1.    #1  
    There have been no posts in answer to these questions in the Homebrew Apps/"How to" thread, so I’m creating a new thread. Also, that forum wouldn't allow me to create a new thread for some reason.

Anyway, I just recently installed PreWare and joined the Homebrew world. Pretty dang excited about all the apps and patches….BUT….I discovered some post-PreWare and patch installation problems:

For example, my calendar is sluggish as hell. Moving around is slow in that the events don't show up right away when I move to a different day etc. This makes the NUMBER ONE TWEAK I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SINCE THE PRE CAME OUT--NAMELY, THE ABILITY TO COPY CALENDAR ENTRIES QUICKLY FOR ANOTHER DAY (something I can use daily and really miss from my Treo days)--a bit less exciting because the trade-off is sluggishness. Dang!

Does anyone know if this is normal or if there's something that can be done to speed up the calendar?

Other issues:

*My voicemail also often doesn’t connect the first time.

*I used Sprint Navigation and I could not also use any other programs, including the PHONE! The launch bar did not respond at all and, when I reached the destination, I could not close Navigation until after multiple swipes (and shakes..and swearing...).

Anyway, there are many other sluggish or non-responsive issues cropping up. Yesterday, the "too many cards" error kept popping up even though no cards were open. This seemed to occur after I installed the "Switcharoo" app which automatically switches wallpapers--should that cause this?

Does anyone know if there are any particular patches or apps that cause these issues? Did I just download too many tweaks or something? (I confess I did go kinda crazy with downloads that first day!) I never had any problems to speak of with my Pre before I started down the Homebrew road (still have my original device since they came out last year), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    First - I assume you've tried to do a Luna restart and/or a full reboot (including battery pull). This is always something to try if your phone is being sluggish, unresponsive, draining battery at a high rate, or just down right weird.

Second - It's unlikely that Homebrew/Preware/patches as a whole are responsible for your problems. Most of the apps and patches are quite safe and well-behaved. So, what you want to try and do is identify which ones are (perhaps) causing your particular problem(s). I'd suggest that you need to start systematically uninstalling patches (and perhaps apps) to see if you can pinpoint one (or more) causing the slowdown. Start with any Calendar patches, since that's your major complaint, and keep going until your Pre is "clean" or starts behaving better. Does that fix it?

Third - if it's still wonky, you can always use the webOS Doctor to restore your Pre to it's initial state. Just make sure all of you valuable data is stored/synced somewhere you can trust (i.e. NOT the Palm Profile), preferably with redundant copies.
    overclock to 800 MHz
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    What patches did you install?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    try the compcache f102 patch, works like a dream
  6.    #6  
    O.K., regarding your suggestions.

davis.rob: I rebooted with a battery pull just now, so we'll see if that helps.

kkhanmd: I don't know how to "overclock," but I'm willing to learn. But I think I've seen on the main Precentral news page something about that being risky--is that still true?

vza33: As far as patches I've installed, well, let's just say a whole bunch. Here's the list off of Preware:

3000 Autoreplace Words
    4x4 Icons v5
    Actual Words Instead of Icons
    Ad Blocker
    Add Option to Send Link Message
    Advanced Options in Launcher
    Bookmarks List Button
    Call Duration in Call Log
    Change Number of Bookmarks on Startpage
    Dialpad Tones off
    Enable Landscape Email
    Enable Landscape Messaging
    Enter Key for New Line
    Fullscreen Mode Browser
    Fully Transparent Launcher
    Match State to Area Code
    Message Signature
    Multi Mod
    Open to Call Log
    Raise Image Resolution Limit
    Replies Forwards Multi Mod Black Font
    Share Image Message Option
    SMS Vibrate to Two Seconds
    Timestamps Fancy
    Total Message Count
    UberCalendar
    Vibrate to Two Seconds
    Virtual Keyboard (this really doesn't seem so great as it covers up the text and I think I can type faster with the regular keyboard...I don't know...)

Homebrew Apps installed:

Easy Dial List
    LED Torch
    Music Player (Remix)
    Switcharoo Free
    Vibrate Toggle (very cool app!)

(I'm not sure those are all Homebrew, though.)

Do any of those raise your suspicions? Any known problems with any of them etc.?

If the reboot/battery pull doesn't help, I may start uninstalling one-by-one and see if anything makes a difference.

Finally, jmad328is: how do I find the "compcache f102 patch"? I couldn't find it in the lists.

Thank you all for posting!
    re: patches ... none of those raise any warning flags to me (except maybe the Autoreplace Words, I'd try uninstalling that first) . But the problem is that there are so many and you're unlikely to get enough eyeballs on this thread to really find the problem that way. As I said, most patches won't hurt your Pre, but it's certainly possible to get some weird interactions occasionally. Your best bet is either try removing one at a time, or simply starting over.

re: overclock. The current Uberkernel and Govnah combo is very solid as far as the software, but there's always some risk in overclocking because you're pushing the CPU past the speed it's certified for. Overclocking certainly makes your Pre "snappier", but it won't "fix" your problem if some patch (or combination of patches) is really killing your phone.
    Actually I have the 3000 Autoreplace words, and it hasn't given me any problems. I would suggest starting with the VK since it doesn't sound like you're using it much anyway. Nothing else stands out to me, but I'll keep my eyes open for any common patches that may be causing problems.

The patch that is slowing down your calendar is UberCalendar. If you read the thread for that patch, you will find many comments about the way it is slowing down calendar. It's a same becase UberCalendar add a lot of great features. The slowdown is related to thhe API - you can't get all the data for all events at once, they must be gotten one at a time - very slow.

If you want to continue using UberCalendar, the only remedy is overclocking. The easiest way is UberKernal / Govnah. In Preware, install Govnah (it's in apps) and install UberKernal (it's in Available other / Kernal). After a reset, run Govnah to set the speed you want. With a calendar that's not too loaded, I just go to 600 MHz, but you might need faster if your calendar is full.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The patch that is slowing down your calendar is UberCalendar. If you read the thread for that patch, you will find many comments about the way it is slowing down calendar. It's a same becase UberCalendar add a lot of great features. The slowdown is related to thhe API - you can't get all the data for all events at once, they must be gotten one at a time - very slow.

If you want to continue using UberCalendar, the only remedy is overclocking. The easiest way is UberKernal / Govnah. In Preware, install Govnah (it's in apps) and install UberKernal (it's in Available other / Kernal). After a reset, run Govnah to set the speed you want. With a calendar that's not too loaded, I just go to 600 MHz, but you might need faster if your calendar is full.
    That's what I was thinking, I didn't want to say till I did more research. But someone else had the same reaction a few days ago and had the UberCalendar also. So I believe this is the culprit.