1.    #1  
    ive been having problems with my wifi recently on myp re, the pre connects perfectly to my wireless router when it is right next to it, as soon as i start walking away the wifi disconects. i know its not my router causing the problem, because my laptop and my hero have no problems connecting to it from long ranges,
    My wifi doesn't work @ all I ran the test.
    "Glen honey, I got a question for you. What do you do for a living?
    "I got a question for you. Why are you still here?"
    #WhatsaDollaHolla! http://up-toprec.webs.com/
    www.reverbnation.com/christophercapicherobbin
    http://soundcloud.com/christopher-capiche-robbin
    www.dopetracks.com/JTMoneyBaggs
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    You're WiFi device may be malfunctioning.

Try running the Pre self tests. Also, under WiFi preferences, make sure the sleep settings are on "Keep WiFi on"
    Update 1.4 messed up the wifi.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Update 1.4 messed up the wifi.
    I'm running 1.4.1.1. WiFi is fine on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    I'm running 1.4.1.1. WiFi is fine on mine.
    What setting are you using?
    Do you leave WiFi on even when the phone is sleeping? Does it remain on?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I leave WiFi on most of the time, even when I am not in range of a router (battery usage seems better if WiFi is left on all the time). I have the sleep setting set to always on.

Since I only have 1x at home (with AirRave) and 1x at work (roaming), I would not be pleased with a malfunctioning WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesolivarez View Post
    the pre connects perfectly to my wireless router when it is right next to it, as soon as i start walking away the wifi disconects. i know its not my router causing the problem, because my laptop and my hero have no problems connecting to it from long ranges,
    I had exactly the same symptoms on a refurb from Asurion. They replaced it with a new one, this one has no problem.

My conclusion is that the wi-fi radio was defective. I didn't know about the self-test, it would have been interesting to do.

By the way, how's your bluetooth? On mine, the bluetooth had static if it was in my pocket or more than arm's length away.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    My conclusion is that the wi-fi radio was defective. I didn't know about the self-test, it would have been interesting to do.
    Could be they had a bad batch. My WiFi is having similar problems - but even though I get full signal, depending on the distance the pre is from the router, the link is degraded to 1 or 5.5 Mbps (can tell by the control panel on the wifi router) and sometimes on the Pre, the Ev is noticeably faster than the WiFi connection because of it.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Could be they had a bad batch.
    Have you attempted to get it replaced?
    Same problem, I figured maybe it was because the wifi in the phone is not as good as the one on my laptop, I guess. I had the same trouble with the Samsung Moment.

I did install some better firmware on the router recently and increased the Tx Power, so now the Pre is not so bad, although it may go in and out at times.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Could be they had a bad batch. My WiFi is having similar problems - but even though I get full signal, depending on the distance the pre is from the router, the link is degraded to 1 or 5.5 Mbps (can tell by the control panel on the wifi router) and sometimes on the Pre, the Ev is noticeably faster than the WiFi connection because of it.
    My EV connection is always faster than my WiFi. It's weird because the last time i check, WiFi is suppose to be faster.
    My EV connection is always faster than my WiFi. It's weird because the last time i check, WiFi is suppose to be faster.
    You're lucky to have a good signal. I have no signal inside my house, so I depend on WiFi at home. When we have guests over, their mobile phone batteries die due to searching for a signal. Very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    You're lucky to have a good signal. I have no signal inside my house, so I depend on WiFi at home. When we have guests over, their mobile phone batteries die due to searching for a signal. Very annoying.
    no actually, i meant to say when i go somewhere with good evdo connection, its faster than WiFi. Sprint coverage sucks at my house. But once i go about 0.5 miles up the street, sprint coverage is awesome!
    no actually, i meant to say when i go somewhere with good evdo connection, its faster than WiFi. Sprint coverage sucks at my house. But once i go about 0.5 miles up the street, sprint coverage is awesome!
    I've had quite the same experience with business travel. The so-called "high speed" access I typically find in hotel rooms is awful. When you connect via wi-fi, you're just making a wireless connection to that router. It may be connecting via a 1200 baud modem (or may just seem like it). In a hotel, you're sharing the connection with whoever else happens to be on. So yeah, EVDO will frequently beat whatever wifi hotspot you have available.