1.    #1  
    Considering putting Invisible Shield on my Pre, sure I will experiment with kernels in a few weeks. My (Newbie) understanding is overclocking etc will add to the Pre's operating temperature-and heat can be a problem with electronics.

Do the protective films like Invisible Shield add insulating value to handheld devices like the Pre? I was going to go with a full body-is it better to just get the screen protection. Anyone noticed a difference with/without protective film shields on operating temps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni01 View Post
    Considering putting Invisible Shield on my Pre, sure I will experiment with kernels in a few weeks. My (Newbie) understanding is overclocking etc will add to the Pre's operating temperature-and heat can be a problem with electronics.

Do the protective films like Invisible Shield add insulating value to handheld devices like the Pre? I was going to go with a full body-is it better to just get the screen protection. Anyone noticed a difference with/without protective film shields on operating temps?
    First... nope, if the films add anything it is not noticeable and probably only measurable with very precise equipment. So protect away.

Second... Yes running a processor with increased cycles CAN cause it to run hotter, however there are many more factors that affect heat. There are many threads that discuss this but some people have reported their Pre runs cooler while OC'd at 800 MHz all the time. While others experience higher heat issues when scaling from say 250 to 800 based on need.

The radios in your phone are probably a greater contributor to heat than your processor and since OC'd Pre's run better, people spend more time using those radios (ie. wifi, 3g, phone, BT, etc) and thus experience more heat issues after installing an OC Kernel.

So install some of the heat monitoring/warning patches, practice good temp management (open slider, good airflow, cool environment) when using the Pre heavily and if it does get too hot for your comfort level, switch on Airplane mode and hold in front of an A/C vent for a minute and you will be good to go.