Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I'd actually lean to more a happy medium, although I don't completely agree that people should never doctor their phone unless it is considered "critical" which can be defined by any user as different. I also see that people run the doctor far to often when it doesn't become necessary. The doctor should be though of as the end all be all of tech support, when all else fails run the doctor, there are times (even reading this forum) where a customer has an issue and the first response is a doctor. It's great if that has worked for you (no not you personally, but in a general sense), but it's not the answer for everyone. Many times the issue can be resolved, by either
    a. understanding the true nature of the device and how it works
    b. being able to identify that the issue is just a bug in the system (not necessarily easy for the average user, quite easy for me)
    c. following easier, simpler troubleshooting steps (e.g. restart, partial erase)
    If Palm comes up with a way for me to restore all my text messages after doctoring, i'll pretty much doctor my phone every weekend to keep it "fresh".
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I'd actually lean to more a happy medium, although I don't completely agree that people should never doctor their phone unless it is considered "critical" which can be defined by any user as different. I also see that people run the doctor far to often when it doesn't become necessary. The doctor should be though of as the end all be all of tech support, when all else fails run the doctor, there are times (even reading this forum) where a customer has an issue and the first response is a doctor. It's great if that has worked for you (no not you personally, but in a general sense), but it's not the answer for everyone. Many times the issue can be resolved, by either
    a. understanding the true nature of the device and how it works
    b. being able to identify that the issue is just a bug in the system (not necessarily easy for the average user, quite easy for me)
    c. following easier, simpler troubleshooting steps (e.g. restart, partial erase)
    Agreed, I don't do it too often, mainly following a WebOS update after everything has settled and everything I use is running smoothly with it. But have done it to ensure removal of a rogue patch or application.

I also don't normally recommend it to folks, but if they are already going to do it, I like to help them make it as pain free as possible.

But having worked IT in many forms for over 20 years, I can't tell you how many times I would have been better off just re-imaging a server or PC instead of wasting days trying to track the issue down.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12