Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a loyal palm user. I really want to upgrade my Centro to the Pre. But everywhere I look all I see are negative reviews. Is there anyone out there who has purchased a Pre within the last 6 months and loves it? Should I take the plunge?

(FWIW, I'm with Sprint but the EVO is out since I'm not interested in all the extra fees.)

Thanks,
    Danielle
    I've been using my pre now for a while and loving it. Regardless of which phone you choose,there are going to be negativity. I assure you that you will be on the best operating system ever. ;-)
    I would wait a little longer until the next wave of phones come out. If the evo isn't doing it for ya then there will probably be other cool android phones out soon, and although its really just speculation at this point, I feel like there will be a new webos phone out this fall, and wouldn't wanna be stuck with a new pre after the next phone comes out.
    Ps. Now we have a solution for the non-plus users,which get the too many cards error.
    Truthfully, I would just stick it out until the next Palm device is released.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I would wait a little longer until the next wave of phones come out. If the evo isn't doing it for ya then there will probably be other cool android phones out soon, and although its really just speculation at this point, I feel like there will be a new webos phone out this fall, and wouldn't wanna be stuck with a new pre after the next phone comes out.
    Honestly, we don't really know exactly when the new webos phones will be out. What if a person need a palm pre/plus now.... What would be best answer for that question?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Had Pre for 11 months. Love it.
    I'm a launch day user here, bt heres my 2 's. I personally say the Pre. Yes the Evo is newer and it's part of the android family, however I still think the Pre as of now Is a better device. OSes aside, the Evo is having major hardware issues right now, with just the screen itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Honestly, we don't really know exactly when the new webos phones will be out. What if a person need a palm pre/plus now.... What would be best answer for that question?
    Depends how badly they want a new phone. It's on a case-by-case basis. I know some people who have used the same phone for years while some people have to switch every couple of months.

The OP just needs to ask themselves if they are willing to wait until fall for a spanking awesome phone.

What is it that you're looking for your phone to do? That's the more important question to answer. Once you've got that, then those of us who have used both WebOS and Android can give you our opinions and you can decide.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Depends how badly they want a new phone. It's on a case-by-case basis. I know some people who have used the same phone for years while some people have to switch every couple of months.

The OP just needs to ask themselves if they are willing to wait until fall for a spanking awesome phone.
    I understand your point,but the op states that he/she is scared of getting the phone,not waiting until fall or so to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrcsbrooks2 View Post
    I'm a launch day user here, bt heres my 2 's. I personally say the Pre. Yes the Evo is newer and it's part of the android family, however I still think the Pre as of now Is a better device. OSes aside, the Evo is having major hardware issues right now, with just the screen itself.
    I'm not surprised at the Evo issues. HTC pumps out so many phones that they don't QA them. They are also gonna have so many phones that they can't support all them and gonna just update the latest phones. HTC can't possibly have that many resources.

had my sprint palm pre for over 8 monthes now, and I have no complaints. Webos is amazing, and this community is even more so.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I understand your point,but the op states that he/she is scared of getting the phone,not waiting until fall or so to get one.
    If that's the case, then I fully support the Pre. Although I would recommend that the OP wait until fall for the next gen device.

I used to have a Nextel dumbphone and never really dove into the world of smartphones until I got my Pre a month after launch date. Since then I have been consumed by the WebOS community and don't know how I lived without this phone.

Ooh! Isn't that sweet :-) I feel the same way too.
    I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago to replace an aging Treo 650, and am loving it. I was originally just going to get a Centro, but with Classic now fully supporting hotsync decided to take the plunge and check out webOS. Not only is the phone much more reliable, but a lot of the extra features that were just marginal on the Treo work really well on the Pre. I still use a bunch of Classic apps, but the lack of stylus limits me a bit there so I'm gradually adapting to webOS alternatives.

The Pre has its limits, but with such an accessible OS and a strong patch community I'm finding I can fine tune it in ways I couldn't dream of on the Treo.

I'm really glad I didn't wait.
    Pre is an excellent phone, now that there is video recording, I have no reservations about recommending it to anyone. I'd wait until fall also if your centro will make it. I've been around treocentral for a long time, there is always what seems like negative threads, most people don't post UNLESS they are having a problem.

Treo 600 had a poor camera and memory

Treo 650 had a better camera and memory so you didn't lose everything, but not enough memory.

Then there was the windows version vs palm os on, and on...

Treo 755 is when I took the plunge, by then it was so boring because all the kinks had been solved. I got in on webOS asap instead of waiting because I wanted to be part of the excitement bandwagon while all the hacking, modding, and new discoveries were taking place.

All the other treo versions also had the share of "issues", but also a loyal following and those who recommended the product. If my phone dies, if there is another webos already announced, I'll wait and reactivate my 755. If there seems to be no new pre in site, then I'll bite the bullet and pay 100 for a refurb through insurance. Gotta have my pre!
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    ive wanted a pre since launch day. yet i couldnt justify buying a new phone till my Samsung Instinct Died... well it did a few weeks ago...and i bought a new pre on CL to avoid using my upgrade and incase a new palm comes out soon. The Pre is great. Ive had a few issues like random freezing restarts etc but nothing major. Learning how to patch and overclock right away made the phone even better then it was. but IMO not necessary, only if ur trying to match the speeds of the newest stuff out i guess then it falls short but works fine on its own. WebOS is a joy to use and find myself showing everyone i meet this great phone... even a year being out people say " wow cool phone, never heard of it"
    I switched from a Centro to a Palm Pre+ last month (ATT). I wanted to stay with Palm. I too read a lot of these posts before deciding, and I was a bit scared. First there was the griping about the phone (e.g., the "oreo"), then, I was a little intimidated by some of the technical stuff - Preware, WebOSQI, patches, etc! I finally took the plunge because I just liked the phone so much, and again, it's a Palm. Glad I did. It's very easy to use, and I did the add-ons slowly so I felt comfortable. I've had no problems to speak of so far. The phone does everything I need and more, and the fact that there's a work-around for the "cloud" issue (I know, not an issue for most) really sold me. So if what you want is a Palm, then go for it! Oh, and the people here can really be helpful! Great website!

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Don't wait, dive in - water's fantastic!

Remember, every phone has negative reviews (even the Evo, iPhone, etc...). But the Pre has consistently been rated in the top of the pack of smartphones in many reviews. It is a fun phone with a fantastic OS.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast