im still recovering from the hit over here lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg123 View Post
    Same thing happened to me. Thanks to WebOSDoctor and Save/Restore I'm back in business.
    • I had uberkernel 1.4.1.1-21 installed.
    • I uninstalled it using App Launcher.
    • I installed F104 using WebOSQuickInstall 3.14.
    • I added the feeds to get Govnah 0.4.5, and the -37 of UberKernel.
    • Installed the stock kernel from Preware. Ok.
    • Installed 37 from Preware. Rebooted into reboot cycle.
    • Doctored.

Trying to get 37 installed now and searching for the commands to run to enable compcache.
    You should have removed F104 using Preware, rather than using a last-resort recovery kernel to overwrite it. You would have had an upstart event script that does not check for unclean shutdowns still installed from the F104 kernel.

There is a reason for the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging (http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels) - you've just been bitten by one of them not being followed in an experimental kernel that you did not uninstall correctly.

-- Rod
    You should have removed F104 using Preware, rather than using a last-resort recovery kernel to overwrite it. You would have had an upstart event script that does not check for unclean shutdowns still installed from the F104 kernel.

There is a reason for the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging (http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels) - you've just been bitten by one of them not being followed in an experimental kernel that you did not uninstall correctly.

-- Rod
    Hey Rod and team, I am stumped and need a little guidance. I am pretty familiar with using wosqi and preware, I have been staying up on all of the process and procedures to follow with all of the testing patches and kernels. I have tested and used most of kernels. I have not had any issues with removing any of them before, they all have been removed cleanly. I had been using the F104 compcache up until today when I tried to remove and update to the latest and greatest UK. Now, this is what happened with me.

I removed the F104 (or so Ihad thought). My phone rebooted all good, my default mode in MS was set to launch govnah and when it opened, I figured the kernel was gone as it was set back to default speeds with only ondemand and userspace available to select.

so, then, I installed the UK through preware. installed no errors, prompted for a reboot and it was performmed as recommended. My phone did not stick in an infinate loop as some have stated happened when they overlapped their kernels. So, I was checking a few things in preware, my phone is not having any issues at all, govnah opens and all of the stats are displayed no problem, I am able to select all of the govenors and my phone is not having any issues.

When I looked in my installed apps in preware, the UK is installed, BUT I also see the F104 under the Linux apps., I was like, OH NO! what the hell happened?? so, I tried to remove, and the phone reboots before the removal is complete. Does not get removed.

My troubleshooting steps are as follows:

- I removed UK, rebooted
    - I tried to then reinstall F104, reboots and functions again with no issues
    - tried to remove again, and phone reboots prior to removal completion again
    (F104 is actually non-functional at this point, but still shows up as installed)
    - I then removed govnah app and disabled MS, rebooted
    - I tried to remove the F104 once again, still same problem, reboots prior to completion

I have also tried to delete the files that were mentioned in prior posts:
    /etc/event.d/compcache
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    /media/cryptofs/apps/com.unixpsycho.kernel
    .. but I cannot find any of them

(at this time, I should not have any overclocking kernels installed), but I have the following directories:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/.scripts (folder)
    /media/cryptofs/apps/800kernel (folder)

in the .scripts folder, I have 2 folders that have unixpsycho in the folder name, they are:
    - com.unixpsycho.800mhzkernel.webos141
    - com.unixpsycho.kernel
    the webos141 folder has 2 files, they are pmPostInstall.script (124B) & pmPreRemove.script (100B)
    the com.unixpsycho.kernel folder has 1 file, and its pmPreRemove.script (378B)

Also, in the /media/cryptofs/apps/.scripts folder itself, there is 2 files like the webos141 folder, there is a pmPostInstall.script & a pmPreRemove.script, but they are both 0B.

I dont want to move around anything or delete anything cause I dont want to delete the wrong file. Can I just install the recovery kernel and then try and remove the F104 again? I am totally stumped on what to do, trying to avoid using webOS Dr.

Since there shouldnt be any kernels installed at the moment, I'm hoping that I can just delete the kernel files that I see and will be good to go.. (wishfull thinking I know)

anything that you think might help would be greatly apreciated.

SJ
    Last edited by sjsharksfan; 06/18/2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: fix title
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    (at this time, I should not have any overclocking kernels installed), but I have the following directories:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/.scripts (folder)
    /media/cryptofs/apps/800kernel (folder)

in the .scripts folder, I have 2 folders that have unixpsycho in the folder name, they are:
    - com.unixpsycho.800mhzkernel.webos141
    - com.unixpsycho.kernel
    the webos141 folder has 2 files, they are pmPostInstall.script (124B) & pmPreRemove.script (100B)
    the com.unixpsycho.kernel folder has 1 file, and its pmPreRemove.script (378B)
    So you've had a SuperPreKernel (or similar, packaged by the same person) installed on this device previously?

-- Rod
    So you've had a SuperPreKernel (or similar, packaged by the same person) installed on this device previously?

-- Rod

yes, that kernel was able to be removed cleanly. I DO still have the superprekernel (SPK)installation app installed, but that kernel is not. will just having that app on the phone cause issues even if you do not have the kernel installed through there?
    yes, that kernel was able to be removed cleanly.
    Are you sure about that? One of the faults with the SPK packaging (which I pointed out to the author before it was released, but was ignored) is that if you leave it installed while a webOS update occurs, and then later uninstall it, then it will put pack an incorrect version of LunaSysMgr (which, after the kernel, is only one of the most important binaries on the device).

If you can reproduce this problem on a device that has never had that kernel installed, or on a newly doctored device, I'll be happy to look at it closer.

If you want to debug it further yourself, the next step is to compare all your files against the values in the /md5sums file. Any that are different, or any that are not listed in that file, will be the ones you should look at.

-- Rod
    Are you sure about that? One of the faults with the SPK packaging (which I pointed out to the author before it was released, but was ignored) is that if you leave it installed while a webOS update occurs, and then later uninstall it, then it will put pack an incorrect version of LunaSysMgr (which, after the kernel, is only one of the most important binaries on the device).

If you can reproduce this problem on a device that has never had that kernel installed, or on a newly doctored device, I'll be happy to look at it closer.

If you want to debug it further yourself, the next step is to compare all your files against the values in the /md5sums file. Any that are different, or any that are not listed in that file, will be the ones you should look at.

-- Rod
    I had made sure to remove all kernels prior to an update, I havent had the guts to leave on during an webOS update.

I guess my next question would be where to find the /md5sums file and where to compare it to. (forgive my lack of knowledge of linux)

thanks again for your help Rod.

I havent had to Dr my phone yet at all, but but I will if I have to, (really dont want to go that route though)

SJ

edit: I found the file, but not sure how to open it and what to compare to..

edit #2: when I retry to remove, I have the error saying that it cannot rename the *uload.bak*, file does not exist. *I'll get the specific file name if needed, I didnt write it down before the reboot*
    Should I try and reinstall the F104 kernel again remove the SPK app, then try and uninstall F104 again?
    Last edited by sjsharksfan; 06/18/2010 at 05:50 AM.
    I had made sure to remove all kernels prior to an update, I havent had the guts to leave on during an webOS update.

I guess my next question would be where to find the /md5sums file and where to compare it to. (forgive my lack of knowledge of linux)

thanks again for your help Rod.

I havent had to Dr my phone yet at all, but but I will if I have to, (really dont want to go that route though)

SJ

edit: I found the file, but not sure how to open it and what to compare to..

edit #2: when I retry to remove, I have the error saying that it cannot rename the *uload.bak*, file does not exist. *I'll get the specific file name if needed, I didnt write it down before the reboot*
    Should I try and reinstall the F104 kernel again remove the SPK app, then try and uninstall F104 again?
    I think I may have diagnosed my issue (possibly) when I went to reinstall the F104 kernel, I think I used the first release instead of the updated kernel. So, when I reinstalled and then removed, I think I had installed the other by mistake. I am going to try and reinstall the second kernel, then remove it, hopefully it will take care of my issue.. (fingers crossed)
    I think I may have diagnosed my issue (possibly) when I went to reinstall the F104 kernel, I think I used the first release instead of the updated kernel. So, when I reinstalled and then removed, I think I had installed the other by mistake. I am going to try and reinstall the second kernel, then remove it, hopefully it will take care of my issue.. (fingers crossed)
    well, looks like there was an error installing the other kernel, so it must have been the same one that I tried reinstalling and removing ealier. I am too tired to keep workin on this thismorning, gotta sleep.. I hopefully can get it worked out tomorrow..
    thanks for your help Rod, I hope I can grab your attention again tomorrow.

take it easy,
    SJ
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I had same problem and yes I did have the following kernels installed in this sequence, Palm (OEM 1.4.0, 1.4.1.1) SPK, UK, F104 and then tried to install UK -37 update and got the never ending reboot loop. I did make the mistake of removing the F104 via PreWare and installing the Palm Recovery kernel and then the UK -37 all via PreWare. I am sure most of my problem stemmed from the altered files lingering from the months ago removal of SPK (via WOSQI).

I had to do the Orange, sym, R, three finger salute and then the "down volume button" trick to to get to the point where I could get the WebOS Dr to make the house call.

Pleased to say that after "seeing the Doc" was able to get the subsequent iterations of both UK and Govnah loaded via PreWare with no drama. (Testament to RWhitby's continuing admonitions regarding following appropriate SW Dev practices...)

My advice to those of you mucking about with kernels and such...remember these are not "patches" you are replacing the stock Palm OS with a modded OS...there be monsters there if you're not careful!!!
  16.    #36  
    I lost the link to the uber kernel alpha testing. Can some PM it to me please or post it here?
    If the install backed up the palm kernel, How can you do a kernel restore so you don't have to doctor and lose anything?

I too am stuck in restarting hell.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperguy View Post
    If the install backed up the palm kernel, How can you do a kernel restore so you don't have to doctor and lose anything?

I too am stuck in restarting hell.
    I think you'll actually have to have access to the phone inorder to so that. I wonder if repair utility will be able to repair the restarting problem. i never tried it though.
    I updated my kernal via Preware and boom, endless reboot cycle after pressing ok when Preware asked me to restart.

I tried doctoring but @ 1% it told me it can't connect to my Pre.

***?
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    I updated my kernal via Preware and boom, endless reboot cycle after pressing ok when Preware asked me to restart.

I tried doctoring but @ 1% it told me it can't connect to my Pre.

***?
    Which kernel did you update?
    Thunderchief?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast