Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so my pre was running really slow and stumbiling all over itself. so i said no problem, i'll back it up using pre backup, I'll save it using save restore and off to the doctor I went. well now my phone is wiped clean and I have none of my contacts, paid apps, email accounts, i have to reset up everything!! why the love can't palm make a decent backup utility for the phone? what a pain in the left ventricle this is.

I love this os but some times its just bs!

I really do appreciate all the hard work and creative genius of the webos community and its developers

I'm just a bit cupcaked-off right now
    good night
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/15/2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Don't let the forum auto censor you, keep things PG-13 please. Thanks
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    I know you're mad, but you've got to be a little more descriptive. Let's see if we can help your out

We have tons of very knowledgeable people on this forum.
    Have you tried a reboot? That may help your Pre's performance...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  4.    #4  
    thanks, I have rebooted, used the repair utility a few times just for good measure. the phone was having alot of lag and started to get the
    "too many cards" error, which it previously rearly got. I tried uninstalling the most recent patches I had tried, didn't help, I removed the most recent homebrews, no change. it got worse and worse, so I backed it up in everyway i could think, and proceded to wipe it clean. in the prebackup thread it says to shut off the palm profile backup utility so as to not interfer with the restore. well when its all said and done, I got nothing. the save restore thread says that i should be able to restore all my patches by going to preware and just hitting update all or something like that. nope that doesn't seem to be avaialble.

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    I'm a little confused. What are you having problems with, the official Palm backup, or homebrew backup utilities?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6.    #6  
    in an attempt to have a more complete back up, i used the homebrew backups.

Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    thanks, I have rebooted, used the repair utility a few times just for good measure. the phone was having alot of lag and started to get the
    "too many cards" error, which it previously rearly got. I tried uninstalling the most recent patches I had tried, didn't help, I removed the most recent homebrews, no change. it got worse and worse, so I backed it up in everyway i could think, and proceded to wipe it clean. in the prebackup thread it says to shut off the palm profile backup utility so as to not interfer with the restore. well when its all said and done, I got nothing. the save restore thread says that i should be able to restore all my patches by going to preware and just hitting update all or something like that. nope that doesn't seem to be avaialble.
    When you launch Preware look for "Installed Packages" then click on "update". It will create an installed package list. Then you go into save/restore and make sure Preware is set to on, then Save all.

Then after you Dr. your phone install Preware and Save/Restore, Launch Preware, choose "Installed Packages" then click on "update". It will create an installed package list. Then go into Save/Restore and select Restore and Restore all.

Now when you go back into Preware your saved list of patches and homebrew apps from before the Dr. will be there. You may update/install them individually or choose Update all for it to run through everything.
  8.    #8  
    thats great, and thankyou. would the installed package list be saved any where else? I have already doctored the phone. I did copy the usb portion of my pre to my computer before the dr. visit. also, how can I get my palm profile stuff back?

so I backed it up in everyway i could think, and proceded to wipe it clean. in the prebackup thread it says to shut off the palm profile backup utility so as to not interfer with the restore. well when its all said and done, I got nothing.
    If you turned off the back up it deletes your palm profile, did it not give you this warning when you turned it off?
    Did you check the saved package list after restoring the preware data from save/restore.
  10.    #10  
    it did, prebackup utility thread said to shut it off so that is would restore properly.

the preware option in save/restore, when i select restore just switches the on/off toggle to off

thats great, and thankyou. would the installed package list be saved any where else? I have already doctored the phone. I did copy the usb portion of my pre to my computer before the dr. visit. also, how can I get my palm profile stuff back?
    Well, if you didn't already have it backed up using the procedures above, then no. Your installed package list wouldn't have made it through the Dr.

But now that you know... re-install your homebrew stuff and then do the Installed Package list in Preware and save/restore so you will have a copy and then update both anytime you install something from Homebrew.

Now, depending on how long it has been since your profile backed up, you can call Palm and have them roll it back to a date when your data was there. They will have you do an "Apps and Data Erase" which basically reloads your profile. Then verify all your app catalog apps, contacts and memos are back. If they aren't then call Palm back and go back further.
    it did, prebackup utility thread said to shut it off so that is would restore properly.

the preware option in save/restore, when i select restore just switches the on/off toggle to off
    Did you go into Preware and actually create the Saved package list before doing restore? The file isn't there to replace until you create one to start with.
  13.    #13  
    no i didn't I guess i missunderstood how it worked. I understand now though. I am currently chatting with Palm and following your instructions about the profile back dating stuff. thanks again i really appreciate the help.

14.    #14  
    Palm said that they cannot restore from a previous date once the backup has been shut off. all data is removed from the server

15.    #15  
    an update. here is what I posted in the prebackup utility thread

I got it all back, well mostly thankyou for the quick response. and sorry for the freak out. I have restored everything using the method you have suggested, I actually read in an earlier post by you about replacing the PalmDatabase.db3 file. I did this using webos quickinstall and unzipping the tar.gz file on my computer. I then reran the prebackup restore, before resetting I opened my email, calander, contacts, memos and anything else I could think off, then reset the phone and now everything is back. I am still trying to get preware to restore all my patches. I keep getting an ipkg error, the log says "failed -1 invalid or missing filename parameter"

I can deal with restoring patches no problem, I just freaked when it was like midnight and all my info was gone, anyways now my life is back to normal (over exaggeration) and my "pre" world is at peace.

thanks again.

I can deal with restoring patches no problem, I just freaked when it was like midnight and all my info was gone, anyways now my life is back to normal (over exaggeration) and my "pre" world is at peace.

thanks again.
    Congrats and welcome back to the world of the relatively calm.
    Welcome back, I suggest never doctoring your phone unless you are in critical condition, Not just cause you think your phone is slow.

reset.
    go through your apps and make sure they are not fishing for informations every 5 minutes, so if you have 10 apps looking for crap on the internet every 5 minutes then your phone is pretty much always doing something cause they don't always connect at the same time. So 5 apps could search every minute for new email, GPS,facebook, MSN.

Remember it's just a phone, not a computer. Mulitasking is still in beta in the world of smartphones, maybe in 10 years we'll have some super nice mulitasking

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Welcome back, I suggest never doctoring your phone unless you are in critical condition, Not just cause you think your phone is slow.
    I am curious why you would suggest that.

The last several versions of the Dr. leave your USB partition intact, so your pics, music and anything else you have put there will be there when the Dr. is done and with the Preware Saved Package List backed up using Save/Restore, Preware Backup utitility and of course, your Palm Profile, Dr'ing is painless and fairly quick.

Dr'ing from time to time is in fact a good way to make sure you don't have anything hanging around that might cause you problems and also get rid of stuff you don't use anymore. There are a number of threads here in the forums that will walk you through step by step to ensure you get back up and running with everything you want/need.
  19.    #19  
    I agree, now that i understand how to backup/restore what i got.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I am curious why you would suggest that.

The last several versions of the Dr. leave your USB partition intact, so your pics, music and anything else you have put there will be there when the Dr. is done and with the Preware Saved Package List backed up using Save/Restore, Preware Backup utitility and of course, your Palm Profile, Dr'ing is painless and fairly quick.

Dr'ing from time to time is in fact a good way to make sure you don't have anything hanging around that might cause you problems and also get rid of stuff you don't use anymore. There are a number of threads here in the forums that will walk you through step by step to ensure you get back up and running with everything you want/need.
    I'd actually lean to more a happy medium, although I don't completely agree that people should never doctor their phone unless it is considered "critical" which can be defined by any user as different. I also see that people run the doctor far to often when it doesn't become necessary. The doctor should be though of as the end all be all of tech support, when all else fails run the doctor, there are times (even reading this forum) where a customer has an issue and the first response is a doctor. It's great if that has worked for you (no not you personally, but in a general sense), but it's not the answer for everyone. Many times the issue can be resolved, by either
    a. understanding the true nature of the device and how it works
    b. being able to identify that the issue is just a bug in the system (not necessarily easy for the average user, quite easy for me)
    c. following easier, simpler troubleshooting steps (e.g. restart, partial erase)
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast