Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I believe these take it way past speculation:

HP is Not Interested in Making Smartphones | Mac|Life

HP: Palm buy not about smartphones | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

http://www.precentral.net/hp-ceo-we-...phone-business

My point, for originally stating this, and to keep this on topic, was because people are telling the poster to wait for the next WeOS phone. It's like people aren't listening. This all but says there won't be one. to which I say, "so what"? And suggest the poster should get one now.

Why worry about the future, really? The OS will exist, even if it's not on future SmartPhones so it will continue to exist for the foreseeable future. It's an amazing platform, most users have had good luck with hardware, Sprint, Verizon and AT&T will continue to support it for at least another couple of years, even if they get out of selling it, and this amazing group will still be supporting each other (with core members making some amazing innovations).

To me, that's totally worth the price of admission. Again, plenty of phones on Craigslist if you want to hedge your bets.
    I agree with you point that it does not matter, but the quotes are out of date because HP have since confirmed that smartphones are part of their future.
    Quote Originally Posted by daranaco View Post
    I am a loyal palm user. I really want to upgrade my Centro to the Pre. But everywhere I look all I see are negative reviews. Is there anyone out there who has purchased a Pre within the last 6 months and loves it? Should I take the plunge?

(FWIW, I'm with Sprint but the EVO is out since I'm not interested in all the extra fees.)

Thanks,
    Danielle
    I'm not really sure where you're only seeing negative reviews. The Pre has received overwhelmingly positive reviews from what I've seen. It's a great little phone and does everything I need a phone to do. However, in your case I would suggest just sitting tight for a few months. Wait to see what comes out in the fall and before Christmas. It may be that Palm releases another device late this year or early next year.
    I love my pre but i am going to a new phone when i get a upgrade beacause i have had it replaced 8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I agree with you point that it does not matter, but the quotes are out of date because HP have since confirmed that smartphones are part of their future.
    Then I will remain cautiously optimistic, but I still don't anticipate anything for quite some time.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    OP, also keep in mind that this site is full of "power users", hackers, developers and others who won't be satisfied with ANY phone out the box. They will always see something that needs to be fixed, something that needs to be improved, something that they could do better. Webos internals and others have made it very safe to modify the phone, for which I'm very thankful, but many of the complaints heard here, the average user wouldn't even notice. Users coming from phones who are not smart phones, definitely won't notice what some perceive as "missing". (Aside from video recording which has been resolved and barcode scanning, which is forthcoming.) I've had my phone since June 19th, I haven't had to replace it. A little over a month ago my power button came off and sprint fixed it, and then the anchor on the usb cover came off, palm is sending me a new one. I've doctored my phone once, and it didn't need it, I just wanted to do it. I've had some issues with lag, but the phone is much faster than my old treo 755, and I can overclock if I want. I don't think you will regret it if you go with a pre. If you want something similar to the centro, choose the pixi.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    OP, also keep in mind that this site is full of "power users", hackers, developers and others who won't be satisfied with ANY phone out the box. They will always see something that needs to be fixed, something that needs to be improved, something that they could do better. Webos internals and others have made it very safe to modify the phone, for which I'm very thankful, but many of the complaints heard here, the average user wouldn't even notice. Users coming from phones who are not smart phones, definitely won't notice what some perceive as "missing". (Aside from video recording which has been resolved and barcode scanning, which is forthcoming.) I've had my phone since June 19th, I haven't had to replace it. A little over a month ago my power button came off and sprint fixed it, and then the anchor on the usb cover came off, palm is sending me a new one. I've doctored my phone once, and it didn't need it, I just wanted to do it. I've had some issues with lag, but the phone is much faster than my old treo 755, and I can overclock if I want. I don't think you will regret it if you go with a pre. If you want something similar to the centro, choose the pixi.
    I think the OP is talking about online user opinions, rather than your standard reviews.
    Danielle,

My take.....the Pre really is a great phone....provided:

1) You get an example that doesn't suffer from poor build quality. The extremely high return rate for the Pre is a documented fact that is a unfortunate black eye on an otherwise wonderful phone.

2) You don't require the advanced features found on a Blackberry or similar device. For example, if you want your phone to play Yankee Doodle Dandy every time Grandma sends you an e-mail about cupcakes...webOS can't do that (yet).

3) If you are anything but a basic smart phone user you need to except that some of this phones functionality may need to come from the homebrew community at this time. Homebrew is great, even totally amazing, but it's not necessarily for everyone.

That said every phone has it's pros and cons. It really comes down to what you need to do with the phone. In my experience, in most cases, webOS and Pre/Pixi come out on top.

If you like physical keyboards and don't want to watch feature films on your phone then it's the best available handset on the Sprint network right now.

Ryley

I am a loyal palm user. I really want to upgrade my Centro to the Pre. But everywhere I look all I see are negative reviews. Is there anyone out there who has purchased a Pre within the last 6 months and loves it? Should I take the plunge?

Thanks,
    Danielle
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I'll contribute my experience. I have a Pre Plus on Verizon. I actually traded in a Droid Eris for this, mostly because I was a bit fascinated with WebOS. Overall, I am really happy with the phone and it is a lot of fun to use. The internet/browser works very well, and is comparable to the Safari browser on the "iOS" devices. I've never really had any performance issues. I've seen people complain about them though. ( FWIW I do have UberKernel OC'd to 800MHZ).

If I had to pick some cons they would be:
    1. App store is not mature by any means. Part of the problem is lack of user adoption/developer support, but there are some hardware features (eg microphone) that Palm has not opened up access to that limit what can be done on the Pre/Pixi.
    2. Echoing things have said here, there are build issues with the Pre. My pre is getting the "twist" oreo effect thing pretty bad. It's more annoying then anything else, everything still works.
    3. The small form factor has it's pluses, but with 4 inch WVGA screens becoming more common, our tiny 3 inch HVGA screen seems "inadequate" at times.

I have no plans to get rid of the Pre though, I'm enjoying it more then the Eris overall.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    It's pretty bad when you have to go back 3 years to the original iPhone, just to make a point. Back then, it was excusable not to have copy and paste. Very few phones had it. But at least it was a reliable and smooth phone. The Pre has been out for over a year, and it is still not. RIM does not even apply to us, as it is a different phone with a different purpose, and millions of corporate users will tell you that RIM is great at what it does. Android cleaned up significantly, the Pre did not. Did I mention that the Pre has been out for over a year? I can understand giving Palm a pass at initial launch if it promptly fixes problems, but not a year later. And if you bothered to read what I wrote, you would see that a laggy UI is the least of my complaints.
    Exactly. EXACTLY. As far as hardware goes, you can blame first-gen issues on the poor hardware quality control and some design issues. But is it really acceptable that the current OS updated as of April still has issues with crashing, freezing, laggy, etc.? Barely any customization? I don't know if the 1.4.5 update will do, but I still bet it will not run as well as some of the custom kernels here.

@OP: In spite of the software issues, this community is fantastic. I recently installed the compcache experimental kernel which fixes the memory issues (preventing crashes) and overclocks the phone when it's actually in use. And I have a ton of patches installed that allow me to customize the phone in a way that I think should have been allowed by default. It amazes me that the designers of this phone and OS couldn't figure out how to make this phone anywhere near as awesome as the Homebrew community has.

(FWIW, I'm with Sprint but the EVO is out since I'm not interested in all the extra fees.)

Thanks,
    Danielle
    I own 2 (wife's from July 09...mine from Dec 09 / Jan 10 <can't recall exactly>) and both are great. No issues at all.

If you ONLY went by t.v. / newspaper reports of jet transportation....you'd NEVER take a flight. You only read about crashes. They never report "Flight xyz took off on time and landed safely". Same thing here. Few reorts are made for "all is well". One is more motivated to gripe AND (more importantly) it is often that the reports of problems are made to ellicit information on how to fix / what to do.

Summary: it makes sense that more posts will be about problems than successes.
    rlee said it best...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle View Post
    I'll contribute my experience. I have a Pre Plus on Verizon. I actually traded in a Droid Eris for this, mostly because I was a bit fascinated with WebOS. Overall, I am really happy with the phone and it is a lot of fun to use. The internet/browser works very well, and is comparable to the Safari browser on the "iOS" devices. I've never really had any performance issues. I've seen people complain about them though. ( FWIW I do have UberKernel OC'd to 800MHZ).

If I had to pick some cons they would be:
    1. App store is not mature by any means. Part of the problem is lack of user adoption/developer support, but there are some hardware features (eg microphone) that Palm has not opened up access to that limit what can be done on the Pre/Pixi.
    2. Echoing things have said here, there are build issues with the Pre. My pre is getting the "twist" oreo effect thing pretty bad. It's more annoying then anything else, everything still works.
    3. The small form factor has it's pluses, but with 4 inch WVGA screens becoming more common, our tiny 3 inch HVGA screen seems "inadequate" at times.

I have no plans to get rid of the Pre though, I'm enjoying it more then the Eris overall.
    Actually, the thing I like most about the Pre is the small screen/form factor. I think that even the iPhone is a little too big to comfortably carry, so the EVO must a monster. The way I see it, I don't need the phone to watch movies or edit full-length documents. I need it to be a phone, read and write email, music player, basic web browsing when necessary, and maybe youtube once in a while. For those purposes, our device fits the bill perfectly with it's smaller screen size.
    switched from treo680 to pre+. best move i could have made. just installed preware & patches now i'm in heaven. webos rocks, can't wait for the next gen.
    Had my Sprint Pre since October. No issue to report. Kept it stock for 6 months and was very happy with it. Finally dove into the Homebrew and Overclocking World... it's even better now! I never knew this phone could do so much. Very happy with my choice.
    I am a loyal palm user. I really want to upgrade my Centro to the Pre.
    My question would be why are you a loyal Palm user, what is it you are loyal to?
    The Palm that created your Centro doesn't really exist anymore. All that is left is the name and a legal entity (until HP completes its purchase).

The Pre has less in common with your Centro than a Blackberry does. The only things it shares with a Centro is the letters "PALM" and somewhat rubbery keys.

If you decide to buy a Pre, do so because you think it is the best smartphone on the market, not because it says PALM on the case.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Love my Sprint Pre. Got it in August 09, doing great, dozens of patches, tons of apps, no problems. Love pre|central and webOS community. Jump on in, you'll love it. Take the plunge!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    My question would be why are you a loyal Palm user, what is it you are loyal to?
    The Palm that created your Centro doesn't really exist anymore. All that is left is the name and a legal entity (until HP completes its purchase).

The Pre has less in common with your Centro than a Blackberry does. The only things it shares with a Centro is the letters "PALM" and somewhat rubbery keys.

If you decide to buy a Pre, do so because you think it is the best smartphone on the market, not because it says PALM on the case.
    That is actually a very good point. Blind brand (or any other kind) loyalty is a bad thing, because it clouds your judgment and closes you off to other, potentially better products. Example, I have a Toyota Tacoma, which has given me 7 years of flawless, completely trouble-free service. However, if and when I replace it, I will not blindly choose another Toyota. There are certain brands that I will not touch, but a Toyota will not automatically be at the top of my list. Main reason is that I don't think Toyota is the same company it once was. Just like Palm. Hell, it's not even Palm anymore. The above is probably the best advice in this thread.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre (used) about 3 weeks ago, and I'm in love. I came from using a HTC Diamond, which was fun to tweak but was way too laggy and buggy.

The hardware keyboard on the pre is another reason why I bought it, as I cannot stand a virtual keyboard on any phone. The pre's keyboard is very nice IMO.

The community and patches/upgrades from preware make this phone amazing. I understand that I've arrived at the phone late in it's product cycle, but it still seems on the cutting edge for me, and I know that it will keep getting better.

The webOS is by far the best phone OS I've ever used (I've used android, iphone, RIM as well).....and I will probably stay with WebOS until something significantly better arrives. It's just too sexy and comfortable.

This phone is simply as fast as you are. Snappy, responsive (expecially with uberkernel), and sleek. What's not to love?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    What you need to do is decide what features you need on a phone and what features you dont necessarily need but want. Make sure the phone covers all of these otherwise overtime you will start to become annoyed with it because that one little feature is missing and eventually you will want rid of it. Dont factor in rumours and possible future updates, if it doesnt do it now, it might never. I was convinced I would have a full working app catalogue within a month of buying mine, I ended up waiting 6 months for paid apps and im still waiting for a working sat nav as even google maps isnt reliable.

If the palm covers all your wants and needs though then I would say go for it, webos is by far the best phone os ive used ( and i think ive used them all) and although ive read a lot of complaints about the hardware, other than the headphone jack sticking mines been fine.

That being said ive just moved to android even though i still have my pre. It didnt cover all my wants and over time I couldnt stick it out.
    I umm'd and ahhh'd about it for a few months before finally going ahead and buying one (mostly because of the nextgen unlock as I didn't really want to use rebel sim - I'm in New Zealand so no official support). So far I don't regret it one bit.

The hardware is the biggest issue it seems - either I got lucky or most people are really fussy as the only issue I've had was the headphone jack (which was easily fixed in a few minutes by carefully cleaning), no oreo, no buttons falling off etc. I do baby it however as I can't simply return it if things break.

The OS is simply the best, maybe not quite so smooth as the iPhone but no worse than the nexus one I played with. Once you've multitasked on the Pre you'll realise all the others are doing it wrong And with homebrew/patches I can't honestly say I really miss anything.

My only real complaint is the app catalogue is a bit thin, and I'd really like a navigation app (shouldn't be a problem for anyone in the US though). Other than that go for it!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast